TT 2022 ??

Barlow

I've just been looking at the NW 200 circuit map on their website, and I noticed there have been quite a few modern alterations to it with the purpose of slowing down the competitors. You know, chicanes and stuff. It's got me wondering, has there ever been an alteration to the TT course that had a similar aim? I can't think of one. Plenty to speed them up mind. Anyone? 

18 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

I've just been looking at the NW 200 circuit map on their website, and I noticed there have been quite a few modern alterations to it with the purpose of slowing down the competitors. You know, chicanes and stuff. It's got me wondering, has there ever been an alteration to the TT course that had a similar aim? I can't think of one. Plenty to speed them up mind. Anyone? 

Yes, the Stop box at the pit entrance ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paswt said:

Well whoever did the risk assessment here (Casey's) must have been aware that there have been 5 "offs" here including 2 'fatals' . Previously there was a rock strewn gulley ( initial point of impact of the 2 fatalities )adjacent to the raised curb which has been now  filled in with granite and the bank cut back.  I have  ventured to suggest on a number of occasions to the powers that be that air fencing  would minimise the risk to riders without success and as a result take the view that to continue to marshals to be complicit in failing to consider rider safety. Just saying

BD4A2EEF-C0F4-4B9E-854C-172C9B773613.jpeg

It's road racing though. If you want all that doing then it needs moving to a circuit at Jurby.

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

At least one is where a bike went off before. Connor would have been shish kebab had that been there. 

No he wouldn't. It's about 100m up the road from where conor crashed. 

anyway, all those scaffolds have been in those locations for years as marshaling points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

I can't think of any course modifications to the TT course that have ever been done with the express purpose of slowing things down, in fact the exact opposite while we engage in a dick-waving contest with the UGP for the title of the World's Fastest Road Race.

It's always been the relentless pursuit of higher and higher lap speeds particularly in the last 20 years and modifications to the course in the name of open roads safety have contributed to that. Plus race machinery spec which exceeds that on short circuits.

9 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

They even put a chicane in on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans for that purpose.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

nope, they want the 'World's fastest race' title and will shave off corners (AKA Brandish) in the continued hope that one of the nutters breaks the lap record every year.

3 hours ago, The Chief said:

nope, they want the 'World's fastest race' title and will shave off corners (AKA Brandish) in the continued hope that one of the nutters breaks the lap record every year.

They always seem to quote lap records in terms of speed rather than time, presumably so that shaving off the odd corner, thereby reducing the lap length a bit, means that they don't continually have to qualify lap records with what iteration of the course design was in effect at the time.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Chicanes may slow riders down on straights but the NW200 and UGP have had several fatalities because of them, some quite high profile. Unfortunately insurers and other non riding people tend to think that suddenly slowing down and speeding up is safe!

5 hours ago, The Chief said:

Quarry Bends, Windy Corner and Brandish were all changed to make the roads safer for motorists. Most riders preferred the original layout, they didn't add any significant increases in lap speeds!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

They always seem to quote lap records in terms of speed rather than time, ...

That always really annoys me.  

It must be the only motor racing event in the world (car or motorcycle) where laps and lap records etc are always referred to in terms of mph speed rather than elapsed time.  It's bonkers.

You wouldn't expect a commentator to say that "Hickman now has an average speed advantage of 2.1 mph over Dunlop" rather than "Hickman now has a 6 second advantage over Dunlop" so why the obsession with mph and lap speeds rather than times?

As somebody else said, I suppose it's puerile dick waving over which road racing meet is fastest.  It's pathetic...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Chicanes may slow riders down on straights but the NW200 and UGP have had several fatalities because of them, some quite high profile. Unfortunately insurers and other non riding people tend to think that suddenly slowing down and speeding up is safe!

Quarry Bends, Windy Corner and Brandish were all changed to make the roads safer for motorists. Most riders preferred the original layout, they didn't add any significant increases in lap speeds!

so, the faster corner speeds and shorter distances had almost no effect on anything....................??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

so, the faster corner speeds and shorter distances had almost no effect on anything....................??

Pretty minimal really, a handful of seconds at best. When you speed up one corner you tend to create a problem at the next one, such as the effect of bumps or having to brake harder or slow down earlier. The lap record did increase following the Quarry bends improvements in '88 but not by a huge amount. Likewise in 2007 with Brandish. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Pretty minimal really, a handful of seconds at best. When you speed up one corner you tend to create a problem at the next one, such as the effect of bumps or having to brake harder or slow down earlier. The lap record did increase following the Quarry bends improvements in '88 but not by a huge amount. Likewise in 2007 with Brandish. 

dont forget windy ,    both windy and brandish shortened the course from what it was, both bends have an unrestricted run into them and out. i don't know what the actual corner speeds used to be or what they are now , but when you don't have to slow as much you get back to as fast as possible sooner.  it would be interesting to get an old video of the TT and time how long from out of the 32nd to hillberry dip and then do the same for 2018 footage.