General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

8 hours ago, Apple said:

How about a woman for Speaker - Barber ?

Not sure she’s standing again , maybe returning to nursing 

She's a good constituency MHK. I've no doubt she would do a fine job but we don't want her wasted on vanity and pomp, thank you.

I wasn't aware of the nursing bit - is this true?

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barlow said:

She's a good constituency MHK. I've no doubt she would do a fine job but we don't want her wasted on vanity and pomp, thank you.

Not sure, she has mentioned previously she would like to return and has kept certification up

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

He obviously likes to dress up and ponce about like a latter-day Little Lord Fauntleroy. He also seems to like wearing DPM.

Concerning...

DPM is a bit past tense, it's MTP now 😁

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

I think she was be an excellent minister, speaker or even CM. She is clear and articulate and challenges when appropriate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fluffy123 said:

I think she was be an excellent minister, speaker or even CM. She is clear and articulate and challenges when appropriate. 

Howard said today that CM needs to come from within Comin as otherwise they don’t have experience to do job !!

5 hours ago, trmpton said:

Why wish for a candidate from  party that will achieve nothing?  What if they were an awful candidate but stood for one if those? Would that trump a much better independent candidate?

I don't get it

I hope the Greens and Labour put forward candidates that I can consider because I share their values. I wouldn't vote for a terrible candidate if they stood for a political party, or a political party with policies I didn't support.

Maybe a really great independent will convince me to give him a chance, but I'm wary of Independents because  I think their good intentions are almost always corrupted by the system. They put forward vague sounding aspirations in their manifestos, then immediately join the COMIN Party that exists between elections. This government has been woeful, I want to hold them to account, I want change. I won't get that by voting for vague promises from nice Independents - people did that in 2016 and all the new in take were members of Quayle's COMIN Party before the week was out.

My choice is between spoiling my ballot and voting for a party that may over time bring about change. The advantage of a party is their candidates need to convince the members that they are worthwhile candidates not just 10 mates in the pub. Policy is formulated by the party through discussions with members. I would be voting for a set of policies not vague wishes. Ideally, there would be enough support for the party leader to become CM - one I'd know about ahead of the election and factor into my decision making. At the very least they might make an effective leader of the opposition to whoever emerges as leader of the COMIN Party. And if the party I voted for got in and formed the government and I wasn't happy I could hold them accountable at the next election, no skulking off like Skelly and Quayle. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Howard said today that CM needs to come from within Comin as otherwise they don’t have experience to do job !!

There's a logic to that in principle, it's not a ridiculous statement.

And the main names being bandied about are current CoMin members

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

And Howard has ensured that the only people who meet that criteria are men.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Declan said:

And Howard has ensured that the only people who meet that criteria are men.

I mean HQ has ensured that the only people that meet his criteria are people he chose..... 

It's also not a criteria that holds any weight at all other than as his opinion

The gender is irrelevant

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

There probably are individuals with the talent and experience who could come into directly in to politics and immediately function as an effective CM, although whether any would stand is a moot point. Equally, ideally there should be sufficient talent and experience within the House to allow for potential CM candidates who have not been Ministers - I stress should. However, in reality I think it most unlikely that Keys would appoint a CM other than an individual with Ministerial experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluffy123 said:

I reckoned that the Speaker is not able to perform their task so well as a constituency MHK, but am happy to be shown wrong.

I suppose ditto with a Minister. 

Loyalties tend to be removed from the constituent and concentrated to new friends in Council of Ministers etc. Too many times I've seen decent MHKs become something else once they get their ego massaged and welcomed onto the Tynwald club top tables.

• Like 1