TT 2022 ??

Barlow

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

If it’s proven they prevent injuries then yes they absolutely should be mandatory, is there anyone not wearing one for a slight weight advantage?, we keep being told every kilo counts but safety shouldn’t be scrimped on.

Could bikes also be fitted with some sort of kill switch/tilt switch that if it’s involved in a big smash it automatically signals to race control?, something GPS/telematics based like a black box?

Whether it's proven they prevent injuries or not is difficult. Motorcycle crashes are frequently odd. Expected outcomes from the mechanism of injury often don't play out - in both directions. You can have a horrific mechanism and be fine, or what appears to be a relatively benign crash and die. But yes they should probably be mandatory. Doubt anyone is scrimping on them for the sake of a kilo, maybe for the sake of a grand though.

Accelerometer would do it for alerting an impact. Airbag suits already use a variety of metrics to inflate as early in a crash as possible. Don't see why there's a reason bikes transponders couldn't have something to communicate with race control.

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

So again a list of activities that can be participated in, with conditions on your participation. Like... I dunno, a race with restrictions on entries and required equipment. These are not the same as blanket banning the activity. People are allowed to fly planes. People are allowed to watch YouTube. People are allowed to drive cars. You're allowed to be a very silly sausages.

And they were answers to your question  “At what point do we restrict people's behaviour for safety reasons? And not just in relation to the TT, either...” 

Pay attention to the world around you. Lots, if not most of our behaviour is restricted for safety reasons. It’s not an unusual thing to do. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Sausages said:

And they were answers to your question  “At what point do we restrict people's behaviour for safety reasons? And not just in relation to the TT, either...” 

Pay attention to the world around you. Lots, if not most of our behaviour is restricted for safety reasons. It’s not an unusual thing to do. 

But in most of those cases, the thing itself isn't banned. There are rules on how/where/when you can do it.

We obviously have a tolerance for some level of risk, particularly when it's personal risk. If we didn't, smoking and drinking would be illegal. McDonald's wouldn't let you in more than once a week. And other such daft comparisons. I don't see why the TT should be different.

Just now, HeliX said:

But in most of those cases, the thing itself isn't banned. There are rules on how/where/when you can do it.

We obviously have a tolerance for some level of risk, particularly when it's personal risk. If we didn't, smoking and drinking would be illegal. McDonald's wouldn't let you in more than once a week. And other such daft comparisons. I don't see why the TT should be different.

Show me one example of somebody saying motorbike racing should be banned.

Helix, you have posted so sensibly on subjects such as , mental awareness, teaching, social responsibility for those less fortunate and here you are ashewing your previous balanced view with a defense of your  stance no matter what??? Enter the debate, do not follow your predetermined stance with some of your, frankly, pre determined responses.

You are better than that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Don't see why there's a reason bikes transponders couldn't have something to communicate with race control.

I think it needs something, just to try and prevent riders entering a crash scene, the quicker they know about an incident, the less likely that is. To use todays incident that left an oil spill as an example, it will take Marshals a minimum of 30 seconds to react to that, that could be as many as 6 riders going through.

Direct communication between team and riders like F1 might work, but I just can’t imagine someone in my ear at 180mph in a road race not knowing what section you’d be on, unless that’s where the telematics would come in, only contacting the riders that are directly affected by it.

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Helix, you have posted so sensibly on subjects such as , mental awareness, teaching, social responsibility for those less fortunate and here you are ashewing your previous balanced view with a defense of your  stance no matter what??? Enter the debate, do not follow your predetermined stance with some of your, frankly, pre determined responses.

You are better than that?

I have been debating. You just don't like the side I'm on this time.

EDIT: And I resent being accused of posting sensibly.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I have been debating. You just don't like the side I'm on this time.

EDIT: And I resent being accused of posting sensibly.

But is it the side you are on, or, the side you have  chosen to be on???.... and no matter what counter argument is thrust into your face , you are gining to stick to yopur chosen response to all and sundry?

Surely you cannot  condone the deaths with any of your pro-TT arguments no matter the utterences of those who take part? There are times when we, as a society, have to protect others from the harm that they may do theirselves???

Just now, Kopek said:

But is it the side you are on, or, the side you have  chosen to be on???.... and no matter what counter argument is thrust into your face , you are gining to stick to yopur chosen response to all and sundry?

Surely you cannot  condone the deaths with any of your pro-TT arguments no matter the utterences of those who take part? There are times when we, as a society, have to protect others from the harm that they may do theirselves???

It's the side I'm always on - that of supporting personal freedoms. I support people's freedom to engage in dangerous activities, if that's what makes life enjoyable for them.

What do you mean by "condone" the deaths? I think any death is sad. But I don't think that's a reason to stop the TT. It's certainly a reason to attempt to make it safer. But in terms of harm done to people and communities, I'd probably sooner see drinking stopped than the TT. And I don't want drinking stopped either.

• Thanks 3