TT 2022 ??

Barlow

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

All of which increases risk in these circs. 

I’vel Long been an advocate of shutting it for the fortnight and running it like the Ring.

That would be great fun for all the residents and businesses  adjoining the road. Totally impractical. I hope you were being sarcastic. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

Heard the tarmac plant at Poortown Quarry has broken down in a big way and no tarmac for at least 3 months so the DoI will have to rely on Colas to supply tarmac for the overlay on the course.

Where's the DOI tarmac plant? I thought it all came from Billown? 

It's TT so they'll probably either airlift the tarmac in or resurface the road with used £50 notes

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WTF said:

thats just cunt insurance companies being cunt insurance companies looking for a get out.    there are no fees, no marshals, no dedicated medical cover, no clerk of the course, so no track day.  its the old you we don't think you can afford to take us to court where we'd lose so fuck off routine.

You might be right, just make sure if you crash you’re not on the wrong side of the road across a solid white line. I think the police have mentioned that as a possible source of controversy too. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

You might be right, just make sure if you crash you’re not on the wrong side of the road across a solid white line. I think the police have mentioned that as a possible source of controversy too. 

yes, the road is one way but we still want people to comply with the normal two way restrictions. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I don't see how that would work either. If the road is one way then both running lanes are operational, just in the same direction like on a dual carriageway. And, like on a dual carriageway, double white lines mean you can't change between running lanes, not that you're not allowed to be in the outside running lane.

17 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don't see how that would work either. If the road is one way then both running lanes are operational, just in the same direction like on a dual carriageway. And, like on a dual carriageway, double white lines mean you can't change between running lanes, not that you're not allowed to be in the outside running lane.

A dual carriageway is where there is a physical barrier between opposing lanes (like on a motorway) it doesn’t mean there are necessarily 2 or more running lanes.  But the situation with the mountain road over TT is confusing, and police and insurers should clarify the rules regarding it. 

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

Can your insurance not pay out just because you are across the road. Are there exclusions for dangerous riding/driving. I didnt think so but I am not sure. I am reasonably sure they would have to pay out whatever. Only fraud is excluded as far as I am aware. Even drunk driving is ok if you have an accident (in terms of insurance companies paying out)

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Can your insurance not pay out just because you are across the road. Are there exclusions for dangerous riding/driving. I didnt think so but I am not sure. I am reasonably sure they would have to pay out whatever. Only fraud is excluded as far as I am aware. Even drunk driving is ok if you have an accident (in terms of insurance companies paying out)

No, you’re correct. 

However, in 40 years in my job I’ve acted for claimants, either people injured, or families of people killed, on the TT course, during practice or race weeks, not even mad Sunday, on open roads, where the other side’s insurer has tried to take the stance that their insured wasn’t covered because he was “racing”. Never successfully.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think you are only kidding yourself. Why does everybody fight for places to get their bikes over? To go over the mountain at 30mph?

I dont think so.

Yes some riders do ride around sensibly on their touring bikes. Many dont and it's a big motivation for many to come here. I think you are a bit out of touch with reality. Sorry.

I'm not exactly out of touch, I wasn't suggesting 30mph either.

Half the time, the accidents on the Mountain are caused by people getting sucked into riding faster than they normally would, these people don't set out to ride quickly, they get carried along.    

What you are also forgetting is that many accidents happen in restricted areas anyway, including fatals. Many accidents on the Mountain are caused by the difference in speed between the lunatics and the poor guy out for a look around the track. 

There's about 11,000 bikes or less visiting for the TT. More go to Assen for the Dutch TT, these riders don't expect to fly around the roads at 180mph. The fact that you can actually ride the course at a safe speed would still attract people!

Track days are the new hooligan outlet, the 'ton up' boys are long gone I'm afraid.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, you’re correct. 

However, in 40 years in my job I’ve acted for claimants, either people injured, or families of people killed, on the TT course, during practice or race weeks, not even mad Sunday, on open roads, where the other side’s insurer has tried to take the stance that their insured wasn’t covered because he was “racing”. Never successfully.

I had the same issue with my income protection insurance company when I had an accident as a TM, luckily I was able to prove that I wasn't racing, although I was on closed roads. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm not exactly out of touch, I wasn't suggesting 30mph either.

Half the time, the accidents on the Mountain are caused by people getting sucked into riding faster than they normally would, these people don't set out to ride quickly, they get carried along.    

What you are also forgetting is that many accidents happen in restricted areas anyway, including fatals. Many accidents on the Mountain are caused by the difference in speed between the lunatics and the poor guy out for a look around the track. 

There's about 11,000 bikes or less visiting for the TT. More go to Assen for the Dutch TT, these riders don't expect to fly around the roads at 180mph. The fact that you can actually ride the course at a safe speed would still attract people!

Track days are the new hooligan outlet, the 'ton up' boys are long gone I'm afraid.  

Those are fair enough comments. It wasn't you that stated the 30mph limit, it was a quote of your post. I still disagree about the motivation to come here though. The crazy ones make up quite a proportion sadly.