General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

2 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Haywood is a weird one. She seems to have positioned herself quite well over the last few years but the Manxonia stuff doesn't look good for her. 

I don't know her but the couple of times I've heard her talk she seems to speak with intelligence and authority, hard to gauge with Rushen how she'd be viewed across the wider area outside of PSM.

4 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Mark is a bit marmite but I've always liked him and to his credit he has been consistently active on social media for the past 5 years about politics not just resurfacing as we get into the final stages before a GE

Yeah I've changed my opinion on him since 2016 too. I think that his political outlook aligns with mine much more than I realised and I think he fundamentally wants to improve people's lives. Whether he has the answers and whether he would have any scope to do so if elected is another question altogether. But pretty sure he'd be getting my vote this time if he stands.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Mark is a bit marmite but I've always liked him and to his credit he has been consistently active on social media for the past 5 years about politics not just resurfacing as we get into the final stages before a GE

A bit Marmite? Some people hate him, while others think he'd look good on the end of a knife

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Almost certainly for the same reason that any politician voluntarily lets go of the greasy pole - knowledge of impending defeat and an ego that can’t stand it. Humbled 5 years ago; easily knocked into second place by rookie Shimmins and very nearly emptied by rookie Craine. Then 5 years as a dead loss CM. Bound to be emptied at the ballot. No loss whatsoever.

Kieran might have kicked his ass too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Doubt he’ll get in Middle, too many middle class types who won’t like his rubbish ideas

Doubt he would get in anywhere.  I certainly hope not.

Lots of business people with lots of real world business experience live in Middle.

The good ones would need to take a pay cut if elected though which is always an issue.

Means those at a time in their lives where they are still raising a family are unlikely to take the hit financially when they have kids to put through uni in the future and also risk being turfed out in 5 years having lost a load of ground in the middle of their working lives.

End result is you get old people, or people who see it as a promotion standing instead with a small number who are sat on enough old family money that it isn't a consideration for them (Howard?)

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 1

The Green Party are holding a public meeting in Rushen tonight, possibly a declaration of Andrew Langan-Newton standing?

Although he only very recently changed jobs which would seem a strange move on the surface

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

During the flood he saw me struggling back from the coop with supplies, and he offered to carry them the last twenty metres back to my home.

Pity the OFT aren’t as visible, may have achieved something!

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

What a fat, self serving and attention seeking grandstanding pompous oaf he is. A simple statement to his official news outlet Manx Radio would have been suffice. Nooooooo a exclusive interview with ITV Granada. It’s nice to be able to have the trappings of the media at your disposal especially when it costs you nothing. 

Further to my previous post, I don’t know anyone has viewed Facebook today. IOMG put a statement out on behalf of HRH The Chief Minister, similar to the one to the press and radio. 

Why? Are we now down to employing Civil Servants to put out press releases, in particular on behalf of its leader, a supposed personal decision not a matter relating to IOMG or running of IOMG. 

I do hope that IOMG press officers didn’t write up this press release? It should be something that he does on his own, without costing the taxpayer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

I'm sure there'll be a new 'Anyone But Alf' candidate for the role

Allinson has had to do a lot of shit shovelling as DESC Minister but I still wouldn't rule him out.