TT 2022 ??

Barlow

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The TT is one of the world’s last great gladiatorial events. The racing is safer than ever, and signs are that the police senior management have finally broken political ranks and are finally telling it as it is on the public road side.

it could be a good year. I think the numbers will be well down though, which provides more space for a hoon. Much will come down to police visibility and enforcement. 

But, as Von Moltke said, no plan survives first contact. You don’t know until it all starts rolling. Weather and luck are two big factors.

Leaving empty police cars abandoned all around the course seems to be the latest 'deterrent'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Leaving empty police cars abandoned all around the course seems to be the latest 'deterrent'.

I noticed an empty one for several hours at Braddan bridge, just assumed the officer had walked to house for a long lunch break!!

3 hours ago, finlo said:

If there is a serious incident, how will the police persons get to where they need to be? Maybe they could use mini-buses - I have heard there are a few of those lying around mostly unused.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

They were out en masse last night - and patted themselves on the back on how good they were on Facebook - truth is it was the Hobby Bobby's and Cadets pulling over as many cars as you can to sarcastically patronise motorists by the Grandstand.

Daughter got pulled over for doing 35 in a 30 zone (she acknowledges this is over the speed limit) but was a little shaken up that 3 of the Bastard Squad gave her a shitty talking to whilst 10 other uniforms all looked on from 10 yards away - intimidating for a 19 year old.

The next generation of deluded self absorbed power hungry patronising "Schuey's" are being schooled.

No plywood doors were harmed or dogs tasered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

They were out en masse last night - and patted themselves on the back on how good they were on Facebook - truth is it was the Hobby Bobby's and Cadets pulling over as many cars as you can to sarcastically patronise motorists by the Grandstand.

Daughter got pulled over for doing 35 in a 30 zone (she acknowledges this is over the speed limit) but was a little shaken up that 3 of the Bastard Squad gave her a shitty talking to whilst 10 other uniforms all looked on from 10 yards away - intimidating for a 19 year old.

The next generation of deluded self absorbed power hungry patronising "Schuey's" are being schooled.

No plywood doors were harmed or dogs tasered.

While your daughter was being persecuted and harangued, some little scrote will be causing trouble in a pub, or on the street. Maybe there will be thefts or vandalism? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

Ah the feels...

there was a time when police officers worked as part of the community , and earned  the respect ,and support from the public , if we are going to go down the road of a them and us culture ,then  the relationship  that many of the old style of policeman has worked hard to achieve  will be lost forever    ,this has happened in the UK ,and I would not like that culture  to be introduced here , 

we still have some excellent police officers in the community ,and the Isle of Man can be a different place from the Robo cop  abrupt ,unfriendly ,and sometimes arrogant , and corrupt culture that  sadly exists  in several cities and counties in the UK 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Omobono said:

there was a time when police officers worked as part of the community , and earned  the respect ,and support from the public , if we are going to go down the road of a them and us culture ,then  the relationship  that many of the old style of policeman has worked hard to achieve  will be lost forever    ,this has happened in the UK ,and I would not like that culture  to be introduced here , 

we still have some excellent police officers in the community ,and the Isle of Man can be a different place from the Robo cop  abrupt ,unfriendly ,and sometimes arrogant , and corrupt culture that  sadly exists  in several cities and counties in the UK 

Nope. The little respect I had for the Bastard squad was completely eroded during lockdown. It showed how power hungry they are and they showed little community spirit then. 
I won’t forget what their true colours are. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Err, really? Only the number of people killed and seriously injured each year doesn't seem to be going down. Apart from the last two years of course. 

When you look at the increase in speeds over the last few years, crashes have remained fairly static. Indeed a few of them have been down to unfortunate mechanical failures rather than anything to do with the circuit per se. 

i do think it is about as Safe as you can make it without going full Monaco. It was always the issues on the open roads that focused me.

That reminds me of a time when I had a run in with a road type officer on the mountain a few years ago. I was heading into Douglas from May Hill at about, I dunno, twenty to five or so? The road was due to close at 5, and I asked an officer if I'd be ok to get over or should I take the coast road. He said it was clear at the moment and I should be fine. Ok, no problem, so I continued. So, no issues with the police at the Bungalow. However, on the approach to Keppel there were a couple of wobbly bikers ahead of me who were allowed through, and then the solitary policeman there pointed at me to stop and take the road off the mountain. It was about ten to five by now. Two faster bikers passed my now stationary vehicle and continued along the mountain. He didn't bat an eyelid. This conversation ensued.

Me  -  "What's the problem?"

Him  -  "The roads closed, you have to get off it"

I then took my mobile phone out of my pocket and showed him the time on it. 

Me  -  "It's only ten to five?"

Him  -  "Right, I could do you now for driving whilst using your phone, get off the road it's closed"

Another bike continues along the mountain road.

Me  - thinks... "What a peculiar man".

I did as he said. 

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

When you look at the increase in speeds over the last few years, crashes have remained fairly static. Indeed a few of them have been down to unfortunate mechanical failures rather than anything to do with the circuit per se. 

i do think it is about as Safe as you can make it without going full Monaco. It was always the issues on the open roads that focused me.

Yeah, sorry, but "as Safe as you can make it" doesn't seem to equate to "safer than ever". I remain unconvinced. It's as dangerous as it ever was. 

• Like 2