TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I don't know to be honest, you'd think it would be a sensible thing to have anyway?

I've got an idea that they did but it was only for a couple of years, might have been as long ago as mid-nineties too. Probably got dropped in the name of aerodynamics, interfering with increasing lap speeds or something...

• Haha 1

From what I remember of IMCs, there was talk of AMEGA - Assess, Make the Area Safe, Give Emergency Aid, Get Assistance, Deal with the aftermath. Incidents don't always result in Red Flags - I don't think the race was stopped for Milky's epic crash after Ballacraine.  I've witnessed major incidents where the first thing that marshals did was clear the debris off the road so that other racers could pass safely and the incident didn't snowball - while they were doing this, other marshals were getting flags out, dealing with the casualty and talking to race control to let them know what was going on and what assistance was needed. It's all about teamwork and takes time to develop, and one of the skills is dealing with panicking members of the public who might want to jump into the road to try to help, or to try to stop the race where it's not safe to do so, leaping in to the road like one of the Railway Children.

There was training on the IMC for stabilising the spine, helmet removal, rolling a casualty on to a stretcher, using the split stretcher and moving the casualty over obstacles to load onto the helicopter. There was discussion of moving casualties who were in a dangerous position, and the risks of moving them.

Marshalling is a skill and a serious responsibility and I remember Michael Moyle's comments at an inquest, noting that even though marshals are volunteers, they still have accountability.

It's not for everyone, because incidents are chaotic events and they will test your ability to stay calm, work as a team and do the right thing under the most testing of circumstances, and when spectators are losing their shit all around you- I remember a shell-shocked marshal who'd been told to clear debris after a major incident brushing that debris on to a casualty who was receiving emergency aid at the side of the road, until she was quietly relieved of the brush and moved on. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Bastard said:

From what I remember of IMCs, there was talk of AMEGA - Assess, Make the Area Safe, Give Emergency Aid, Get Assistance, Deal with the aftermath. Incidents don't always result in Red Flags - I don't think the race was stopped for Milky's epic crash after Ballacraine.  I've witnessed major incidents where the first thing that marshals did was clear the debris off the road so that other racers could pass safely and the incident didn't snowball - while they were doing this, other marshals were getting flags out, dealing with the casualty and talking to race control to let them know what was going on and what assistance was needed. It's all about teamwork and takes time to develop, and one of the skills is dealing with panicking members of the public who might want to jump into the road to try to help, or to try to stop the race where it's not safe to do so, leaping in to the road like one of the Railway Children.

There was training on the IMC for stabilising the spine, helmet removal, rolling a casualty on to a stretcher, using the split stretcher and moving the casualty over obstacles to load onto the helicopter. There was discussion of moving casualties who were in a dangerous position, and the risks of moving them.

Marshalling is a skill and a serious responsibility and I remember Michael Moyle's comments at an inquest, noting that even though marshals are volunteers, they still have accountability.

It's not for everyone, because incidents are chaotic events and they will test your ability to stay calm, work as a team and do the right thing under the most testing of circumstances, and when spectators are losing their shit all around you- I remember a shell-shocked marshal who'd been told to clear debris after a major incident brushing that debris on to a casualty who was receiving emergency aid at the side of the road, until she was quietly relieved of the brush and moved on. 

Agreed entirely. There was no red flag after Milky's crash, in fact there was no need. Some marshals do react badly, but to be fair, it's usually because they have never seen an accident before. 

The secret is training, training and training. Which is what the TTMA are, and to be fair, have always been pushing. With training, and taking the job seriously, you spring into action and go through all the correct procedures without having to think about it. The sense of panic disappears and the likelihood of PTSD is lessened.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Agreed entirely. There was no red flag after Milky's crash, in fact there was no need. Some marshals do react badly, but to be fair, it's usually because they have never seen an accident before. 

The secret is training, training and training. Which is what the TTMA are, and to be fair, have always been pushing. With training, and taking the job seriously, you spring into action and go through all the correct procedures without having to think about it. The sense of panic disappears and the likelihood of PTSD is lessened.  

Importantly an experienced marshal doesn’t spring into action. He/she waits for the flags, assesses the situation and then reacts. 

• Like 2

A few hundred marshals down same time of year compared to 2018/19 by the looks...but there again, plenty of visitors and locals will be coming and willing to sign up.

I'm expecting a last minute push for volunteers....but not a shortage.

The 2 Bank hols in practice week should help...as many will only need 3 day's holidays for 9 days off.

If the weather pushes races toward the end of TT week, then another push for locals to sign up on Thursday/Senior Race day, when a lot of visitors have headed back.

12 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A few hundred marshals down same time of year compared to 2018/19 by the looks...but there again, plenty of visitors and locals will be coming and willing to sign up.

I'm expecting a last minute push for volunteers....but not a shortage.

The 2 Bank hols in practice week should help...as many will only need 3 day's holidays for 9 days off.

If the weather pushes races toward the end of TT week, then another push for locals to sign up on Thursday/Senior Race day, when a lot of visitors have headed back.

There's no shortage. 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-enough-marshals-says-enterprise-minister/

"due to the improved training programmes, there will be almost three times as many fully trained marshals compared to previous years" - Alex Allinson MHK 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

"due to the improved training programmes, there will be almost three times as many fully trained marshals compared to previous years" - Alex Allinson MHK 

in the past there were 600 marshals but only 50 were fully trained,  now we only have 300 marshals but 150 are fully trained ,

something like that ???

Edited by WTF

Rob Callister has been interviewed by Paul Moulton, bigging up the TT, talking about how the scoreboard was taken down due to Health and Safety issues. Apparently, former Minister Skelly prior to Covid had big plans for the grandstand, with plans to spend £40-50 million on a new grandstand and associated facilities. Covid spoilt the plans. If we can spend £70million and rising on a ferry terminal in Liverpool, by the time Rob Callister and others have pleaded and wished for a new grandstand, I could see a £100 million white elephant, with a scoreboard that won’t work. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:42 PM, The Phantom said:

Zee German Dhoon verge campers have pitched up.

TT has started in my book!

I reckon generally a few more bikes over than usual at this time. Maybe Steam Packet would be able to confirm. In fact they would probably be able to supply a whole load of data such as length of stay etc compared to last years'. I would think accommodation is easier to find if folk stay for longer. I know a few years back there were the part-time sunny Sunday bikers trying to book their trips around the middle weekend Friday night to Monday morning. Hardly worth changing the bed sheets for to leave the rooms empty rest of fortnight.

My visitors have decided to lengthen their stay and I know they want to experience the Island outside of TT week more this time. Which is great.