TT 2022 ??

Barlow

6 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

That reminds me of a time when I had a run in with a road type officer on the mountain a few years ago. I was heading into Douglas from May Hill at about, I dunno, twenty to five or so? The road was due to close at 5, and I asked an officer if I'd be ok to get over or should I take the coast road. He said it was clear at the moment and I should be fine. Ok, no problem, so I continued. So, no issues with the police at the Bungalow. However, on the approach to Keppel there were a couple of wobbly bikers ahead of me who were allowed through, and then the solitary policeman there pointed at me to stop and take the road off the mountain. It was about ten to five by now. Two faster bikers passed my now stationary vehicle and continued along the mountain. He didn't bat an eyelid. This conversation ensued.

Me  -  "What's the problem?"

Him  -  "The roads closed, you have to get off it"

I then took my mobile phone out of my pocket and showed him the time on it. 

Me  -  "It's only ten to five?"

Him  -  "Right, I could do you now for driving whilst using your phone, get off the road it's closed"

Another bike continues along the mountain road.

Me  - thinks... "What a peculiar man".

I did as he said. 

img_3811.jpg?fit=950,633&ssl=1

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

It has been getting safer every year for years.  Only a clown would deny that.

You've got a short memory. The Steve Mercer incident occurred in the very last event. 

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

How can you possibly dispute the fact that it is “safer than ever”?  It simply is.

No it isn't. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

How does one incident (that was more likely to happen before it happened, then it is now) make an event less safe?

It makes it safer because the chances of that ever happening again are greatly reduced by new procedures.  Your logic is fundamentally flawed.

Lol, nice try! You won't wind me up though. 

20 hours ago, wrighty said:

And, not strictly scientific/mathematical but plausible, TT usually results in a few deaths each year.

3 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

How can you possibly dispute the fact that it is “safer than ever”?  It simply is.

Mean deaths per annum pretty consistent at over 3 since the 1970s.  Time will tell whether the late 1990s to late 2000s period reduction is anything more than mean reversion but the subsequent increase would seem to indicate so.

The non-change of Mountain Course fatalities compared to other motorsport events since the mid 1960s is the most damming issue.

Does not cover the issue, as mentioned above in this topic, of the impact of serious life-changing injuries on competitors.

Motorsport Fatalities 2019.jpg

Edited by Bobbie Bobster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Well if people will wear shorts when riding their bikes injuries will be unpleasant according to the latest advice on the plodcast.

I agree but its not an offence ! but only an idiot would ride a motorcycle in a tee shirt or shorts , its interesting to go to Spain  or the Costa's  and see  people with huge patches of gravel rash and missing skin ,where they have been foolish enough to think they wouldn't fall off  a scooter or mountain bike ,

lesson learned , wear the right gear !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

They were out en masse last night - and patted themselves on the back on how good they were on Facebook - truth is it was the Hobby Bobby's and Cadets pulling over as many cars as you can to sarcastically patronise motorists by the Grandstand.

Daughter got pulled over for doing 35 in a 30 zone (she acknowledges this is over the speed limit) but was a little shaken up that 3 of the Bastard Squad gave her a shitty talking to whilst 10 other uniforms all looked on from 10 yards away - intimidating for a 19 year old.

The next generation of deluded self absorbed power hungry patronising "Schuey's" are being schooled.

No plywood doors were harmed or dogs tasered.

She was lucky they did not taser her.

They got super cocky during lockdown, like a police state and now need something to get that same buzz

2 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Every time there is an incident something is learned.  The medical cover is better. They are much more conscious of conditions both on the road and for the helicopter.  Red flags come out for things they never would have done before. The road surfaces are better. The crash protection is better. Tyres are better. Helmets are better. Leathers and pads are better.

Speeds are increasing and deaths/injury isn’t.  Miles completed are increasing as machines become more reliable and new riders are trained and looked after like never before.

It is simply not that's how because its not any safer.

Unless they implement the talked about airbag leathers then nothing has changed.

I would say the safety is actually worse, there are far, far less areas covered by the new recticel? bags than used to be covered in straw bales, far far less.

41 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Unless they implement the talked about airbag leathers then nothing has changed.

I would say the safety is actually worse, there are far, far less areas covered by the new recticel? bags than used to be covered in straw bales, far far less.

You are obviously just a troll when it comes to racing on the Island. I'll tell you now, you never wanted to hit a bale when it was wet ! It was like concrete. Airbag leathers make absolutely no difference either, unless you avoid everything, and bounce down the middle of the road. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

The air bag leathers can not be guaranteed not to deploy involuntarily in road racing.

You're wrong about the recticel areas being fewer than straw bales, in some places it is erected and dismantled only for the race period. It's all more strategically placed also.  

• Like 1