TT 2022 ??

Barlow

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

My view is not polarised. Like many people I am torn, I love it, but question it. Every time there is a death I love it a little bit less.

The problem is for me, not that there are occasional deaths, that's an inevitable given the nature of the sport, but that it seems to becoming more the norm and we never change it. No other activity would get away with this. 

I don't know if statistically deaths are becoming more often or whether the situation is static.

I totally understand that. Parts of it I love but I cannot support an event where competitors are expected to die or end up with life changing injuries. I struggle to think of any other event where post the event, race or practice it is a matter of routine to ask or be asked did anybody die and debate the number of fatalities. It is the fact that death and life changing injuries are simply treated as being routine and part of the event that makes it different.

I also cannot really comprehend the phrase "they know the risks". I believe, possibly incorrectly, like most activities where there may be an element of risk most believe it will not happen to them for whatever reason. I am being careful, I don't push it etc. When I see appeals to support bereaved families or riders who are badly injured and their families i just think if they truly knew the risks and believed they applied to them then they would make suitable arrangements for them and their families in the event of a serious accident

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Not really.  The types of business that have to close just spread their work over the rest of the year.

That may apply to some, but lawyers, accountants, fiduciaries etc charge for time lose a day of chargeable time.

28 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I didn't accuse you of making a reference to being woke. My comment that you responded to initially was. Still refusing to talk about my actual argument rather than your strawman though eh.

I have countered your argument which was as I understood it, in the main, about freedom of choice for the riders to be able to do what they choose. I don't believe that freedom of choice is all encompassing and gave you an extreme example of why.

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Lots of people drive on the roads safely every day yet still end up in hospital or the morgue. 

When the circumstances of the death of the sidecar passenger especially are reported on, and they will be at some stage, the publicity is not going to look good for the IOM regardless of the sort of views you express. 

1 minute ago, Lost Login said:

I have countered your argument which was as I understood it, in the main, about freedom of choice for the riders to be able to do what they choose. I don't believe that freedom of choice is all encompassing and gave you an extreme example of why.

I don't think you're daft, so I find it pretty difficult to believe that you think that that's what my argument is in good faith, after all of this...

UtPbK81.png

UhoPbRf.png

cUibs7l.png

mRkcm9i.png

xkhAYTb.png

I could be unkind and go through all the bits where I clarified the argument to someone else too, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't read those.

I said I wasn't going to continue to participate in this if you continued to deliberately mischaracterise my argument, and now look what you've made me do.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't think you're daft, so I find it pretty difficult to believe that you think that that's what my argument is in good faith, after all of this...

UtPbK81.png

UhoPbRf.png

cUibs7l.png

mRkcm9i.png

xkhAYTb.png

I could be unkind and go through all the bits where I clarified the argument to someone else too, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't read those.

I said I wasn't going to continue to participate in this if you continued to deliberately mischaracterise my argument, and now look what you've made me do.

Maybe you and @Lost Logincould get a room. I like your observations but not your bickering 

17 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

When the circumstances of the death of the sidecar passenger especially are reported on, and they will be at some stage, the publicity is not going to look good for the IOM regardless of the sort of views you express. 

'The views I express.'?

I'm not necessarily a TT fan. I just don't believe we should ban everything we don't agree with. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

That may apply to some, but lawyers, accountants, fiduciaries etc charge for time lose a day of chargeable time.

Long may it continue 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

'The views I express.'?

I'm not necessarily a TT fan. I just don't believe we should ban everything we don't agree with. 

Where have I said it should be banned. I said that when the full circumstances of his death are reported then it will be dreadful publicity for the IOM whether you believe in people having the freedom to potentially kill themselves or not. 

1 minute ago, Newsdesk said:

Where have I said it should be banned. I said that when the full circumstances of his death are reported then it will be dreadful publicity for the IOM whether you believe in people having the freedom to potentially kill themselves or not. 

The usual NPM and IOM Newspapers won't report it when the inquest takes place. They just seem to go quiet and don't want to rock the boat. 

• Like 1

Just now, 0bserver said:

The usual NPM and IOM Newspapers won't report it when the inquest takes place. They just seem to go quiet and don't want to rock the boat. 

The inquest will be reported somewhere though out of public interest and it will likely be the UK or European (ie, French) motorcycle press that will pick it up. It will certainly silence a lot of those ‘well they wanted to go out that way’ brigade as absolutely nobody wants to go out like that. 

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

The Isle of Man TT is the last bastion & flag bearer of global anti-wokeism.

It is simply f****** brilliant, breath taking, awe inspiring & more. Truly unique and the greatest free show on earth. 

Wait till the next dead competitor is a LGBQVXYZ, lesbian dwarf half yellow half black, gay, gender fluid, them/us helix head is going to explode. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Highlight away but again, as I read your argument, you are basically in favour of anybody having the freedom to do whatever they want provided it does not affect/involve others. I disagree at the extreme as, in my view rightly, society prevents certain actions to protect people from themselves. 

Specifically in respect of the TT though this this is not an event that does not involve others. It affects virtually the whole population of the IoM. It is also a high risk event promoted and hosted by a Govt to make money which makes it pretty unique as generally the states role is to discourage rather than encourage activities where there is deemed to be a reasonably high health risk.

I am not against people undertaking high risk activities if they want to do privately with minimal involvement of others. Go free rock climbing, race motorcycles, base jump etc if you want but to me there is a difference between doing it privately and the state encouraging/sponsoring. I think free diving competitions are nuts. I really struggle to see that encouraging participants to get close to asphyxiating themselves during a competition is a good idea. Free diving as an activity fine but I do question  the morality of allowing competitions and I would be totally against the idea of a Government organising a competition in the name of tourism if it left competitors dead or in a vegetable state.