TT 2022 ??

Barlow

53 minutes ago, cissolt said:

As a fan of the TT I am often baffled by the cost v income.  Previously government have said it's impossible to cost the event, but they can calculate the income.

This year's costs will be eye watering, and not available for public scrutiny.

A few marshals I've spoken to are firmly of the opinion that without the TT the Isle of Man would be crippled financially.  Quite how they think two weeks revenue keeps the island afloat the rest of the year is beyond my comprehension.  And, that the finance sector provides a significant portion of the island's GDP is seemingly beyond theirs. 

If the TT is as profitable as some would have you believe, then I'm sure by now Isle of Man Government would have produced or invented some statistics to prove their case.  But nothing, beyond the usual platitudes.  Instead, we are told that to establish such profitability etc is complicated.  And in Isle of Man Government speak, we all know what that means.    

Edited by Mysteron
  • Like 2

The TT is a moral conundrum and the conundrum gets more puzzling as time goes on. The event only exists to support the hospitality sector of the economy and to do so it has to be an attraction for visitors. The attraction for visitors is the uniqueness of the event and that uniqueness is grounded in the danger it presents. I know many fellow bikers will say it’s not the danger it’s the skill of the riders that attracts them, but that is not really the truth. If you want to see riding skill, you can see that at the elite level of motorcycle sport on any circuit. It’s the danger that gives the TT thrill and the Government promotes the event on the back of it. It’s an unspoken truth. 
As I get older, I appreciate the value of moral certainty and the compromises that moral conundrums bring. Somebody, sometime needs to bring moral certainty to the TT and decide whether entertainment and death can live together and whether support for the hospitality sector has to involve a moral compromise. That decision takes levels fortitude and courage not to be found in our current political opportunists. 

Edited by joebean
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Your comments about overwhelming the regional trauma network are worrying... is that down to the sheer number that have been shipped to Aintree? 

Overwhelmed was probably the wrong phrase. They have more than enough trauma without the TT, because like everywhere they’re struggling to find staff and have the hangover from the pandemic etc. So they could do without the predictable uplift in workload this event supplies. I think we’ve sent 5 major traumas over so far. And we’re only halfway through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

A few marshals I've spoken to are firmly of the opinion that without the TT the Isle of Man would be crippled financially.  Quite how they think two weeks revenue keeps the island afloat the rest of the year is beyond my comprehension.  And that the finance sector provides a significant portion of the island's GDP is seemingly beyond theirs. 

If the TT is as profitable as some would have you believe, then I'm sure by now Isle of Man Government would have produced or invented some statistics to prove their case.  But nothing, beyond the usual platitudes.  Instead, we are told that to establish such profitability etc is complicated.  And in Isle of Man Government speak, we all know what that means.    

Tourism (including the TT) accounts for less than 1% of the island's GDP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Overwhelmed was probably the wrong phrase. They have more than enough trauma without the TT, because like everywhere they’re struggling to find staff and have the hangover from the pandemic etc. So they could do without the predictable uplift in workload this event supplies. I think we’ve sent 5 major traumas over so far. And we’re only halfway through. 

That makes sense. I've posted previously that the TT shows a total lack of respect to our health service. 'We' expect you all at the hospital to deal with smashed up bodies just so the hotels can earn a few extra shekels.

14 minutes ago, joebean said:

The event only exists to support the hospitality sector of the economy

When it's laid out in the cold light of day, the TT is just blood money.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

And in an event supported, encouraged and promoted by the Isle of Man Government.   Shame on them.

The press black out within 10 minutes of the incident occurring should have told everyone all they needed to know. It will be interesting to see the spin their PR people try to put on this. A new TT sidecar team who had literally a few laps practice sadly plowing into a wall within a mile of the starting line. I’m sure they’re waiting to see what happens to the rider who does not sadly sound to be in good shape either. But it just highlights how unpalatable aspects of the TT are.

It would appear that there may be a lot more to come out about the incident at the bottom of Bray Hill. Autosport magazine are reporting "it is thought that" two outfits were involved. 

Sidecar racer dies after incident on Saturday at Isle of Man TT (autosport.com)

Are they more on the ball than our local media outlets?  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

To be fair, that's a given.  Wonder how many times the phrase 'sub judice' might have been mentioned...

Quite a few spectators along that stretch too, I would imagine. 

5 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

It would appear that there may be a lot more to come out about the incident at the bottom of Bray Hill. Autosport magazine are reporting "it is thought that" two outfits were involved. 

That’s why I think waiting for the red flag clearance from race control needs to change, in that 60 seconds it took for race control to red flag that was another 6 machines sent flying down Bray Hill, yes it was yellow flagged but riders don’t know if that’s for debris on track or someone broken down and they don’t back off that much because it’s still a timed lap.

The football rolling down Bray Hill as MCpint had just started his lap could have also ended in disaster, how can you yellow flag a moving hazard?

23 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

Sidecar racer dies after incident on Saturday at Isle of Man TT (autosport.com)

There were 4 ambulances in attendance that’s for sure which is consistent with two crews. There was talk of one being clipped leading to the other going off very early on yesterday. 

45 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

The press black out within 10 minutes of the incident occurring should have told everyone all they needed to know. It will be interesting to see the spin their PR people try to put on this. A new TT sidecar team who had literally a few laps practice sadly plowing into a wall within a mile of the starting line. I’m sure they’re waiting to see what happens to the rider who does not sadly sound to be in good shape either. But it just highlights how unpalatable aspects of the TT are.

I wonder how many actual completed laps of practice the sidecars had, as I got the impression that they were sacrificed for the other classes, where the practice sessions were red flagged. 

Will Sidecar Race 1 be restarted during the week, if so will be competitors be given an opportunity to practice, or will the bigger paying teams get more practice time?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I wonder how many actual completed laps of practice the sidecars had, as I got the impression that they were sacrificed for the other classes, where the practice sessions were red flagged. 

The sidecars got only a few laps of practice in that’s for sure. You get a sense of panic setting in on the PR side already. The delays in the red flag system (isn’t this new for this year?) also seem to have fired a lot more sidecar crews into this mess given how close the incident was to the starting line. As someone has said above a delay of even 30 seconds will fire a lot more crews into an already bad situation. I would guess they’re waiting for news on the rider before saying anything further. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

A few marshals I've spoken to are firmly of the opinion that without the TT the Isle of Man would be crippled financially.  Quite how they think two weeks revenue keeps the island afloat the rest of the year is beyond my comprehension.  And, that the finance sector provides a significant portion of the island's GDP is seemingly beyond theirs. 

To be fair, I know a couple of already very seasonal businesses that'd fold without the TT. 

Not that I think the financials are that relevant anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

Why would they try to put a feckin "spin" on it. A rider has tragically lost his life but some on here use it as an "I told you so". An average of 6 motorcyclists a week lose their lives in accidents on UK roads. Racers here are aware of the risks involved with motorcycling and not just at the TT. There have been around 120 deaths involving the GP series. They don't go out with the intention of getting killed but sadly, very sadly it happens. What can be done to prevent this? I'd guess not a lot. Course safety has been improved in recent years but not to the point that total protection can be guaranteed

• Thanks 2