TT 2022 ??

Barlow

7 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

They were out en masse last night - and patted themselves on the back on how good they were on Facebook - truth is it was the Hobby Bobby's and Cadets pulling over as many cars as you can to sarcastically patronise motorists by the Grandstand.

Daughter got pulled over for doing 35 in a 30 zone (she acknowledges this is over the speed limit) but was a little shaken up that 3 of the Bastard Squad gave her a shitty talking to whilst 10 other uniforms all looked on from 10 yards away - intimidating for a 19 year old.

But your daughter is an adult, a driver, and as you say knows the speed limit. At what age should  you not be intimidated at being giving a shitty talking to for exceeding the speed limit? Should she have been treated with kid gloves because of her age? Should the policeman have just said “ you’ve broken the speed limit, now go on your way”

I myself have been pulled over and fined  for speeding. Yes I was sarcastically patronised but just sat it out and nodded until the lecture was finished.

Accepted I was in the wrong and duly paid the fine.

Did your daughter get a ticket for speeding or just a shitty talking to?

I can understand your feelings as a father wanting to protect your child and this reaction from the police as you describe it seems to be overkill for a relatively minor offence. But an offence it was.

I am concerned a little that you refer to the police as “Bastard Squad”’ and Hobby Bobby’s ( do you mean Special Constables?). You may well need their assistance one day.

• Sad 1

It is not the job of the Police, hobby or other, to humiliate citizens.   The young lady exceeded the speed limit and was pulled up and got a ticket that should have been the end of it.   It is not the job of a policeman to give lectures just to point out why you were stopped and given a ticket.   The fact that this was done in the hearing of other officers who were being trained is disgusting they will now think that this is the correct way to administer the law.   The police go to a lot of trouble to try and engage with the public this kind of attitude does not help with this process.    We are not in North Korea and if this had happened to my daughter I would certainly complain about the way this matter was handled.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It is not the job of the Police, hobby or other, to humiliate citizens.   The young lady exceeded the speed limit and was pulled up and got a ticket that should have been the end of it.   It is not the job of a policeman to give lectures just to point out why you were stopped and given a ticket.   The fact that this was done in the hearing of other officers who were being trained is disgusting they will now think that this is the correct way to administer the law.   The police go to a lot of trouble to try and engage with the public this kind of attitude does not help with this process.    We are not in North Korea and if this had happened to my daughter I would certainly complain about the way this matter was handled.   

North Korea is far more liberal than here!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gizo said:

Nope. The little respect I had for the Bastard squad was completely eroded during lockdown. It showed how power hungry they are and they showed little community spirit then. 
I won’t forget what their true colours are. 

Maybe CM Cannans Covid inquiry will finger the polices antics? It certainly won’t if there is the usual IOMG stooge chairing it. 

4 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But your daughter is an adult, a driver, and as you say knows the speed limit. At what age should  you not be intimidated at being giving a shitty talking to for exceeding the speed limit? Should she have been treated with kid gloves because of her age? Should the policeman have just said “ you’ve broken the speed limit, now go on your way”

I myself have been pulled over and fined  for speeding. Yes I was sarcastically patronised but just sat it out and nodded until the lecture was finished.

Accepted I was in the wrong and duly paid the fine.

Did your daughter get a ticket for speeding or just a shitty talking to?

I can understand your feelings as a father wanting to protect your child and this reaction from the police as you describe it seems to be overkill for a relatively minor offence. But an offence it was.

I am concerned a little that you refer to the police as “Bastard Squad”’ and Hobby Bobby’s ( do you mean Special Constables?). You may well need their assistance one day.

I’m sure not every officer is a right knob, just a select few. I think they see themselves as the moral guardians, the defenders of righteous justice, akin to Robocop or Judge Dread. I’m surprised the taser wasn’t deployed. If they want to hector or lecture, then after they have been given a ticket, give them an opportunity to swap the ticket in exchange for attendance on a speed awareness course. 

• Like 1

Police’person’ in power hungry trip for a 5mph discretion yet in three weeks times they’ll happily watch a load of bikes and cars travel at over 100mph and do Nothing. Absolute nothing. Even go on national tv and say how brilliant it is. 
do me a favour. 

• Like 1

There's no point debating or arguing over TT. 

The pro-TT lobby are so set in their belief that it will go on forever and that the organisers can do no wrong. 

The anti-TT lobby are convinced the TT will end this year and that the big one will happen with Nobles being overrun as a result. 

There's also a large silent minority/majority of the GMP who aren't really arsed about the TT but are getting annoyed at DOI spending so much time/effort on the TT course while other roads are left to go to ruin. They would also quite like to just get on with their lives over the period without taking their lives in their hands just to dive to work. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

No fine or anything - it was the experience of feeling intimidated by a dozen uniformed police people that is the main issue.

My frustration was them bragging about it.

That’s what most coppers are like though, its simply a cat and mouse game. To be caught at 35mph on radar she would have been nearer 40mph on her speedo though, perhaps they could see she was a bit intimated/nervous and let her off with a warning. I do think a first offence (say within 5 year period) should be a fine or offer a driver awareness course to educate on the reasons why/how speed limits are set.

I think even the coppers know that 3 points is quite harsh, especially for someone young with few no claims. I suspect they’ll be training up all these young ones to speed check for TT, I don’t know why visitors get so heavily punished when locals get away with it for the vast majority of the year, visitors at least have an excuse of not knowing the roads.

Edited by Annoymouse