General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

On 6/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, TheTeapot said:

Cheers Declan, I'll have a look later, see if I can get my head around how it is possible for a candidate to set up a political pressure group, get some mysterious funding and employ themselves, but retain just enough deniability to not be being paid to be a candidate and how that is somehow OK.

There's a chef you could ask...

• 2 weeks later...

By my reckoning we currently have 48 candidates standing for the Keys, which is down on the final total of 63 in 2016 and 64 in 2011, but there's plenty of time yet.  Though of course it's also possible that some hopefuls will drop out.

Middle and Glenfaba and Peel already have more candidates than last time.  No one except the two sitting MHKs has declared in Ramsey.  Both are seen as likely to get in and generally thought to have justified that, but you'd expect there to have been some challengers.  More surprisingly the same applies in Douglas Central, where you would have thought Corlett at least vulnerable. 

And Rushen only has two candidates still, people might be waiting to see what happens with Watterson and the Presidency, but that leaves the risk of reducing campaigning time.  I'd have expected to see more candidates in Onchan and maybe Douglas South as well, though it's always difficult dislodging recent by-election winners.  But not impossible - look at Joughin.

The delay in local elections might have confused things, especially in Douglas where the wards are now the same (almost) as the constituencies.  It's possible some newly elected councillors might be tempted by a swift upgrade.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though it's usually wise to get nominations in before the deadline so as to check for errors.

Or russians.

So 6 weeks or so to declare, there has to be someone somewhere who is going to be alright.

Incidentally the figures I gave above assume that sitting MHKs are standing unless we know otherwise.  There's proof of most and it's generally agreed that Corlett is standing, though she hasn't said so that explicitly, but neither Moorhouse or Cregeen have actually said they will as yet, though both seem to be behaving as if they are.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally the figures I gave above assume that sitting MHKs are standing unless we know otherwise.  There's proof of most and it's generally agreed that Corlett is standing, though she hasn't said so that explicitly, but neither Moorhouse or Cregeen have actually said they will as yet, though both seem to be behaving as if they are.

I asked Moorhouse directly the other day, he said "I think so, yes"

There is no point asking Cregeen anything at all.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, TheTeapot said:

Cheers Declan, I'll have a look later, see if I can get my head around how it is possible for a candidate to set up a political pressure group, get some mysterious funding and employ themselves, but retain just enough deniability to not be being paid to be a candidate and how that is somehow OK.

Jossem obviously thinks the voters are a bit thick.

you can’t get your mates to set up a campaign to make you look more employed than a Tesco delivery guy or whatever he claims to be.

His mates or gaggle of donors are effectively paying him to canvass and paying to advertise him. . 
I hope someone looks into his set up. 
He states he is the founder of this Tax campaign and employed by it.  
Bollocks, he should step down before he is investigated. 

Expect nothing less from Lib Van, in the last elections they were a farce, who was that nutter from down North taxi driver, all mouth, but stepped down on the day of elections. 

Scam alert. 

Get ready for David Christian to announce for MHK I was told recently

Wants to team up with David Ashford I reckon. 

It would not surprise me if they both had higher aims and a vision for Douglas between them. And together they may just about pull it off.

12 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

His mates or gaggle of donors are effectively paying him to canvass and paying to advertise him. . 

If 100 concerned taxpayers were paying £10 a month each to support the cause and he was paid out of that, I wouldn't have an issue. 

1 concerned taxpayer with substantial contracts with IOM Gov paying £1000 per month, looks like paying him to be a candidate. 

That's why he needs to be more transparent. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Declan said:

If 100 concerned taxpayers were paying £10 a month each to support the cause and he was paid out of that, I wouldn't have an issue. 

1 concerned taxpayer with substantial contracts with IOM Gov paying £1000 per month, looks like paying him to be a candidate. 

That's why he needs to be more transparent. 

Totally agree, but even 10 quid a month adds up  and is against the rules 

Well 

14 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Totally agree, but even 10 quid a month adds up  and is against the rules 

I don't agree it would be against rules - 100 people paying each month to campaign on tax indicates there's an actual job for someone campaigning against tax.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...