TT 2022 ??

Barlow

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

By ‘relaxed’ do you mean visiting bikers could speed and drink-ride with gay abandon, and even if they did get caught points and bans didn’t carry over to the UK?

You didn't really read my post did you. That's not what I mean at all. You don't get it Wrighty because you weren't here to remember it. You don't understand it. If we'd have explained to the visiting bikers years ago that we had followed worldwide practice and standards by introducing an all-Island limit, most of them would've accepted it; perhaps even welcomed it in many cases. We'd only have lost the lunatics, who nobody wants anyway. We could've kept most of the atmosphere, freedoms and traditions, light-touch policing etc but moved into the modern world of relative safety for all road users. But we haven't done it, and now it's bolloxed up in the way I described.  

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, joebean said:

Both of those are elite level events where the racing is the be and end all of it. The TT is partly about the racing and partly about being here. If you bring a bike over, you don't do so just as a means of transport to get here, you bring it to ride. Making the main arterial road and the TT course a slower and more policed ride than most out of town A roads in the UK is not going to attract new or repeat motorcyclists. It is not about being a knobhead; its about enjoying riding your bike and indulging your hobby. I take it you do not ride a motorcycle and don't get it. 

in fairness  a lot of effort has been put in to  try to educate bikers that if you are going to party or attend events in the evening , then park up somewhere ,   forget riding the bike , there is always additional transport to get you back to campsites   or where ever you are staying , don't under any circumstances  be tempted to drink and drive , there has been  a big reduction in drink driving over the TT period in recent years , and long may it continue  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

I didn’t know that, what about a ban?

Bans are recognised and enforced reciprocally. But the legislation isn’t as straightforward as it might be. 

Lots of Manx disqualifications carry a test retake requirement. So, someone from UK, but disqualified here with a requirement to test again, gets their GB or NI licence back without at test at the end of the ban.

They have a full licence, until they get off the ferry in Douglas, when, until they’ve passed a Manx test, they’re driving whilst disqualified.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Bans are recognised and enforced reciprocally. But the legislation isn’t as straightforward as it might be. 

Lots of Manx disqualifications carry a test retake requirement. So, someone from UK, but disqualified here with a requirement to test again, gets their GB or NI licence back without at test at the end of the ban.

They have a full licence, until they get off the ferry in Douglas, when, until they’ve passed a Manx test, they’re driving whilst disqualified.

the test again bit is not well thought out.   you can be banned for DUI whilst riding a motorcycle on a provisional licence and the judge will apply the take a test again clause,  but you have never taken a test in the first place and never held a full licence so how can 'AGAIN' ever apply ?

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

the test again bit is not well thought out.   you can be banned for DUI whilst riding a motorcycle on a provisional licence and the judge will apply the take a test again clause,  but you have never taken a test in the first place and never held a full licence so how can 'AGAIN' ever apply ?

It’s more to do with the requirement to take an alcohol driving awareness course and an extended test. Not sure where you get again from? I was referring to someone with a full GB licence, who would have taken a test.

The actual provision is not to drive on Manx roads, except under provisional restrictions, without passing a Manx test.

50 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s more to do with the requirement to take an alcohol driving awareness course and an extended test. Not sure where you get again from? I was referring to someone with a full GB licence, who would have taken a test.

The actual provision is not to drive on Manx roads, except under provisional restrictions, without passing a Manx test.

'again' may not be the correct term but locals IOM residents can be instructed to retake a test that they may never have taken at all in the first place,  you can't retake unless you have already taken.    i doubt anybody that gets banned DUI ever thought that driving whilst unfit was acceptable .  having to pay for a box ticking alcohol driving awareness course is just another hurdle in the way , there won't be anything on the course that you didn't know before taking it , you just didn't give a toss first time round and you may not again..

Just now, WTF said:

'again' may not be the correct term but locals IOM residents can be instructed to retake a test that they may never have taken at all in the first place,  you can't retake unless you have already taken.    i doubt anybody that gets banned DUI ever thought that driving whilst unfit was acceptable .  having to pay for a box ticking alcohol driving awareness course is just another hurdle in the way , there won't be anything on the course that you didn't know before taking it , you just didn't give a toss first time round and you may not again..

Read my final paragraph. Try to understand. There is no reference to again!

3 hours ago, WTF said:

Are they able to stop issuing provisional licences? I know of someone who’s been riding/driving on a provisional for 30+ years and the licensing started to make threats that it would be the last renewal they issue unless an effort was made to take a test, I haven’t seen the person for about 5 years to find out what the final outcome was.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Read my final paragraph. Try to understand. There is no reference to again!

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Are they able to stop issuing provisional licences? I know of someone who’s been riding/driving on a provisional for 30+ years and the licensing started to make threats that it would be the last renewal they issue unless an effort was made to take a test, I haven’t seen the person for about 5 years to find out what the final outcome was.

you'd better ask JW . he knows all about the legal aspects of such things.

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

He has a point... fix the wall please! 

It’s already being addressed. I can try and get an update on the schedule but it’s a bit more effort than just sending a bricky in.