TT 2022 ??

Barlow

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

You 'condone' the deaths by supporting the continuance of the races in the surety of what will follow?

If that's the metric you want to use for condone, then yes. Though I'd like to reduce them with safety measures/changes to the classes.

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

Helix, you have posted so sensibly on subjects such as , mental awareness, teaching, social responsibility for those less fortunate and here you are ashewing your previous balanced view with a defense of your  stance no matter what??? Enter the debate, do not follow your predetermined stance with some of your, frankly, pre determined responses.

You are better than that?

Agree there - it’s hard to see how someone so throughly woke supports the continuation of people being allowed to smash themselves into walls at 150mph. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

If for some unusual reason it turned out to be wrong, that needn't be a blocker for improving safety by using slower bikes - just set them off at bigger intervals. Already lowered the number of starters, so it wouldn't take up more time.

F1 seems to manage to maintain its draw despite cars being made intentionally slower - as long as the racing is close. Which it should be if slower bikes were used. It could still lose some appeal from a spectacle POV but I'm willing to take that risk.

somebody crashes in F1 almost every race though, but  they do tend  to survive intact with bruises and a concussion. 

5 hours ago, Kopek said:

You 'condone' the deaths by supporting the continuance of the races in the surety of what will follow?

nobody dies unless a mistake has been made , people will always make mistakes no matter what they are doing,  they don't always get away with their mistakes or the mistakes of others,   

According to todays Examiner there will be no Mad Sunday as such and Senior Race Day will be on the following Day (Saturday). Presumably it’s to try and beat the weather and allow more practice time  and to start the racing on Mad Sunday or to squeeze more money into the event and economy. I bet this won’t go down well and people will be unhappy at losing the Senior Race Day off. 

Edited by 2112

6 hours ago, HeliX said:

It's the side I'm always on - that of supporting personal freedoms. I support people's freedom to engage in dangerous activities, if that's what makes life enjoyable for them.

So you would support people being able to settle arguments by duelling, legalising the most addictful and harmful drugs, legalising the mass ownership of guns, including automatic weapons, 

I am generally in favour of personal freedoms but it is not unlimited and I accept that it reasonable to put limits in place on certain activities or that Government should not assist or promote some activities which legal are potentially harmful. This is especially the case where the public are left picking up the tab when things go wrong, e.g. medical care or are otherwise negatively impacted e.g. cancellation & delays in treatment at Nobles whilst the hospital gears up to handle crashes etc.

I agree with personal freedom but I think that it is balanced by personal responsibility

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

nobody dies unless a mistake has been made , people will always make mistakes no matter what they are doing,  they don't always get away with their mistakes or the mistakes of others,   

So a rabbit or hare runs out of a field and goes under the front wheel causing a fatal crash. Where is the "mistake"? Accidents can occur without there being a mistake. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

Do any of those things prevent someone from engaging in an activity, or do they just make the activity safer? Answer on a postcard...

Did not running the TT the last two years prevent anybody from riding their motorbike or entering a race elsewhere which are the activities? Not that I am aware of. I have not seen anybody calling for the banning or curtailing of the activity, riding a motorbike, just an event, the TT.  

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

But in most of those cases, the thing itself isn't banned. There are rules on how/where/when you can do it.

We obviously have a tolerance for some level of risk, particularly when it's personal risk. If we didn't, smoking and drinking would be illegal. McDonald's wouldn't let you in more than once a week. And other such daft comparisons. I don't see why the TT should be different.

The "thing" itself may not be banned but Governments, especially the UK, IoM, Ireland don't generally seek to promote or encourage activities whish are deemed potentially harmful. There are campaigns in respect of stopping smoking and drinking. They are highly taxed to discourage. There are campaigns in respect of healthy eating.

I am banned from crossing the road when the roads are closed for the TT. Should I not allowed to assess the risk and cross when I want? Similarly should spectators be allowed to watch from any point. It seems slightly hypocritical to me to argue in favour of the TT on the grounds of freedom of choice then insist that for it to go ahead the rest of us should have our freedoms restricted to enable it to go ahead more safely. 

Edited by Lost Login

The third fatality was on BBC news this morning. After 2 years off, it does seem very stark, especially in the light of new safety plans and systems. For example, All the digital red flag seems to be is an arse covering exercise for the Tower. 

The world is looking in on this.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

So a rabbit or hare runs out of a field and goes under the front wheel causing a fatal crash. Where is the "mistake"? Accidents can occur without there being a mistake. 

that's just nature , same as if a tree fell down. horses or hares are not up the stats list like pilot error.

19 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The third fatality was on BBC news this morning. After 2 years off, it does seem very stark, especially in the light of new safety plans and systems. For example, All the digital red flag seems to be is an arse covering exercise for the Tower. 

You'll just get shot down by the Pro-TT Manx Crabs!

31 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10891085/Isle-Man-TT-races-Davy-Morgan-52-dies-following-accident-final-lap.html

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

55 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You'll just get shot down by the Pro-TT Manx Crabs!

There are none so blind as those who will not see.