TT 2022 ??

Barlow

17 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

If I end up having to pay to follow the TT, I suspect I won't miss following it either...

That's been true for a lot of people. Not many have actually 'missed' the TT at all over the last 2 years. 

They've missed the atmosphere but not the so-called races. 

26 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Assuming they've just bought credits, they are 'offset' by someone else. 

Full layman dumbdown (so I understand it)

If you're a company that reduces it's pollution significantly you can claim Credits from the World Bank.

Other actual 'green' projects can also claim them by ensuring the stopping of deforestation or protecting a natural area.  These Credits are usually a bit more valuable. 

They can then be sold.  Usually to companies that go over their polluting allowance. 

So called "carbon credits" are nothing more than a sophisticated scam. To put it in simple terms, snake oil salesmen have sold them fresh air from the other side of the world for large sums of money. This was rife years ago when China was buying fresh air to compensate for the huge coal burning furnaces they were (and still are) using. Lots of people got very rich creating this little beaut...

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Assuming they've just bought credits, they are 'offset' by someone else. 

Full layman dumbdown (so I understand it)

If you're a company that reduces it's pollution significantly you can claim Credits from the World Bank.

Other actual 'green' projects can also claim them by ensuring the stopping of deforestation or protecting a natural area.  These Credits are usually a bit more valuable. 

They can then be sold.  Usually to companies that go over their polluting allowance. 

How do you prove it? I'm making carbon offsetting certificates, I make good price, looky looky.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

So called "carbon credits" are nothing more than a sophisticated scam. To put it in simple terms, snake oil salesmen have sold them fresh air from the other side of the world for large sums of money. This was rife years ago when China was buying fresh air to compensate for the huge coal burning furnaces they were (and still are) using. Lots of people got very rich creating this little beaut...

Constructive. 

Personally I think it's actually pretty interesting.  Unfortunately the realities of business are that it is rarely financially beneficial for a company to reduce its carbon production.  Money talks and if they can be paid to reduce it, then this is obviously more attractive. 

I've seen first hand some significant anti-deforestation (and indigenous community) projects that have been put together to earn money from Credits.  Again, ideally people would do it because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.  But if they can also get paid for it, then everyone's a winner.  Especially if you run a 2 week carbon emission fest and want to virtue signal.

To be honest if they were still running the Zero, they could probably actually offset the real savings of that race... 

2 minutes ago, 2bees said:

How do you prove it? I'm making carbon offsetting certificates, I make good price, looky looky.

Some sort of audit process from the World Bank or their minions (e.g. REDD+) to issue the originals. 

https://redd.unfccc.int/

They then end up on a trading market, like stocks.

You can personally invest in a few Carbon Credit funds to take advantage of the market fluctuations.  Prices have gone up quite a bit over the last few years. 

On 5/19/2022 at 1:31 PM, The Phantom said:

I've done some work in the past with Norfund.  The largest Sovereign Wealth/Pension Fund in the world.  Set up by Norway using surplus cash from it's oil.  Now invests in predominantly green and development projects in Africa. 

We can but dream.... 

https://earth.org/how-norways-oil-industry-will-determine-its-future/

From the Gas Deposit thread. 

Norfund are significant investors in many of these REDD projects.  They provide the seed capital, then reap the rewards later. 

9 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Interesting to note that the chap who is funding the greenwashing, sorry I mean carbon offsetting.  Is a member of digital isle of man.

Suppose that's how business works.

Imagine I'm CEO of a payments company within a group that provides carbon offsetting and have access to head of DfE. 

I might suggest to the head of DfE that "wouldn't it be great to market TT as carbon neutral?"

Head of DfE - "great, yes. We will immediately start a fully transparent procurement process so we get maximum taxpayer value for money"

Or something...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1