General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

He's being a bit previous isn't he? He's got to get voted in first!

He will be re-elected and I applaud his honesty. No doubt the Manx Crabs will slag him off for ‘arrogance’ and ‘presumption’ but many pages of this forum have been devoted (rightly) to complaints that we know eff-all about the likely direction of government on the day we cast our votes. I now encourage Allinson to publish his CM manifesto - ‘Were I to become CM, my strategic priorities are these… for these reasons…and I’ll deliver those priorities in this way…’ Good on him I say.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, code99 said:

If anybody listened to Kathryn's Magson's testimony to the PAC yesterday, they would probably conclude that we already live in a technocracy. Mrs Magson has a formidable personality, and she did not give straight answers to any questions. It seems to me that some senior civil servants are able to run rings around our politicians. This dynamic is not good for our democracy either.

Ms. Magson is a great deal brighter and more skilled in the art of politics than any of our Tynwald turnips. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

He will be re-elected and I applaud his honesty. No doubt the Manx Crabs will slag him off for ‘arrogance’ and ‘presumption’ but many pages of this forum have been devoted (rightly) to complaints that we know eff-all about the likely direction of government on the day we cast our votes. I now encourage Allinson to publish his CM manifesto - ‘Were I to become CM, my strategic priorities are these… for these reasons…and I’ll deliver those priorities in this way…’ Good on him I say.

Yeah, you're right. If you've got political ambitions be open about them.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, you're right. If you've got political ambitions be open about them.

maybe it's a Manx thing?

I caught myself wiith the ridiculousness of my own mind as I simultaneously have written on here that he's a shoe in to be re-elected and in with a shout of being CM and also thought "oh that's a bit arrogant to assume you're getting back in"

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

maybe it's a Manx thing?

I caught myself wiith the ridiculousness of my own mind as I simultaneously have written on here that he's a shoe in to be re-elected and in with a shout of being CM and also thought "oh that's a bit arrogant to assume you're getting back in"

Assume makes an ass out of u and me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

He's being a bit previous isn't he? He's got to get voted in first!

Well people always complain that CMs are elected without the public knowing what their policies are or having them looked at in an election campaign.  So saying you would be a candidate isn't just honest, it allows that extra level of scrutiny.

It's an interesting question whether the voters of Middle would have elected Quayle if they thought he would become Chief Minister.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well people always complain that CMs are elected without the public knowing what their policies are or having them looked at in an election campaign.  So saying you would be a candidate isn't just honest, it allows that extra level of scrutiny.

It's an interesting question whether the voters of Middle would have elected Quayle if they thought he would become Chief Minister.

He was 115 away from not getting in at all. Mind blowing that he then became CM , especially after his failure in health . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The voters of Middle came within a hair’s breadth of not electing Quayle at all, so I’m pretty sure that the horror prospect of him being CM would have certainly deterred enough of them to see him emptied.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

He was 4 away from not getting in at all. Mind blowing that he then became CM , especially after his failure in health . 

His CM election, as identified many times on these pages, was all a fit up, enabled by the craven bastards in LegCo and facilitated by by Rodan’s smoke and mirrors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Ms. Magson is a great deal brighter and more skilled in the art of politics than any of our Tynwald turnips. 

Agreed, but here in-lies the problem; the GMP keeps electing a few too many ‘turnips’.

MHKs rely on civil servant and experts’ advice in order to make their decisions. But what happens, when these so-called experts also turn out to be ‘turnips’? It certainly looks that way with the Prom project and that won’t be the last project that suffers similar fate, IMHO.

The Island is sort of stuck in the rut. It will take a small number of exceptionally capable individuals to break this vicious cycle. On the other hand, while we are waiting for this turnaround to occur, the proverbial unexpected “events” may just blow us off course to such extent that larger political reforms will not only be necessary, they will become inevitable.    

Edited by code99
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, code99 said:

Agreed, but here in-lies the problem; the GMP keeps electing a few too many ‘turnips’.

MHKs rely on civil servant and experts’ advice in order to make their decisions. But what happens, when these so-called experts also turn out to be ‘turnips’? It certainly looks that way with the Prom project and that won’t be the last project that suffers similar fate, IMHO.

The Island is sort of stuck in the rut. It will take a small number of exceptionally capable individuals to break this vicious cycle. On the other hand, while we are waiting for this turnaround to occur, the proverbial unexpected “events” may just blow us off course to such extent that larger political reforms will not only be necessary, they will become inevitable.    

I guess the first step on the road you describe is for the community to think very hard when casting their votes in September. Of course, we will be up against it at an early stage if there is the usual dearth of quality candidates.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

He was 4 away from not getting in at all. Mind blowing that he then became CM , especially after his failure in health . 

115?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But he would, of course, be coming from a position of knowledge of how the executive system works so you're right, he should now publish his CM manifesto.