TT 2022 ??

Barlow

Just now, The Phantom said:

Probably be everyone hitting up the TT Live app for some kind of news on the racing.

It's actually been quite interesting to see there is more or less a complete news blackout since they brought in the pay for app.  You used to be able to nip onto one of the local news/radio sites and they'd tell you if roads have closed on time, whether racing has started, who is in the lead etc.  No longer. 

The official TT Twitter seems like the best place at the moment. For some reason they don't replicate the same posts on their Facebook page though. Odd.

• Like 1

I didn’t hear any mention of a red flag incident on TT plus, all the focus was on the podium/top ten,  It’s only as I’ve gone to check in to see the build up for the sidecars that it’s not showing and it took me ages to see it’s actually been reg flagged. 

5 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I didn’t hear any mention of a red flag incident on TT plus, all the focus was on the podium/top ten,  It’s only as I’ve gone to check in to see the build up for the sidecars that it’s not showing and it took me ages to see it’s actually been reg flagged. 

They don't want you to see it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

19 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

They don't want you to see it. 

I think you're right.

I'm in the UK and I'm listening to Manx Radio.  After the first race today I missed that there'd been a red flag towards the end.  I came back to the radio about an hour ago and learned that there'd been a red flag and that they expected to hand back to the grandstand at 12:45.  (I also learned that the roads would be closed until 11pm tonight and that Michael Dunlop had "broken a new lap record" - but let's skip over that.)

Then all you get is "there have been no more updates from the grandstand" and no indication at all of what is happening.

I don't particularly blame MR for that, but surely the organisers can be a bit more forthcoming - even if just to say that there will be a further update at such and such a time?  (Say every 15 or 30 minutes).  Even if it's just to say.  "No further news at this time.  There will be a further update at..." ).

I also see that the official(?) schedule here still hasn't been updated even though it's clearly been superseded by events.

Isle of Man TT Races© - 2022 Schedule (iomttraces.com)

Edited by Ghost Ship

1 hour ago, Chie said:

Is it me or does the 4G signal just die when the racing starts. Every time there’s a race my 4G speed just struggles.

It’s not you. When it was 3G the phone network during TT would meltdown due to the number of users and demand. We have the same issues with 4G as with 3G. Unlike the UK networks I can’t see 5G coming here for a long long time by which stage there will be better technology.

5 hours ago, quilp said:

Treasury minister insists that we must gear-up and expand the TT so it "benefits local businesses and visitors." That will mean further financial investment, widening the scope of appeal...

Allinson seems to think that more money and more people - particularly more money - solves every problem. Maybe.

If the TT ends abruptly it will be for one of two reasons:
1. An accident involving spectators
2. Public opinion

Spectators have been moved from a single row of people on roadside banks to grandstands close to the track. If a bike lifts off and goes into a crowded grandstand, the TT will be over.

Some people want to change the TT to be more like the Monaco GP - where the glamour and celebrities and ostentatious wealth are important to the event. But if there was one or more fatalities in each Monaco GP it would be shut down - not least of all because that type of person would not want to be associated with it. You might get more people into the executive lounges here at the TT, but are they the kind of people who want to hear of the latest fatality whilst sipping glasses of champagne.
There will inevitably be more coverage in the national newspapers. If the  FaceBookers and Twitterers go onto full throttle about the fatalities,  the gov. will not be able to shut down the entire social media.

I think it would have been better to keep the TT low-key, mainly for visitors

This is probably a really stupid question (too early in the week for me) but what does the column headed "Time" mean in the race results?

Looking at Supersport Race 1, Michael Dunlop has won in 53:31.593, Dean Harrison second in 53:37.571 etc etc.

But from position 30 to 31 the time decreases from 58:52.582 to 38:54.197, and all the lower positions range from 38 minutes up to 41 minutes for position 49.

What is that meant to be telling me?  At first I thought it must be riders who haven't completed the full three laps, but that wouldn't explain why the times are increasing as you go lower down the finishing positions, and wouldn't explain why some of them are getting replicas...

(It's not a typo is it?)

17 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

This is probably a really stupid question (too early in the week for me) but what does the column headed "Time" mean in the race results?

The red flag meant that some riders didn't complete three laps. The race time credited to them is for completed laps only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1