TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

The inquest will be reported somewhere though out of public interest and it will likely be the UK or European (ie, French) motorcycle press that will pick it up. It will certainly silence a lot of those ‘well they wanted to go out that way’ brigade as absolutely nobody wants to go out like that. 

Go out like what? Why are you sensationalising someone's unfortunate death. When someone dies of accidental death, especially on/in a motor vehicle, the circumstances are never pleasant. There isn't a sliding scale of ways to go.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There won’t be a legacy lap day, it will be a race day. There won’t be a senior race day, therefore no bank holiday, just a Saturday. I’m sure the people of Peel will be up in arms, as they may lose Peel Day, also those in the south may be unhappy as if there is the senior race on Saturday, where does the Post TT meeting fit in, on the Southern 100 course? 

I don't have a copy of the Examiner, is this for next year or something? We already had the legacy lap 2 days ago.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't have a copy of the Examiner, is this for next year or something? We already had the legacy lap 2 days ago.

Peel Day was packed too, albeit spoiled by the weather mid afternoon.

Or did I imagine that?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Highlight away but again, as I read your argument, you are basically in favour of anybody having the freedom to do whatever they want provided it does not affect/involve others. I disagree at the extreme as, in my view rightly, society prevents certain actions to protect people from themselves. 

Specifically in respect of the TT though this this is not an event that does not involve others. It affects virtually the whole population of the IoM. It is also a high risk event promoted and hosted by a Govt to make money which makes it pretty unique as generally the states role is to discourage rather than encourage activities where there is deemed to be a reasonably high health risk.

I am not against people undertaking high risk activities if they want to do privately with minimal involvement of others. Go free rock climbing, race motorcycles, base jump etc if you want but to me there is a difference between doing it privately and the state encouraging/sponsoring. I think free diving competitions are nuts. I really struggle to see that encouraging participants to get close to asphyxiating themselves during a competition is a good idea. Free diving as an activity fine but I do question  the morality of allowing competitions and I would be totally against the idea of a Government organising a competition in the name of tourism if it left competitors dead or in a vegetable state.  

"as I read your argument, you are basically in favour of anybody having the freedom to do whatever they want provided it does not affect/involve others."

Yes, pretty much. So long as there are also safety nets when it comes to things like drugs/alcohol.

"I disagree at the extreme as, in my view rightly, society prevents certain actions to protect people from themselves."

That's fine. I respect that opinion, but I don't agree with it.

"Specifically in respect of the TT though this this is not an event that does not involve others. It affects virtually the whole population of the IoM."

Quite a different type of affecting though.

"It is also a high risk event promoted and hosted by a Govt to make money which makes it pretty unique as generally the states role is to discourage rather than encourage activities where there is deemed to be a reasonably high health risk."

It can only run with significant Govt involvement. Also I like nationalisation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Generally the two Manx public holidays replace a couple of UK holidays. If employers choose to give them all as a bonus, that's their choice.

I don't that is correct.  I am not aware of any professional firm who give you the Manx holidays and take back a couple of UK days. Some may require you to work one or both but generally you get another day in lieu. 

2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I don't that is correct.  I am not aware of any professional firm who give you the Manx holidays and take back a couple of UK days. Some may require you to work one or both but generally you get another day in lieu. 

Yes, but that is a choice the employer makes. They may seem pressured into it but we don't observe a couple of the UK holidays.

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There won’t be a legacy lap day, it will be a race day. There won’t be a senior race day, therefore no bank holiday, just a Saturday. I’m sure the people of Peel will be up in arms, as they may lose Peel Day, also those in the south may be unhappy as if there is the senior race on Saturday, where does the Post TT meeting fit in, on the Southern 100 course? 

It seems that the peak visitor time and demand on bed space is for the Saturday and Monday racing at present. 

The idea is to have two peaks in the racing whilst giving a couple of days for one batch of visitors to leave and the other to arrive.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"as I read your argument, you are basically in favour of anybody having the freedom to do whatever they want provided it does not affect/involve others."

Yes, pretty much. So long as there are also safety nets when it comes to things like drugs/alcohol.

"I disagree at the extreme as, in my view rightly, society prevents certain actions to protect people from themselves."

That's fine. I respect that opinion, but I don't agree with it.

"Specifically in respect of the TT though this this is not an event that does not involve others. It affects virtually the whole population of the IoM."

Quite a different type of affecting though.

"It is also a high risk event promoted and hosted by a Govt to make money which makes it pretty unique as generally the states role is to discourage rather than encourage activities where there is deemed to be a reasonably high health risk."

It can only run with significant Govt involvement. Also I like nationalisation.

So you are not in favour of people having their freedom to do something restricted as long as it does not affect others but your definition others is restricted to those participating in the event.    

13 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

When someone dies of accidental death, especially on/in a motor vehicle, the circumstances are never pleasant. There isn't a sliding scale of ways to go.  

I don’t think that one needs sensationalising to be honest. Even the witnesses have been offered counselling. 

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, but that is a choice the employer makes. They may seem pressured into it but we don't observe a couple of the UK holidays.

But as I said I think that applies to very few firms. I would be interested to learn if that was not the case.

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Which ones? The Scots have 2nd January which we don't observe but that's it I think?

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Which ones? The Scots have 2nd January which we don't observe but that's it I think?

Scots also don't have one of the May ones possibly? And do they have St. Andrew's day too?

There are 8 'English' bank holidays which I would imagine IOM firms align to. Myself (and friends who work elsewhere) either get to take Senior & Tynwald on the day, or in lieu elsewhere if they are needed in work. I do know a few firms who do not recognise 'local' bank hols at all.