TT 2022 ??

Barlow

11 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Bike fans have no interest in electric bikes.  Same with cars.

Electric bikes as a method of getting round far east packed cities is fine.  But they won't be replacing 600cc or 1000cc sports bikes any time soon.

I won't be chopping my sports bikes in for an electric bike.  Ever.

That last remark depends on how old you are. At my age, yes I probably won’t be chopping in my petrol fueled bike for electric. But if I was 10 years younger..

The problem for the TT is that it’s appeal lies with those that revel in the noise, speed and danger of oil derived fuel. Largely, they cannot see past this and currently, there is no strategy for the event beyond the use of oil. Everybody, including the more forward- thinking motorcyclist, outside of the TT diehard fan base can see this leaves the TT with an unsustainable future. What the future holds for the TT, with transport change being as inevitable as the increasing age and mortality of the existing spectator and marshal, is very uncertain. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, joebean said:

That last remark depends on how old you are. At my age, yes I probably won’t be chopping in my petrol fueled bike for electric. But if I was 10 years younger..

The problem for the TT is that it’s appeal lies with those that revel in the noise, speed and danger of oil derived fuel. Largely, they cannot see past this and currently, there is no strategy for the event beyond the use of oil. Everybody, including the more forward- thinking motorcyclist, outside of the TT diehard fan base can see this leaves the TT with an unsustainable future. What the future holds for the TT, with transport change being as inevitable as the increasing age and mortality of the existing spectator and marshal, is very uncertain. 

As an ex motorcyclist electric bikes are what is likely to make me get another off road bike. The power delivery is better (smoother) and they are quiet which stops the moaning ramblers and the like in the main. 

There are some really good ones out at the moment, give it another couple of years of development and goodbye ICE. 

ETA. The TT will ignore the development of electric bikes at its peril. 

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would love an electric vehicle but as I can only afford very cheap second hand personal transport, it ain't gonna happen soon.

Before The clamour starts about old vehicles, my old vehicles are at least as well maintained as ones that are supposedly cared for by dealers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

I can understand this, but I don't think it's a case of motorcycling fans changing their outlook, you can't be forced to accept something if it doesn't appeal to you. 

We don't use horses for transport any more, but we still race them, although I'm not keen on that either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

We don't use horses for transport any more, but we still race them, although I'm not keen on that either. 

Don't we? What about the horse trams, and horse drawn carriages all over the world, and brewery drays, etc...

Thwaites Brewery Shire Horses at Malham © Oliver Dixon cc-by-sa/2.0 ::  Geograph Britain and Ireland

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Don't we? What about the horse trams, and horse drawn carriages all over the world, and brewery drays, etc...

Thwaites Brewery Shire Horses at Malham © Oliver Dixon cc-by-sa/2.0 ::  Geograph Britain and Ireland

6 minutes ago, Barlow said:

We can go nearer to home than that (bit out of date though!):

1010986492_BushysDrayHorsebeerdelivery.thumb.jpg.ecf9e0f98b9757964f484e867c6498f6.jpg

Publicity and recreation, similar to horse racing. 

• 1 month later...

As I have posted elsewhere we need to plan for how to cope with future outbreaks, which will happen when border controls are removed. I would think we need to build some kind of isolation facility with sufficient beds to cope with the maximum expected to be unfortunate enough to require medical treatment. No sign of this so far.

• Like 1

Suppose that deep down in the analysis of the numbers it was determined that it doesn't really make any money - that the money it brings in is more or less balanced out by all of the hidden costs which are not directly part of the budget.

That's a suppose - I don't know that is true but I have often wondered.

If that was true - would it still be worth running anyhow?

And do the visitor numbers significantly impact the share of VAT which the island receives?

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

MotoGP, World Superbike, F1 etc along with the World Rally Championship are all continuing but our event depends on spectators being able to get here. Should have built a track when Geoff Duke suggested it?

How do those events make money? What kind of money do they make per race compared with the TT?

Perhaps it shouldn't only be about money. Or should it only be about money?

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

MotoGP, World Superbike, F1 etc along with the World Rally Championship are all continuing but our event depends on spectators being able to get here. Should have built a track when Geoff Duke suggested it?

Surely the fact that those events are held on tracks cannot be the only factor?

Is there something those events are doing which the TT could adopt?