General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

BIG news this morning

He’s both  said or implied it repeatedly since he stood last time and then stood and was elected chief minister. It’s just confirmation.

if repeating something known for 4.5 years is big news there really is something wrong.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Still, he got a gig on the telly again. 

Now let Middle get rid of the other useless twat.

What a fat, self serving and attention seeking grandstanding pompous oaf he is. A simple statement to his official news outlet Manx Radio would have been suffice. Nooooooo a exclusive interview with ITV Granada. It’s nice to be able to have the trappings of the media at your disposal especially when it costs you nothing. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

In fairness she isn't much into grandstanding.   Whereas some seem to excel in wasting time tabling stupid questions or unimportant questions, she tends to take matters up privately.  Find out the answer.  Let her constituent know.

I suppose that will be to her detriment though.

Yes, Mrs Corlett would already know the price of a postage stamp and wouldn't have to      

table such a stupid question.

Edited by Holte End
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Interesting HQ has declared he isn’t standing. Why is that? 

Almost certainly for the same reason that any politician voluntarily lets go of the greasy pole - knowledge of impending defeat and an ego that can’t stand it. Humbled 5 years ago; easily knocked into second place by rookie Shimmins and very nearly emptied by rookie Craine. Then 5 years as a dead loss CM. Bound to be emptied at the ballot. No loss whatsoever.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

One swallow doth not make a summer. 

‘One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy’.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Almost certainly for the same reason that any politician voluntarily lets go of the greasy pole - knowledge of impending defeat and an ego that can’t stand it. Humbled 5 years ago; easily knocked into second place by rookie Shimmins and very nearly emptied by rookie Craine. Then 5 years as a dead loss CM. Bound to be emptied at the ballot. No loss whatsoever.

+1

It will be interesting to see the scrap which will ensue to become the new Chief Minister. I would guess it will be between Allinson, Ashford and Cannan. 

I can see see Watterson getting to become El Presidente and raid the dressing up box and to increase his ego. I could picture Ashford as Keys speaker.

I can’t see Boot or Harmer being re-elected and I’ll be very surprised if Baker gets back in. 

A lot of new faces, very little decent intelligent ministerial material to work with. I can picture the Peoples Prince getting a role hopefully something he can’t screw up, like Minister of Enterprise. 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

+1

It will be interesting to see the scrap which will ensue to become the new Chief Minister. I would guess it will be between Allinson, Ashford and Cannan. 

I can see see Watterson getting to become El Presidente and raid the dressing up box and to increase his ego. I could picture Ashford as Keys speaker.

I can’t see Boot or Harmer being re-elected and I’ll be very surprised if Baker gets back in. 

A lot of new faces, very little decent intelligent ministerial material to work with. I can picture the Peoples Prince getting a role hopefully something he can’t screw up, like Minister of Enterprise. 

Howard is supporting Skelly & I expect most of Comin to as well so could be close, Callister won’t get Comin, expect peake if re-elected 

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Any candidate who stands with a manifesto that asserts anything other than their broad vision, and their values, is a fraud. The rest are vapid promises, as there is no power or mandate other than the Chief Ministers. 

Interesting HQ has declared he isn’t standing. Why is that? Has he genuinely had enough, in his early fifties? Or does he know just what a precarious point the Island has reached? We’ve had five years of spaff -profligate spending with little control, and the next administration will have to get a grip. 

But then again, I thought much the same in 2016.

He's done two terms time to claim the big wonga pension!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Any candidate who stands with a manifesto that asserts anything other than their broad vision, and their values, is a fraud. The rest are vapid promises, as there is no power or mandate other than the Chief Ministers. 

Interesting HQ has declared he isn’t standing. Why is that? Has he genuinely had enough, in his early fifties? Or does he know just what a precarious point the Island has reached? We’ve had five years of spaff -profligate spending with little control, and the next administration will have to get a grip. 

But then again, I thought much the same in 2016.

Clearly he actually has more sense than I have ever given him credit for. He scrapped in in 2016 and he obviously managed to engage his brain cell to realise he wasnt making it this time so jumped ship. Sorry but good riddance to a very very bad CM.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We need a CM and indeed politicians who are truly "men (inc ladies a figure of speech) of the people" who can identify with the problems faced by the ordinary man in the street, rather than in their own millionaire status far removed from the concerns of the common man !

• Like 1