TT 2022 ??

Barlow

This is interesting. I've just been reading this post on the shown FB TT supporters page. Apparently the Steamie are levelling a £48 "admin fee" for travellers wishing to change the registration details of their accompanying vehicles on their respective sailings. Does anybody have any further info?

Screenshot_20220519-230804_Facebook.jpg

41 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

This is interesting. I've just been reading this post on the shown FB TT supporters page. Apparently the Steamie are levelling a £48 "admin fee" for travellers wishing to change the registration details of their accompanying vehicles on their respective sailings. Does anybody have any further info?

Screenshot_20220519-230804_Facebook.jpg

£48 seems steep. 

But at the same time people would kick off if the Ben went down with everyone on board and there wasn't an accurate passenger list... 

On 5/19/2022 at 11:57 PM, 0bserver said:

£48 seems steep. 

But at the same time people would kick off if the Ben went down with everyone on board and there wasn't an accurate passenger list... 

For £48 it’s cheaper to get a number plate made up with the booking reg (£12 on eBay) and swap them over when you get to port.

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

How come those German Pikey types get away with lighting damaging fires like that? A local would soon get moved on. 

wild camping at it best/worst  . bet they even bought their own food with them.  we will need a lot of these to add to the GDP

Edited by WTF

9 minutes ago, WTF said:

wild camping at it best/worst  . bet they even bought their own food with them.  we will need a lot of these to add to the GDP

I have a couple of German TT visitors, homestays periodically. They arrive with 3 bikes in a Volkswagen Transporter (cheaper that way on the ferry crossings, both IoM and Hull apparently) and every remaining cubic inch stuffed full of food, beer and provisions for their stay, even bog roll. Self-sufficient. Their only real spend is their nights in the pub, annual t-shirts and occasional meal before they return home to Germany. I've never really enquired, but I wonder how much, if anything, they save by doing it that way?

20 minutes ago, WTF said:

What is it with you lot and the constant negativity? Tourists could be handing out twenty quid notes and the likes of you would complain “meh I want a 50.” Seriously. 

That group has been coming here for 40 YEARS without fail. Even in 2001 he came. Only corona prevented them the last two years. Sometimes up to ten of them and usually only with their bikes, so limited space to bring stuff. Loads of money spent by them on the island. People stop by there to chat and have a drink and at the end they clean it all up again. Gruseleck is the type of thing no overpaid TT marketing bod could ever come up with even if he tried. 

This year only Klaus is here from the original group and he came by car instead of bike due to health issues. Anyone who stops by there is greeted by a warm smile and offered a drink or food. The back story, the kindness and hospitality, and the genuine fucking love these people have for the island is priceless and all you lot can do is complain. Makes me sad and angry. 

33F242B0-DBAA-4C4E-AF07-72D32BB3ECCA.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I have a couple of German TT visitors, homestays periodically. They arrive with 3 bikes in a Volkswagen Transporter (cheaper that way on the ferry crossings, both IoM and Hull apparently) and every remaining cubic inch stuffed full of food, beer and provisions for their stay, even bog roll. Self-sufficient. Their only real spend is their nights in the pub, annual t-shirts and occasional meal before they return home to Germany. I've never really enquired, but I wonder how much, if anything, they save by doing it that way?

And all the local motorhome dwellers who leave the island don't do exactly the same thing? It's a matter of convenience and being able to get what you need I would think, rather than an attempt to undermine the local economies! 

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

So if I had been coming for 40 years and camping on the grass opposite the Queens as a Douglas councillor you would vote to allow me to continue to do so because I had done so in the past?

I can’t see it to be honest.

I can't see you ever being allowed to camp on that piece of grass to have made a tradition of it anyway? The guys at the Dhoon are doing no harm and should have been moved 40 years ago if there was a problem! 

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I changed my reg number on a car booking last week and there was no charge.

I had a quick look at the Steam Packet site and I suspect this has been treated as a TT cancellation (the fee is a percentage) which is fair enough if not just the vehicle reg but the passengers that have been altered as well.

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I can't see you ever being allowed to camp on that piece of grass to have made a tradition of it anyway? The guys at the Dhoon are doing no harm and should have been moved 40 years ago if there was a problem! 

40 years ago they stopped there after one of them crashed at the corner in bad weather just after their arrival on the island one foggy night. They decided to camp there for the night as they were basically lost. The next nine years they came back and nobody ever said anything. Ten years in they were invited to town hall (not sure if Douglas or nearby) and they first thought they were in trouble and have to move. Instead, someone from local government - a person with clearly more kindness and vision than some people here - told them as they had been there ten years, they could stay there again every year if they wanted to. Now they have become one of the many little stories that makes the TT the TT and I love it. Luckily, grumpy old men who have nothing better to do than complain about things like this are in the minority. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

"I say, I say, I say, vot do you call a corner that a passing neighbour suggested had a scary looking fire on it?"

"I don't know,  vot do you call a corner that a passing neighbour suggested had a scary looking fire on it?"

"Scary Corner!"

"Ha ha, Mein Gott, Halt, you're killing me!"

Edited by ManxTaxPayer
  • Haha 3