General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

5 hours ago, Banker said:

We need Shimmins to get a grip of budgets, spending etc , he will be treasury minister if Alf becomes CM

Cannan has been Treasury Minister for the last five years.  Shimmins has been a Departmental Member of Treasury for the same period.  If they had wanted to do anything together about the situation of the government, they could have done so.  Or resigned in disgust when they were prevented from doing so.  And then opposed all the spendthrift nonsense from the backbenches.

The fact they did nothing and said very little specific during all that period suggests that if promoted they would continue on in the same way - taking the money and doing whatever their civil service 'handlers' tell them to do.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

That’s no surprise given that Watterson has spent 5 years pointing out the manifest failings of CoMin jointly and individually. The truth hurts so they’ll look for payback by scuppering his Presidential ambitions. He still looks favourite however.

Watterson (your only ever 6’ away from a Watterson or a longtail in PE) IMO has done sweet FA for Rushen, or the island, other than pontificate about how hard working, loyal and all knowledgeable he feels he is. Sadly, too many constituents buy the bollocks of his mantra and continue to put an ‘X’ next to his name. His family background surnames on both sides have been very helpful for him in both Port’s I would suggest. As far as I am concerned he is a devious fecker, who just wants to ride the wave of government pay and pension in an arguably ceremonial role (if he can get away with it), whilst not actually achieving anything. 

I personally believe that the Speaker and President should be moulded into one position, but that is another argument. 

Juan has never had my vote and won’t have it this time either. I can’t say that I am a fan of Michelle Heywood tbh, but I do think she is extremely capable and diligent, and she has worked for PSM for many years - nice windows to show for it too! At the moment despite her superior and arrogant nature (she will give JW a run for his money in these areas), she has my vote - for what it’s worth. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Allinson has had to do a lot of shit shovelling as DESC Minister but I still wouldn't rule him out.

I think he's a shoe in for re-election in Ramsey and could be a serious contender as an intelligent and statesman like CM

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Watterson IMO has done sweet FA for Rushen, or the island, other than pontificate about how hard working, loyal and all knowledgeable he feels he is [..] As far as I am concerned he is a devious fecker, who just wants to ride the wave of government pay and pension in an arguably ceremonial role (if he can get away with it), whilst not actually achieving anything. 

I don't think you are alone in that assessment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Why? Are we now down to employing Civil Servants to put out press releases, in particular on behalf of its leader, a supposed personal decision not a matter relating to IOMG or running of IOMG. 

I do hope that IOMG press officers didn’t write up this press release? It should be something that he does on his own, without costing the taxpayer. 

He cant write can he ? He certainly can't read going on his press briefing performances .  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Cannan has been Treasury Minister for the last five years.  Shimmins has been a Departmental Member of Treasury for the same period.  If they had wanted to do anything together about the situation of the government, they could have done so.  Or resigned in disgust when they were prevented from doing so.  And then opposed all the spendthrift nonsense from the backbenches.

The fact they did nothing and said very little specific during all that period suggests that if promoted they would continue on in the same way - taking the money and doing whatever their civil service 'handlers' tell them to do.

They were blocked by Comin, particularly Howard & cronies ie Cregeen, Harmer, baker &boot. He is getting a grip of DOI by taking capital projects off them.

With some of deadwood out of Comin, there’s changes on the way unless Allinson gets CM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Halsall said:

Watterson (your only ever 6’ away from a Watterson or a longtail in PE) IMO has done sweet FA for Rushen, or the island, other than pontificate about how hard working, loyal and all knowledgeable he feels he is. Sadly, too many constituents buy the bollocks of his mantra and continue to put an ‘X’ next to his name. His family background surnames on both sides have been very helpful for him in both Port’s I would suggest. As far as I am concerned he is a devious fecker, who just wants to ride the wave of government pay and pension in an arguably ceremonial role (if he can get away with it), whilst not actually achieving anything. 

I personally believe that the Speaker and President should be moulded into one position, but that is another argument. 

Juan has never had my vote and won’t have it this time either. I can’t say that I am a fan of Michelle Heywood tbh, but I do think she is extremely capable and diligent, and she has worked for PSM for many years - nice windows to show for it too! At the moment despite her superior and arrogant nature (she will give JW a run for his money in these areas), she has my vote - for what it’s worth. 

Not living in the south, I'll take your word for it that JW is all mouth and no trousers (and nor do I know anything about MH - although if she's 'superior and arrogant' that's a common precursor to a run at the Keys) . You're on the money that the surname works in his favour too and as for persuading the electorate to vote for someone who has achieved or offers nothing, Rushen has recent form in the shape of Skelly.

I don't think you'll need to agonise about the election of JW in September; I don't believe he'll be on the ballot paper because he'll be elected President of Tynwald in July. And of course Speaker and President should indeed be rolled into one. I've ranted often enough on here about the non-job that the President represents so I won't waste your time by elaborating again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

I think he's a shoe in for re-election in Ramsey and could be a serious contender as an intelligent and statesman like CM

Indeed. He was the standout newbie 5 years ago and will without question retain his seat. As for CM he's altogether 'modern' in a way that Cannan isn't, which I think will benefit him. He's suffered the inevitable damage to his political bodywork that being a Minister involves, but hasn't sunk in the way that Baker (utterly useless man) has, or looked ineffectual and a waste of space like Boot. Nor is he a card-carrying moron a la  Cregeen. Ashford, without a shadow of a doubt, deeply covets CM but hasn't the gravitas or intellect of Allinson and, although others on here (remarkably) consider him to have had a 'good pandemic' they've obviously overlooked the skip-full of waffle, the pathetic and unstatesmanlike shredded anonymous incident (simply awful) and the fact that Ashford simply doesn't present as assuredly or as naturally as Allinson.

So yes, the Ramsey medic is a very good each-way bet for CM.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Nor is he a card-carrying moron a la  Cregeen. 

He doesn't carry the card anymore. He tried to put it in his pocket to keep it safe and doesn't know where it went. Should probably have had it on a piece of elastic, or on a string through his sleeves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

I don't know her but the couple of times I've heard her talk she seems to speak with intelligence and authority, hard to gauge with Rushen how she'd be viewed across the wider area outside of PSM.

Another PhD geneticist. Could do well. Or not.

33 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Indeed. He was the standout newbie 5 years ago and will without question retain his seat. As for CM he's altogether 'modern' in a way that Cannan isn't, which I think will benefit him. He's suffered the inevitable damage to his political bodywork that being a Minister involves, but hasn't sunk in the way that Baker (utterly useless man) has, or looked ineffectual and a waste of space like Boot. Nor is he a card-carrying moron a la  Cregeen. Ashford, without a shadow of a doubt, deeply covets CM but hasn't the gravitas or intellect of Allinson and, although others on here (remarkably) consider him to have had a 'good pandemic' they've obviously overlooked the skip-full of waffle, the pathetic and unstatesmanlike shredded anonymous incident (simply awful) and the fact that Ashford simply doesn't present as assuredly or as naturally as Allinson.

So yes, the Ramsey medic is a very good each-way bet for CM.

also he's harder to nail down than mist on any actual issue - an enviable trait as a politician

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I reckon Mr Shimmins is using his time in Treasury to closely observe Mr Cannan

2 hours ago, Banker said:

They were blocked by Comin, particularly Howard & cronies ie Cregeen, Harmer, baker &boot. He is getting a grip of DOI by taking capital projects off them.

With some of deadwood out of Comin, there’s changes on the way unless Allinson gets CM

CoMin blocked their own Treasury Minister? They don't appear to prevent him from conducting an unannounced war of attrition against our own social security system with no political mandate whatsoever*

*NI Fund is very handy for furlough type payouts

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Banker said:

[Cannan and Shimmins] were blocked by Comin, particularly Howard & cronies ie Cregeen, Harmer, baker &boot. He is getting a grip of DOI by taking capital projects off them.

I can well believe that Quayle and the Deadbeat Bloc (those who are only interested in the perks of being a Minister rather than actually doing the job) would use a majority in CoMin to prevent scrutiny and stop things happening, but in the end Cannan has sat there and agreed for five years.  He can't now start complaining that "A big boy did it and he ran away". 

If they had fought for change, they could have made in more obvious and brought political pressure to make it happen.  If that failed they could have forced Quayle to sack them - which would probably have brought down CoMin.  Instead they just nodded along and bitched about it sometimes to their mates.  The truth is that Cannan is basically a slightly better-spoken Quayle with a more Right-wing rhetoric and this fools some people into thinking he will be more decisive.  But he won't be.

The whole capital projects idea is nothing more than another bit of empire-building with lots more jobs for the boys.  If the Treasury couldn't control things before, more meetings and even more diffused responsibility won't help.

• Like 7