TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Well i am pleased that you have convinced yourselves.

The only thing that stimulates change in motorsport is necessity. Necessity drives innovation. Innovation filters down to products. It doesn't work the other way around.

Therefore if the motorsport bodies banned ICE motorcycle racing then manufacturers would work on Ebikes because racing is their marketing. Products would follow.

Of course they won't have the balls to do that so they will have to be forced and eventually it will happen. You wont stop it and your argument will fall flat.

Regarding  "carbon emissions from motorcycles are miniscule in terms of transport emissions". This may be correct but then you could trot that excuse out for almost anything. The carbon emissions for Ferraris is minuscule as well. Maybe they will be exempt from change too. I doubt it somehow.

You're correct, necessity is the mother of invention. You're also right the lack of necessity has undoubtedly slowed the development of technology in electric motorcycle racing. Motorcycle racing will change in the future due to necessity as it always has done in the past. 

At least part of the appeal of racing, certainly the TT, is that competitors use machinery which in some way resemble the machines spectators are able to ride. There are no plans to end the sale of ICE motorcycles in the UK or Europe or anywhere else as far as I know. Whatever your opinion on necessity is, It's fair to say the world doesn't share it.

Indeed the IOM Government with its most recent eco driven changes to road tax has reduced motorcycle taxation across the board, quite substantially in most cases.

You're also right that Ferraris will not be exempt from change, nor should they be. They are not a fundamental form of affordable, environmentally friendly transport for large parts of the world.

I'm sorry if none of this suits you but, as I said, bigotry is no substitute for logic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

QED

You seem to want to keep on kidding yourself

Perhaps bikes could be converted to hydrogen

You might be right, in our lifetime motorbikes might survive. Don't know why an ICE car can be banned but a MC is OK but you are right no plans to ban them....just yet. Especially when so many are just used for enjoyment. I wonder if your predecessors said the same about chariots and chariot racing:D

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

As Max Power has rightly pointed out the technology and manufacturer interest has created only very bland and uninteresting racing so far.

I just don't get this. To take two wheels around that course at an average of 120mph, with a battery, And that is bland?

It reminds me of these aul guys tapping away on their woodbines, "t'aint reet unless you can hear the bikes" or pining over the loss of the two strokes, and the absence of the smell of Castrol fucking R.

I see where they are coming from, don't get me wrong but progress is progress.

One of these manufacturers needs to bring a load of electric bikes over to the TT for people to test ride, for free, at Jurby. 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You seem to want to keep on kidding yourself

Perhaps bikes could be converted to hydrogen

You might be right, in our lifetime motorbikes might survive. Don't know why an ICE car can be banned but a MC is OK but you are right no plans to ban them....just yet. Especially when so many are just used for enjoyment. I wonder if your predecessors said the same about chariots and chariot racing:D

Not kidding myself, bikes will change, nothing new there, why would they suddenly stop changing now?

Perhaps they will convert to hydrogen, who knows?

Motorbikes will survive long beyond our lifetime, I'm certain of that.

The reason you don't know the difference is because you're approaching the problem with bigotry rather than logic.

I believe chariots and chariot racing still exist, not my bag but live and let live eh?

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I just don't get this. To take two wheels around that course at an average of 120mph, with a battery, And that is bland?

It reminds me of these aul guys tapping away on their woodbines, "t'aint reet unless you can hear the bikes" or pining over the loss of the two strokes, and the absence of the smell of Castrol fucking R.

One of these manufacturers needs to bring a load of electric bikes over to the TT for people to test ride, for free, at Jurby. 

You're so right, progress is progress and I welcome it, I'm not against TTzero at all, I actually quite like it and have high hopes for its future. It's not a patch on the other racing at the moment but it's early days.

Your idea about bringing a load of electric bikes over is an excellent one, but it does demonstrate the problem - Mugen, Motoczysz, etc. don't make electric bikes, nor are they likely to start anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not kidding myself, bikes will change, nothing new there, why would they suddenly stop changing now?

Perhaps they will convert to hydrogen, who knows?

Motorbikes will survive long beyond our lifetime, I'm certain of that.

The reason you don't know the difference is because you're approaching the problem with bigotry rather than logic.

I believe chariots and chariot racing still exist, not my bag but live and let live eh?

That's quite insulting. I don't know why some people on here can't have a debate without resorting to insults.

I love motorsport and I love the TT. However I am not a hypocrite. We either embrace a stance to reduce CO2 emission or we don't. Racing with ICE vehicles, be it MBs or cars or trucks goes against that doesn't it?

The whole thing it stands for is from another time now. We should be looking for entertainment in a way that ticks both boxes. We should be moving forward for the future of racing, not its past. Motorcycle racing bodies and fans that deny the need to move to zero emissions will cause the sport to die off and it will be their own doing.

37 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Is not some of the excitement the noise?  I didn't see the low noise pfffft fireworks, but imagine they weren't so much fun.

Lets face it, the hum of an electric bike is a bit boring. 

However, you could surely put speakers on the bikes and synthesize something more interesting.  A different animal for each team?  Imagine them sounding like a screaming goat as they went past, listening out for that roaring lion coming down from the Creg... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

There are no plans to end the sale of ICE motorcycles in the UK or Europe or anywhere else as far as I know. Whatever your opinion on necessity is, It's fair to say the world doesn't share it.

Chance for the Island to make an Environmental Statement that will send a message around the world. Road Racing Capital of the World bans carbon emitting motorbikes. 

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's quite insulting. I don't know why some people on here can't have a debate without resorting to insults.

I love motorsport and I love the TT. However I am not a hypocrite. We either embrace a stance to reduce CO2 emission or we don't. Racing with ICE vehicles, be it MBs or cars or trucks goes against that doesn't it?

The whole thing it stands for is from another time now. We should be looking for entertainment in a way that ticks both boxes. We should be moving forward for the future of racing, not its past. Motorcycle racing bodies and fans that deny the need to move to zero emissions will cause the sport to die off and it will be their own doing.

There's been an electric bike race at the TT since 2008, despite poor grids and even poorer racing (the outcome of most races is known in advance) and little interest from fans. As far as I'm aware none of the manufacturers competing have ever produced or even had plans to produce a production motorcycle. If it was a new ICE class it wouldn't have made it to 2009. If that isn't embracing a reduction in CO2 emissions in racing then I don't know what is.

You talk about the past and the future of the TT. The past should be celebrated and the future should be embraced, that's exactly what the TT does extremely well.

However you completely ignore the present. We need to embrace the present too or there'll be no future. Like it or not the world has decided that moving away from ICE motorbikes is not a priority, and has no plans to do so. Racing is simply following suit.

• Like 1