TT 2022 ??

Barlow

The road was wrecked with wagons going up there and then a frost created pot holes that the DOI patched and the circuit lost its licence with the ACU.

There are plans to revive it needs DOI to resurface and then the course be inspected. It's a cracking circuit.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

The road was wrecked with wagons going up there and then a frost created pot holes that the DOI patched and the circuit lost its licence with the ACU.

There are plans to revive it needs DOI to resurface and then the course be inspected. It's a cracking circuit.

A real favourite with riders and spectators too. It probably had a good future with a bit of imagination and investment.

3 hours ago, finlo said:

I don't follow bike racing but how has the prison impacted that?

It didn't, condition of the roads, as posted above saw it off. The Jurby coast road section that it used was particularly bad. There was talk of it being resurrected with the reform of the Andreas club a couple of years ago but the roads would take some fixing first.

8 hours ago, TomTucker said:

Yes Jurby South circuit used to run twice a year 

Never knew they raced that.

the stretch of road from Jurby church to about the old garden & greenhouses business is badly patched. The rest is alright. 

It appears that the price of fuel will be going through the roof and many people will not be able to afford to use as much or will suffer cuts to their standard of living if they still have to. Meanwhile, we will waste huge quantities going round in circles as quickly as possible. This is when motor racing starts to look increasingly irrelevant. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, joebean said:

It appears that the price of fuel will be going through the roof and many people will not be able to afford to use as much or will suffer cuts to their standard of living if they still have to. Meanwhile, we will waste huge quantities going round in circles as quickly as possible. This is when motor racing starts to look increasingly irrelevant. 

But if we had a medium sized music festival attracting similar numbers it would create just as much pollution and C02 emissions. But you would most likely have a different view on that. Being relevant is a personal opinion I assume you just dont like bikes.

6 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

But if we had a medium sized music festival attracting similar numbers it would create just as much pollution and C02 emissions. But you would most likely have a different view on that. Being relevant is a personal opinion I assume you just dont like bikes.

That’s unquantifiable but probably nonsense since most of the attendees at a music festival won’t spend their time not listening to music riding around the island on motorcycles. As for your assumption that I don’t like motorcycles, I have had many of them and still ride. So wrong again. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joebean said:

That’s unquantifiable but probably nonsense since most of the attendees at a music festival won’t spend their time not listening to music riding around the island on motorcycles. As for your assumption that I don’t like motorcycles, I have had many of them and still ride. So wrong again. 

So bikes are relevant then, to you at least.

1 hour ago, Youaintseenme said:

Quite the opposite.

To win pretty much any motorsport race you have to have the lightest, strongest vehicle you can get away with within the rules.  That helps fuel efficiency and performance.

you need to get as much power from every bit of fuel burnt or electric charge used, so oils are developed to reduce friction. Tyres are developed to maintain high grip while minimising drag and friction.  Aerodynamics are improved to reduce drag etc.

Cars, vans, motorbikes and lorries would all be a lot less fuel efficient if they weren’t using software, materials and other technologies developed as a direct result of motorsport 

Oh, of course, if it wasn’t for the TT a lot more fuel would be used up 🤔 I’m not anti-TT, but I think most of us might find your suggestion that this years TT will save actually save fuel, just a little bit fanciful. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

It might be argued that Cars, vans, motorbikes and lorries might all be even less fuel efficient if they weren’t using software, materials and other technologies developed in some part as result of motorsport 

Might be a more correct statement. 

29 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Might be a more correct statement. 

Maybe right but the argument that motorsport is the origin of advances in automotive technology is often used by motorsport fans but it is actually a bit thin. Some technology might do but a lot of what we see in cars and motorcycles is the result of R&D by the manufacturers who are responding to changes in the market and consumer demand. Most of this has nothing to do with the race track. As I said, I am not anti-TT or motorsport but it has to be put into proper perspective. In a changing world it becomes increasingly irrelevant. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AOR said:

Isle of Man TT: Plea for volunteer marshals to come forward

There's a call for accommodation too. We let our homestay lapse but might take it up again.

We need Ukranian marshals! Win - win. And they'll boost DfE's visitor figures too! What's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1