General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

30 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Since his re-election he was remained quiet. No rocking the boat. He must be following Ann Corlett, the Sound of Silence. 

Gary Jackboots the Chief CUNTSTABLE will like that question as if it’s legislated for, would provide another money raising stream. With all these roadworks, traffic lights and jams, there are plenty to fine. The Green lobby will love it. 

It’s already prohibited under 123 Highway Code, and r.64 of the Maintenance & Use Regulations 2012 also prohibit it. The M&U Regs have force of law. Breach of the Regs already attracts penalties under Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985. At least I think that’s the convoluted legislative route.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Gary Jackboots the Chief CUNTSTABLE will like that question as if it’s legislated for, would provide another money raising stream. With all these roadworks, traffic lights and jams, there are plenty to fine. The Green lobby will love it. 

1. Another ridiculous name you've created that is surely more effort than its worth 

2. I don't think any legislation or Henderson's question is designed to mean you commit an offence when at a traffic light

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:30 AM, Fluffy123 said:

I think she was be an excellent minister, speaker or even CM. She is clear and articulate and challenges when appropriate. 

Interesting how different people can interpret things differently. She comes across as immature and petulant to me. She complains a lot without offering too much by way of actual constructive solutions. She doesn’t seem to have very much to contribute to Tynwald or Keys debates outwith her own personal area of knowledge which is very narrowly centred around health due to her nursing background. Hansard doesn’t lie. Also Douglas East needs some very specific support due to the large amount of flats, hospitality, tourism and business. I have seen little evidence that CB is tuned in to these specific needs and the constituency is in a shambles and needs some strong leadership. I don’t think she deserves to get back in let alone a ministerial role. She’s a political lightweight.

• Like 1

Kate Lord Brennan seems to have come out of hibernation with a Moorehouse-esque long list of questions for Tynwald next week, most out of character for her. I wonder why that may be?😂😂😂 Hopefully the voters of Peel and Glenfaba will see through this fakery and judge her on what she has been doing to support her community over the last few years and not be fooled by her cynical attempt to raise her profile by piling in a load of questions to put some spotlight on herself a few months before an election. I have been googling and FB’ing to see how active she has been within her community and constituency over the last few years and so far she seems to be pretty much anonymous. Plenty of good work supporting the Community from the likes of Ian Davison and John Shakespeare but sweet FA from KLB it seems. Voters should vote based on what someone has already been doing not for what they say they will do. Actions speak louder than words.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, kangaroo jack said:

Kate Lord Brennan seems to have come out of hibernation with a Moorehouse-esque long list of questions for Tynwald next week, most out of character for her. I wonder why that may be?😂😂😂 Hopefully the voters of Peel and Glenfaba will see through this fakery and judge her on what she has been doing to support her community over the last few years and not be fooled by her cynical attempt to raise her profile by piling in a load of questions to put some spotlight on herself a few months before an election. I have been googling and FB’ing to see how active she has been within her community and constituency over the last few years and so far she seems to be pretty much anonymous. Plenty of good work supporting the Community from the likes of Ian Davison and John Shakespeare but sweet FA from KLB it seems. Voters should vote based on what someone has already been doing not for what they say they will do. Actions speak louder than words.

While mostly in agreement how would one get elected first time round?

• Like 1

In response to the engine idling comment, you’d have to be an absolute idiot to worry about engines idling, especially when there is absolutely no emissions testing done whatsoever, unless routine air quality testing is done in key areas (say outside schools where a main road runs through) then worrying about about a few engines idling is utterly pointless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, finlo said:

While mostly in agreement how would one get elected first time round?

Also she's been elected as an MLC not a constituency rep so whilst she might have naturally been doing more around her local area if an MLC started treading on an MHK's area it would defeat the purpose of having an MLC?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s already prohibited under 123 Highway Code, and r.64 of the Maintenance & Use Regulations 2012 also prohibit it. The M&U Regs have force of law. Breach of the Regs already attracts penalties under Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985. At least I think that’s the convoluted legislative route.

Maybe there's more to this? I find it hard to believe a career politician wouldn't know something he can google in 60 seconds

https://frankdrives.com/do-we-need-new-powers-to-stop-people-from-leaving-their-engines-running/

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Maybe there's more to this? I find it hard to believe a career politician wouldn't know something he can google in 60 seconds

https://frankdrives.com/do-we-need-new-powers-to-stop-people-from-leaving-their-engines-running/

I'm not clicking on a link to read something you could have written here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, kangaroo jack said:

Well at least she’s doing more than Harmer & Boot have done for 5 years! If they get back in then peel residents need a good kicking!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

If they get back in then peel residents need a good kicking!!

I don't advocate violence as you know but is there anything to be done for putting them there in the fist place....😎

27 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

It’s to do with stopping and sitting in the car with engine running to keep warm and electrics running, which isn’t regulation 18. I think.

4 hours ago, kangaroo jack said:

Interesting how different people can interpret things differently. She comes across as immature and petulant to me. She complains a lot without offering too much by way of actual constructive solutions. She doesn’t seem to have very much to contribute to Tynwald or Keys debates outwith her own personal area of knowledge which is very narrowly centred around health due to her nursing background. Hansard doesn’t lie. Also Douglas East needs some very specific support due to the large amount of flats, hospitality, tourism and business. I have seen little evidence that CB is tuned in to these specific needs and the constituency is in a shambles and needs some strong leadership. I don’t think she deserves to get back in let alone a ministerial role. She’s a political lightweight.

Not sure this is a widely held viewpoint - I'm not a conservative but I've warmed to CB as an individual over the last year or so. She contributes sensibly to Keys & Tynwald debates, & appears to me to be well liked by constituents

The first vote in Douglas East should go to Joney Faragher whose personal manifesto is here 

07_04_2021 MLP FLYER A4 V05 LR.pdf

MLP are launching their party manifesto at 2.30pm this afternoon

& livestreaming on Facebook!

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Thanks 1