TT 2022 ??

Barlow

5 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

My argument you may view as ridiculous 

It is funny though. It makes you sound like a Manx Radio TT commentator sometimes when he is speaking to his mates in the paddock. And telling them "not to swear we're on air" which is just egging them on to be a bit naughty.

7 minutes ago, AOR said:

There's no need to quantify it ie: a "little" tax in return. Your stance on the TT is clear enough.

It's more about getting money into the economy. So without wanting to sound patronising, for example a Homestay takes a £1000 and pays actually zero tax. But whatever they purchase with that money, the selling business will pay tax on that income, and whatever the business then purchases will pay tax, and so on.

The direct tax raised during TT is probably quite quantifiable with such as VAT returns etc but that figure is only part of the picture.

Not if they spend it in the UK, Europe, Rest of world or online.

Its pretty much impossible to estimate the value of the TT. It seems to be a subjective view.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You are still making arguments to the absurd. Everything that goes on around you has some impact on your life. Again, very clearly, the impact we're discussing re: the TT is injuries/death. You made a good argument about this in terms of hospital appointments. Not sure why you're now trying to make a rubbish one instead.

"it is the logical extension of your argument that the TT should not be cancelled because that would be interfering with individual's freedom of choice"

It's ridiculous because you've simplified my argument, based on a glib comment I made about being "woke", and continue to use that as the canon version of my argument instead of listening when I clarify. Presumably because that makes it easier to construct bad arguments against it.

I gave the extreme example I did as you continually stated that it was purely a matter of the riders personal choice , that you were against interfering with individual's freedom of choice and that they should be able to do what they wanted as the riders affected nobody else. I purely took the logic of your position and inserted an example which demonstrated the absurdity of your argument.

There may be reasons for the TT but that the state should not interfere at all with a persons freedom to do what they want, which appears to be your main argument, is not, in my opinion, one of them. 

2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I gave the extreme example I did as you continually stated that it was purely a matter of the riders personal choice , that you were against interfering with individual's freedom of choice and that they should be able to do what they wanted as the riders affected nobody else. I purely took the logic of your position and inserted an example which demonstrated the absurdity of your argument.

There may be reasons for the TT but that the state should not interfere at all with a persons freedom to do what they want, which appears to be your main argument, is not, in my opinion, one of them. 

I didn't continually state it, I repeatedly clarified that the comment was contextual, but you would still rather remove the context and cherry pick one line.

Would you like to know why in the original comment I didn't include anything about affecting other people? It was because I didn't want some gammon to come along and tell me how badly a few trans people in America are affecting their life in the UK.

If you wish to continue objecting to an incomplete version of my argument, deliberately (because at this point I've clarified it three or four times yet you continue to completely ignore the clarifications and context), you can crack on. But I won't be participating. It's enough of an effort engaging when someone is willing to debate your argument in good faith, never mind when they're not.

I have friends of mine from around the world watching the TT highlights on TV/Youtube and messaging me on our Whatsapp group asking is my house free for a load of them to come over next year and watch it. Whilst they knew about the TT I don't think most really appreciate what it's about, unless you actively go and seek it.

I think in a post-COVID world many people are now looking to tick things off the bucket list or try new experiences. I'd like to think the TT can have a kind of a renaissance if the government and all parties surrounding it can market it the right way moving forwards.

One of the first things they need to do it work on the shocking state of the travel to and from the island first.  

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Would you like to know why in the original comment I didn't include anything about affecting other people? It was because I didn't want some gammon to come along and tell me how badly a few trans people in America are affecting their life in the UK.

I think you need to go and lie down in a dark room with a wet flannel for a whilst or pop your pills if in a discussion about the TT you are having to resort to references to gammon, trans people in the USA.

2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I think you need to go and lie down in a dark room with a wet flannel for a whilst or pop your pills if in a discussion about the TT you are having to resort to references to gammon, trans people in the USA.

It was in a response to a comment about being woke. But I appreciate the lecture on indicators of needing a lie down in a discussion from someone talking about wanking at children in relation to the TT.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The Isle of Man TT is the last bastion & flag bearer of global anti-wokeism.

It is simply f****** brilliant, breath taking, awe inspiring & more. Truly unique and the greatest free show on earth. 

You've made Helix cry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It was in a response to a comment about being woke. But I appreciate the lecture on indicators of needing a lie down in a discussion from someone talking about wanking at children in relation to the TT.

I never made a reference to woke I also did not talk about "wanking at children". My reference was to being observed by. However I am not the one who apparently does not believe that out freedoms should not be curtailed which would mean such actions, which I would find abhorrent, are acceptable. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lost Login said:

I never made a reference to woke I also did not talk about "wanking at children". My reference was to being observed by. However I am not the one who apparently does not believe that out freedoms should not be curtailed which would mean such actions, which I would find abhorrent, are acceptable. 

I didn't accuse you of making a reference to being woke. My comment that you responded to initially was. Still refusing to talk about my actual argument rather than your strawman though eh.

38 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

The eternal argument year after year. A lot of good points are being made, but as I said two weeks ago in another thread, you either get it or you don’t. It’s not something that can be explained. It’s either in you or it isn’t and neither the twain shall meet.

Is it ‘gladiatorial’?  I think not. People do it because they love it. No one forces them to do it. It’s in their blood. 

Do I like that it’s ‘sponsored’ by government? No. Do I like to hear of dark and accidents? No. Do I like that our medics and police are caught up in the aftermath? No. But, it’s a unique event. It’s one of its kind and riders are still queuing up to take part while fully accepting the risks. Many people don’t get it and never will. The arguments are futile.

One day it may very possibly be over but for now we are the road racing capital of the world. We do something no one else does and hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world are tuning in to follow it. 

The views here are polarised - and they don’t reflect the passion there is out there for the TT. Not in the slightest. 

My view is not polarised. Like many people I am torn, I love it, but question it. Every time there is a death I love it a little bit less.

The problem is for me, not that there are occasional deaths, that's an inevitable given the nature of the sport, but that it seems to becoming more the norm and we never change it. No other activity would get away with this. 

I don't know if statistically deaths are becoming more often or whether the situation is static.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

My view is not polarised. Like many people I am torn, I love it, but question it. Every time there is a death I love it a little bit less.

The problem is for me, not that there are occasional deaths, that's an inevitable given the nature of the sport, but that it seems to becoming more the norm and we never change it. No other activity would get away with this. 

I don't know if statistically deaths are becoming more often or whether the situation is static.

Seems to be getting worse

800px-Snaefell_Mountain_Course_competitor_fatalities_by_year.svg.png