General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

46 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I'm not going to lie, I do not have it in me to go through the whole of this post.

Aye. I figured that would be the case for many. Can't remember who the original poster of the questions was, but there was a general consensus, that if any candidates took the time to bother filling it out, it would be wishy washy none committal answers. I aim to pleasantly surprise people. 

45 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What do you mean? 

was trying to find the legislation as I think I found it last year before the Douglas by-election but I think (from memory so happy to be corrected) that if you're a media organisation you have to give equal opportunity to all candidates.

So if Ged starts interviewing one he will effectively have to offer to give everyone equal opportunity.

Could be a grey area on podcasts or whatever it is he is doing

1 minute ago, Rhumsaa said:

was trying to find the legislation as I think I found it last year before the Douglas by-election but I think (from memory so happy to be corrected) that if you're a media organisation you have to give equal opportunity to all candidates.

So if Ged starts interviewing one he will effectively have to offer to give everyone equal opportunity.

I don’t think podcast channels count as a media organisation. That’s the defence that Roly Drower tried to run about AG, he was a journalist so he didn’t have to reveal sources. He didn’t have an NUJ card, IIRC, not sure if Ged does either 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Ah, i get you. Its a fair question, I reckon he's probably not a media organisation, more a hobbyist. However, if some fairness is required then it might mean less Josem, so that's a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Given some of the people he has interviewed, I can't imagine he'd turn any candidates down.  Admittedly there are a fair few Manx politicians who would think podcasting is about throwing peas around.

I think broadcasting rules may only apply after nominations anyway

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Ah, i get you. Its a fair question, I reckon he's probably not a media organisation, more a hobbyist. However, if some fairness is required then it might mean less Josem, so that's a good thing.

Josem hasn’t declared yet so it wouldn’t count for him... 

54 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

well define media organisation - wonder if the Cabinet Office have kept up with podcasts etc

46 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Given some of the people he has interviewed, I can't imagine he'd turn any candidates down.  Admittedly there are a fair few Manx politicians who would think podcasting is about throwing peas around.

might do, I wondered if it happened after declaration which was another pro/con for declaring early

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

In the UK broadcasting restrictions only apply after the dissolution of parliament - when does the House of Keys get 'dissolved'?

Here are the OfCom rules on broadcasting in election periods: Consultation (ofcom.org.uk)

No mention of podcasting, which is possibly narrowcasting rather than broadcasting

27 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

well define media organisation

Mmm. I guess that's for more qualified people than me. I wouldn't class someone broadcasting zoom calls on youtube from their bedroom as one though, but maybe I'm just getting old.

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Mmm. I guess that's for more qualified people than me. I wouldn't class someone broadcasting zoom calls on youtube from their bedroom as one though, but maybe I'm just getting old.

yeah I dunno either - grey area

13 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Manx Labour Party General Election Manifesto 2021 

https://bit.ly/33NCxtb

Looks pretty 

sad that it’s a wish list fairly much everyone would agree with however it makes no attempt at all to explain how more can be provided for less. Apart from perhaps raising taxes which will drive investors away. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just heard Sarah Maltby on radio saying how’s she’s been interested in politics since she was a teenager , she’s separate from her dad but he’s there as a mentor etc

Fair enough isn't it. What's your problem la'?

You should get out and enjoy the sun. 

• Confused 1