TT 2022 ??

Barlow

15 minutes ago, HeliX said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mental faculties

Definition of mental faculties

: ability to think clearly

Seems to be what you're accusing them of not doing, no?

I'm not "accusing" anybody of anything.

I'm putting forward a suggestion that it's just possible that when the relatives of riders who have been killed in the TT say that their loved one "died doing what they loved" or that they have no hard feelings at all against the event or its organisers, that it's just possible that they might be subconsciouly misleading both themselves and their audience.

I understand that "denial" of uncomfortable or unpleasant realities is quite a well recognised psychological phenomenon.  I don't think it necessarily indicates any problem with a person's "mental faculties" or in their mental functioning.

Some people do things all the time - both consciously and subconsciously - that make little sense if you analyse them.  Some people hold all manner of irrational beliefs.  None of these things necessarily affects their ability to think clearly, or their other mental faculties.  And neither is it necessarily a criticism of those people.  It's just what people do.

I think all that is perfectly possible.  You apparently believe it is not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I'm not "accusing" anybody of anything.

I'm putting forward a suggestion that it's just possible that when the relatives of riders who have been killed in the TT say that their loved one "died doing what they loved" or that they have no hard feelings at all against the event or its organisers, that it's just possible that they might be subconsciouly misleading both themselves and their audience.

I understand that "denial" of uncomfortable or unpleasant realities is quite a well recognised psychological phenomenon.  I don't think it necessarily indicates any problem with a person's "mental faculties" or in their mental functioning.

Some people do things all the time - both consciously and subconsciously - that make little sense if you analyse them.  Some people hold all manner of irrational beliefs.  None of these things necessarily affects their ability to think clearly, or their other mental faculties.  And neither is it necessarily a criticism of those people.  It's just what people do.

I think all that is perfectly possible.  You apparently believe it is not.

I haven't said it's not possible. I'm saying acting like it's the only reasonable conclusion because you can't see another one is short-sighted. And speculating on it in the cases of named persons is pretty disrespectful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

I haven't said it's not possible. I'm saying acting like it's the only reasonable conclusion because you can't see another one is short-sighted. And speculating on it in the cases of named persons is pretty disrespectful.

Did I say that it was the only reasonable conclusion?

And what named person have I speculated about?

Edited by Ghost Ship

2 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Did I say that it was the only reasonable conclusion?

And what named person have I speculated about?

You're right, it was others who speculated about named persons. Apologies.

I still think speculating about it is pretty disrespectful though.

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is what I was talking about before about you either 'get it' or you don't.

Dan's dad has never regretted his son racing. He was and is extremely proud of him. To Richard (his dad), his wife and his extend family, Dan is and always will be, a hero, who (yes) died doing something he truly loved.

It's a whole different mindset Judy, that's why you don't get it.  You're looking at it through the eyes of your own values and opinions - road racers are a whole different breed. Interestingly, they get why you feel the way you do - but you will never be able to understand why they feel the way they do.

Nothing personal Roxanne but that's bollocks. Many of us recognise this 'true believer' stuff and the myth-making that goes on around masculine values, heroism, courage, ritual, tribalism, dumbshit morality - all that shite. All of it. It's not exclusive to road racing and T.T. riders. It's been around since ever. You can buy into it if it makes you feel part of something and turns you all misty-eyed, but it's the myth getting in your eyes.

I don't wish to offend you but I'm tired of all this bullshit.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I knew Dan as a lad - nice fella. He'd be in his late thirties now, maybe with kids. I don't know. But I think if I was his dad I'd regret every day that I let him get on a motorbike. I probably couldn't have stopped it but I'd always regret it. He didn't die a hero, he just died, doing something really dangerous, and it was all forseeable.

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Yep 100% agree & same here know the family and network of cousins, nephews- as a family very blinkered to the racing thing.

Unfortunate as it was there was a definitive feeling that he was trying to justify the Big Boy ride too soon.

One thing I’ve never understood is when you have perished hitting a tree is your name commemorated in a cartoon style “splat” sticker 

If you did know Dan or his family you wouldn’t be posting some of the most disrespectful tripe I’ve read in a long time, ask Dans family and they’ll tell you the truth, the vast majority of them don’t beat around the bush and will tell you straight.

My understanding of the story wasn’t that he was ‘trying to justify a big boy ride too soon’ he was still dialling in the bike in practice week, he wasn’t fully happy with the suspension setup but needed to ride to get all the data logged, he felt it could be made good with a bit of tweaking and unfortunately he crashed still in the testing stages. Dan was absolutely ecstatic about the opportunity, he was trying his hardest and unfortunately the rest is history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Perhaps I'm misreading the regulations, but if I understand them correctly, then the "certain level of insurance" could barely be described as sufficient, let alone adequate.

Are the levels of benefit referred to in sections 4.1 and 4.7 the only cover for death or disablement that a rider needs in order to be allowed to compete? 

If so, then the amounts seem wholly inadequate and I'd be inclined to agree with Chinahand that the races are being run with insurance cover that woefully understates the potential true costs of the risks being run.

Am I completely misunderstanding the minimum insurance cover requirement?

(I had wondered if riders might be covered by the ACU's third party public liability insurance, but looking at the ACU Handbook I don't think they are?)

The levels of insurance which riders automatically qualify for on entering an ACU event can be enhanced by purchasing additional units.

other companies provide accident insurance also, in addition to the event insurance. CICA is one I can remember.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

What I'm wondering is - when somebody like @Passing Time talks to the surviving family members of somebody who has died racing at the TT - whether the surviving relatives saying that they hold no grudge against the event is necessarily reliable.

I suppose it's possible that they are expressing their true feelings and that they do hold no grudges against the event.  Or I suppose it is also just possible that they are presenting what I understand is a recognised psychological phenonemon where people, when challenged in their beliefs, display increased conviction in believing something which might appear irrational to others.  Whether you want to call that "mentally compromised" is up to you, but I don't believe it is necessarily "abnormal" behaviour - it's part of the human condition.  It's not a criticism of the family.

Or I suppose a third possibility is that the relatives  already know what @Passing Time believes so they tell him what he wants to hear.  Or they just don't want an argument with him.

I don't know.  Do you?

As you don’t know me, please stop making stupid assumptions. It only makes you appear more stupid than you already do…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

As you don’t know me, please stop making stupid assumptions. It only makes you appear more stupid than you already do…

I'm not making any assumptions about you - stupid or otherwise.

All I know about you is what you've written in your post that I quoted.  The relevant bit being that a couple of your friends have died racing in the TT and that neither family holds a grudge against the event or organisers. 

I'm sure there are lots of people - like you - who know the surviving families of riders who have died at the TT.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

You're right, it was others who speculated about named persons. Apologies.

I still think speculating about it is pretty disrespectful though.

Well, I'm not sure it's disrespectful - and even if it was I'm not sure that that should put it off-limits for discussion.