TT 2022 ??

Barlow

13 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

at least it’s not just been immediately swept up and carried on with like it never happened.

That’s probably because the road needed repairs, not because someone died. 

I hate the euphemistic way these high-energy, body-destroying deaths are reported. It’s always “somebody has passed away, he was a really great guy and will be sorely missed” etc. Passed away is when your grandad dies in his sleep, not hitting a wall at 150mph. I suspect the organisers know that the public have to be treated like children (he’s watching the races from TT heaven now etc) because if they knew what really happens there’d very soon be a groundswell of opinion that this carnage has to stop. 

I love the fact that the island is alive, with all the events and festival atmosphere, but is there any way of doing that without the deaths, life-changing injuries, and over-whelming of the regional trauma network in the process?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I hate the euphemistic way these high-energy, body-destroying deaths are reported. It’s always “somebody has passed away, he was a really great guy and will be sorely missed” etc. Passed away is when your grandad dies in his sleep, not hitting a wall at 150mph. I suspect the organisers know that the public have to be treated like children (he’s watching the races from TT heaven now etc) because if they knew what really happens there’d very soon be a groundswell of opinion that this carnage has to stop. 

I love the fact that the island is alive, with all the events and festival atmosphere, but is there any way of doing that without the deaths, life-changing injuries, and over-whelming of the regional trauma network in the process?

Thank you for posting this @wrighty

It's reassuring to read such sense from a well respected person in the island community. I assume your comments are likely grounded in having to deal with the aftermath of the 'event'. 

Your comments about overwhelming the regional trauma network are worrying... is that down to the sheer number that have been shipped to Aintree? 

All the comments from MHKs, organisers and others about thoughts and prayers, condolences and sadness is all bollocks. They were all down Bushy's, 1886 or the Trackside within a couple of hours. 

Of course they would have swept up and carried on if the road surface hadn't been wrecked in the aftermath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Anyone said:

Closing the thread for a bit of time ( and with the supercilious attitude ) was a bit silly. Everyone knew what had happened so why hide it. Whether you support the TT or not I don’t see what was achieved. We all know that every race meet we have here racers will die. And we will all have different views on whether that is acceptable. Shutting down the debate isn’t. 

Usual reason appears to be over inflated self importance.much like most of the opinions and posts on an insignificant forum that holds no real value

48 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Thank you for posting this @wrighty

It's reassuring to read such sense from a well respected person in the island community. I assume your comments are likely grounded in having to deal with the aftermath of the 'event'. 

Much like Barker and a several others at the hospital,but more of a gobby drama queen

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

Succinct, Doc...

The Simon Andrews memorial lap today, held to commemorate "fallen riders."

More TT romanticism. More deflection akin to the ubiquitous "died doing something he loved", attempting to conjure up a suggestion of heroism and sacrifice for a greater-good, like soldiers in a war.

Fucking bollocks... 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Succinct, Doc...

The Simon Andrews memorial lap today, held to commemorate "fallen riders."

More TT romanticism. More deflection akin to the usual "died doing something he loved" Attempting to conjure up a suggestion of heroism and dying for a greater-good, like soldiers in a war.

Fucking bollocks... 

Good words. I'm not one of those that goes around campaigning for the end of the TT. I quite like it. I was on Bray Hill yesterday. I'm no hypocrite.

However it does amaze me that it still goes on. The Island effectively facilitates the event. It's not a private enterprise.

It's a great event, but can it sustain. Already 4 maimed and 2 killed and we have only had one race. Is that really sustainable? I fear for its future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

probably not, we don't get the weather.

I wrestle with this. For me, the focus was always open-roads safety. The Racing was a side show, which from a risk management perspective often made me cringe. But it is what it is - one of the last gladiatorial spectacles on earth.

I think it is of note that even with the much lauded new approach to safety, headed up by two chaps I respect, there have still been two deaths, and critical injuries.

Does this now need to be a binary decision? Is it either races or no races? I've never been convinced that it is some sort of financial saviour of the Island nor that the books even balance. They certainly don't when you factor in the cost of medical and coronial intervention 

Like you Wrighty, I love that festival atmosphere, but have been similarly professionally affected. What can be done to maintain that, but change the perspective to one where everyone goes home in one piece? 

Just now, Happier diner said:

It's a great event, but can it sustain. Already 4 maimed and 2 killed and we have only had one race. Is that really sustainable? I fear for its future. 

i think people having 2 years out this type of racing has reduced familiarity and as such increased risk, it is like pilots and other professions that have to put the hours in to stay current , that said it will come back to them,  it's like riding a bike.

• Like 1

Yes I agree with that. I was at the grandstand yesterday as the news started to filter back and the pictures of the aftermath started to appear on social media. How long did those guys get “doing what they loved”? The grandstand to the bottom of Bray Hill is probably less than 30 seconds at 160mph. So it’s flat tap acceleration for 30 seconds or less, hit wall, game over. That isn’t “passing away” by any measure I agree. I was glad some of the footage came off social media but then it did show how brutal this incident actually was. The whole thing left me feeling quite angry listening to the shite people were talking about “well that’s the TT isn’t it”. Often the same sort of idiots who two years ago were crying about the borders having to be closed to stop us all dying a horrible death in ICU now accepting someone’s horrible death in ICU as part of the Manx way of life. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I wrestle with this. For me, the focus was always open-roads safety. The Racing was a side show, which from a risk management perspective often made me cringe. But it is what it is - one of the last gladiatorial spectacles on earth.

I think it is of note that even with the much lauded new approach to safety, headed up by two chaps I respect, there have still been two deaths, and critical injuries.

Does this now need to be a binary decision? Is it either races or no races? I've never been convinced that it is some sort of financial saviour of the Island nor that the books even balance. They certainly don't when you factor in the cost of medical and coronial intervention 

Like you Wrighty, I love that festival atmosphere, but have been similarly professionally affected. What can be done to maintain that, but change the perspective to one where everyone goes home in one piece? 

As a fan of the TT I am often baffled by the cost v income.  Previously government have said it's impossible to cost the event, but they can calculate the income.

This year's costs will be eye watering, and not available for public scrutiny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cissolt said:

As a fan of the TT I am often baffled by the cost v income.  Previously government have said it's impossible to cost the event, but they can calculate the income.

This year's costs will be eye watering, and not available for public scrutiny.

They do publish a report on this and will have to publish it along with the cost for the festival of motorcycling (or whatever it's called this week) for this year's event. 

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs

And in an event supported, encouraged and promoted by the Isle of Man Government.   Shame on them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They do publish a report on this and will have to publish it along with the cost for the festival of motorcycling (or whatever it's called this week) for this year's event. 

If anybody can believe what is actually in it, that's a different matter...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Nevertheless in the meantime we will have a beaming Rob Callister clumsily pumping out his general TT arse-licking nonsense on social media regardless of cost. Even if it is an hour or so after a red flag incident where it was already clear someone had very likely died. All he now needs to do is start calling himself the “Minister of Fun” and the transition is complete. 

• Like 2