TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

I don't know why they can't just say: "There's been a racing incident.  A rider/riders have been taken to hospital."  Or even "There's been a racing incident.  A rider has died"  (As long as they don't say that a rider has "passed away").

I can understand that if somebody has been killed that they don't want to identify the rider before family has been informed, but what is the point of withholding information that a rider has been injured or been killed?  You can state that fact without identifying them.

Not doing so just encourages ill-founded speculation. It probably does more harm than good in that it reinforces the idea that the organisers don't want to accept that the TT is very dangerous and it is almost ineveitable that each year at least a couple of riders will end up being killed.

Edit: Even looking at the what I presume is the official TT website now, there is nothing to indicate that anything has happened, or a denial that anything has happened.

i sort of agree, but i'd stick with racing incident rider taken to hospital and downgrade it to died once NOK have been informed.   sort of like the helicopter crash at kates ? a few years back when the pilot was definitely dead but the police put out that they were talking to the pilot,  it gives families false hope, but at the same time they don't officially learn of the fatality over social media,  i don't think there's a right choice really, 

45 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I won't mention name. Its all over Facebook anyway

43 minutes ago, Banker said:

Which is disgraceful until official announcement after family informed 

But if somebody has been killed it's an inevitable consequence of it happening at a public sporting event that the news is going to leak out through social media.  It's going to happen.

All the more reason to announce officially what has happened sooner rather than later - without necessarily identifying any particular rider.

Just say "A rider was killed during the XXX race earler today", don't make it look like you are trying to avoid something you'd prefer to ignore.

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

i sort of agree, but i'd stick with racing incident rider taken to hospital and downgrade it to died once NOK have been informed.   sort of like the helicopter crash at kates ? a few years back when the pilot was definitely dead but the police put out that they were talking to the pilot,  it gives families false hope, but at the same time they don't officially learn of the fatality over social media,  i don't think there's a right choice really, 

I'm unaware of that, but if it is true that that happened then it was wholly unacceptable behaviour by the police... 

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Oh dear I was hoping it was just a minor incident with an oil spill 😪.

Well I don't know because I don't do Twatter or Faceache.

All the more reason to announce it (whether it's good news or bad news) officially and in a timely manner.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Well I don't know because I don't do Twatter or Faceache.

All the more reason to announce it (whether it's good news or bad news) officially and in a timely manner.

I don't think you are cut out for this sort of thing.

Advising the authorities how you think they should do stuff.

• Sad 1

They're quick enough to announce a new lap speed record.

They should be equally quick to announce that news that they are less comfortable with - but which is apparently just as much a part of the TT.

They shouldn't make it look like it's embarrassing news they'd rather ignore.

• Like 1

I think we need to accept that the TT has for some time, but increasingly so, been hijacked by the money suits and their cravenly obedient politicians and civil servants and all in the name of the bottom line and "Island revenue". Which is what it's all about, remember the "5% Man"? Most of these will never have thrown a leg over a motorcycle either because that's not what they're interested in.

To be fair, in the case of fatalities there needs to be time to gather and collate the facts before any press releases but additionally fatalities are an inconvenience that may impact on the success of the event and its revenue stream. Therefore they need to be handled carefully in this respect and this also takes time.

The true enthusiasts who had always run the event have been ousted or told to toe the line with the marshals situation (and also the MGP) being salutary examples.

The riders are just pawns in the game now. I have been a lifelong TT fan but the event has sold its soul to the vultures and their hangers-on IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Dave Moffitt still "fighting for his life" after crashing last week. There is a link in the link for TT fans to donate to as the family require assistance with travel, accommodation between here and Liverpool. Awful situation for them to be in. Life-changing not just for Dave...

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fundraiser-launched-for-moffitt-family/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Dave Moffitt still "fighting for his life" after crashing last week. There is a link in the link for TT fans to donate to as the family require assistance with travel, accommodation between here and Liverpool. Awful situation for them to be in. Life-changing not just for Dave...

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fundraiser-launched-for-moffitt-family/

Would IOMG help with expenses for travel etc? I thought they help ex TT/MGP Riders. Especially Manx. 

20 minutes ago, quilp said:

You’d expect that the wonderful taxpayers underwriting this event would also be helping his wife and family out with expenses. If that’s not happening then it’s a disgrace. Would the Head of Motorsport care to comment? 

• Like 1