TT 2022 ??

Barlow

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

You might be right, just make sure if you crash you’re not on the wrong side of the road across a solid white line. I think the police have mentioned that as a possible source of controversy too. 

5 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don't see how that would work either. If the road is one way then both running lanes are operational, just in the same direction like on a dual carriageway. And, like on a dual carriageway, double white lines mean you can't change between running lanes, not that you're not allowed to be in the outside running lane.

This was never successfully resolved. Personally I thought that it was a load of bollocks, but the advice was to stay on the side of the road you were on if you were in double whites just to remove confusion.

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This was never successfully resolved. Personally I thought that it was a load of bollocks, but the advice was to stay on the side of the road you were on if you were in double whites just to remove confusion.

I'm thinking of where I drive through tunnels in the UK with two running lanes in the same direction, there's a double white line to prevent lane switching in the tunnel. If you're in the outside lane you stay there.

Of course riders should only be in the outside lane if they're overtaking or turning right anyway, and not because they want to take the racing line.

I'm surprised they don't put a 50 or 60 limit up there during TT, they do on the coast road.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I'm surprised they don't put a 50 or 60 limit up there during TT, they do on the coast road.

the  coast road is heavily populated with houses and 'normal' traffic, there are no houses up the mountain till you get to kates cottage 

21 minutes ago, WTF said:

the  coast road is heavily populated with houses and 'normal' traffic, there are no houses up the mountain till you get to kates cottage 

The coast road also has to cope with an ridiculous amount of extra traffic due to the mountain being one way and also shut continually for incidents.

It would be safer for the residents on the coast road if the mountain was two way with an enforced low speed limit.

After all, apparently people come here for the racing don't they?.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, WTF said:

The speed reduction on the coast road brought about a reduction to literally zero. I’ve attended some horrific high speed events on that stretch of road.

The cause and effect of that imposition makes it harder and harder to justify the continued lack of restrictions on the Mountain Road during TT. As aforementioned, a switched on Coroner for inquests would be asking to see the justification of managing the coast road one way, and the mountain road another. 

I’ve said many times that I like a fast run as much as the next man, but I am also a realist. If you are going to have a road safety strategy, of which a key component is the Safe System approach, made up of safer roads, safer people, safer vehicles and safer speeds, you can’t just ignore the latter part of that and maintain any credibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

14 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I'm thinking of where I drive through tunnels in the UK with two running lanes in the same direction, there's a double white line to prevent lane switching in the tunnel. If you're in the outside lane you stay there.

Of course riders should only be in the outside lane if they're overtaking or turning right anyway, and not because they want to take the racing line.

I think, strictly speaking, you can cross a dotted white line for any reason. You just have to give way to oncoming traffic. You can only cross a solid white line to pass other traffic that is going at less than 18mph.

Therefore, in the eyes of the law, if you cross a solid white line just to take the best line though a corner, regardless of whether it's one way or not, you commit an offence. 

A blind eye is turned of course, for TT. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I think, strictly speaking, you can cross a dotted white line for any reason. You just have to give way to oncoming traffic. You can only cross a solid white line to pass other traffic that is going at less than 18mph.

Therefore, in the eyes of the law, if you cross a solid white line just to take the best line though a corner, regardless of whether it's one way or not, you commit an offence. 

A blind eye is turned of course, for TT. 

It’s 10 mph or less now to be able to pass them by crossing a solid white line. Has beeb for a while I believe.

43 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

It’s 10 mph or less now to be able to pass them by crossing a solid white line. Has beeb for a while I believe.

That's correct in the new UK highway code. I don't think the IOM has adopted it yet, but that's irrelevant to the fact in this context. 

Another belter that was posted in IOMNP Facebook page which was originally reported by the BBC. 

Health Minister Laurie Hooper has said that racing at this years TT will only go ahead subject to bed space and capacity at Nobles. I can picture the scenario at Nobles where the online TT broadcasting company have a reporter permanently based at Nobles for the TT duration, announcing that todays patient count is down so racing can take place. The next day racing could be postponed or cancelled as there has been a few patients due to Covid19 symptoms.

I can picture pressure being out on the hospital management from CM Cannan, Hooperman and Ashie to evict patients before they are due to be released, so racing can go ahead. 

The whole thing is a farce, an insult to islanders and a pathetic way to run a sporting event. I wonder if the NW200 organisers behave like this? 

Incidentally what’s Mr TTs, view on this, especially if it involves one of his Onchan constituents?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

That's correct in the new UK highway code. I don't think the IOM has adopted it yet, but that's irrelevant to the fact in this context. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Another belter that was posted in IOMNP Facebook page which was originally reported by the BBC. 

Health Minister Laurie Hooper has said that racing at this years TT will only go ahead subject to bed space and capacity at Nobles. I can picture the scenario at Nobles where the online TT broadcasting company have a reporter permanently based at Nobles for the TT duration, announcing that todays patient count is down so racing can take place. The next day racing could be postponed or cancelled as there has been a few patients due to Covid19 symptoms.

I can picture pressure being out on the hospital management from CM Cannan, Hooperman and Ashie to evict patients before they are due to be released, so racing can go ahead. 

The whole thing is a farce, an insult to islanders and a pathetic way to run a sporting event. I wonder if the NW200 organisers behave like this? 

Incidentally what’s Mr TTs, view on this, especially if it involves one of his Onchan constituents?

My 50p - so many fans coming over during practice week, unmasked, paying no regard to COVID will result in Nobles being rammed come Friday / Saturday. As a result - no racing.

I'm watching some people round here just being total idiots despite the high infection rates. Still seeing some sensible types wearing masks in shops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

My 50p - so many fans coming over during practice week, unmasked, paying no regard to COVID will result in Nobles being rammed come Friday / Saturday. As a result - no racing.

I'm watching some people round here just being total idiots despite the high infection rates. Still seeing some sensible types wearing masks in shops.

I’m wearing in shops and public transport and where necessary or able keeping my distance. Sensible without over the top.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

You'll not get me wearing a mask. If you dont like the heat, get out of the kitchen. The rates are going down not up . I am sensible. Why not get home delivery.