TT 2022 ??

Barlow

Just now, 0bserver said:

You don't know their operating costs. Therefore you cannot say whether it's proportionate or not.

I know they pay a lot of cash for their pitch for the fortnight. I heard that bottled gas is astronomical in price here compared to the UK recently, and they couldn't bring it with them.

6 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

They could simply increase the price, then. The handling fee is unacceptable.

Yes. Card payments are now generally cheaper to handle (sum up I think is around 1.7%) than cash deposits at the bank (2 - 3%). And you can pick a sum up reader up for a very reasonable price. 

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You don't know their operating costs. Therefore you cannot say whether it's proportionate or not.

I think you've missed the point.  It's the non-cash surcharge that was claimed to be not proportionate, not the price of whatever goods are being sold.  If they can make a profit by not charging cash sales, the same must apply for cards.  It's still the same burger at the same price.

As far as I can tell, not charging extra for cards has remained in UK (and Manx) law since Brexit and so it's illegal and the OFT should be cracking down on it.  And given the amount banks charge for handling cash, compared to card payments, there's no real need to charge extra for businesses operating legitimately.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No they didn't, nothing travels in reverse direction anymore other than in a life and death situation. Some riders found their own way back via the back roads I assume.

I was at the Grandstand and nothing made it’s way passed from Signpost or the Creg on either closed or open roads so I’d assume they were sent back. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

A minute seems an age when things like this happen, but a red flag at the scene wouldn't make the slightest difference, waved yellows slow the riders and warn them to be prepared to stop. A red flag is to halt proceedings rather than a signal to stop at the scene, that's why it is shown around the course. Riders stopped around a blind bend could be more dangerous as riders can pile into each other. The red flag locations are at specific points to prevent this. 

I love this armchair clerk of the coursery!

While your opinion carries more weight than the random TT apologists, sometimes you can be too close to the action and events to lose your sense of perspective. 

You may right it off as armchair clerk of the coursery but it's valid commentary.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Yes. Card payments are now generally cheaper to handle (sum up I think is around 1.7%) than cash deposits at the bank (2 - 3%). And you can pick a sum up reader up for a very reasonable price. 

Sumup is around 2.5% max anyone charging £1 to process a card payment for a burger or a can of beer is a crook. It isn’t legal anyway as the original poster suggests. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Sumup is around 2.5% max anyone charging £1 to process a card payment for a burger or a can of beer is a crook. It isn’t legal anyway as the original poster suggests. 

No extra charges for cards at Bushys last night although a burger was £5.50 , cheeseburger was £6.50 and Michael chippy we’re doing chip baps for £4 and they were all busy!!

• Like 1