TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

The levels of insurance which riders automatically qualify for on entering an ACU event can be enhanced by purchasing additional units.

other companies provide accident insurance also, in addition to the event insurance. CICA is one I can remember.

OK - thanks.

I know very little about the TT so l probably don't qualify to comment.  l came to IOM 20 years ago and l remember being really shocked at the amount of deaths during TT, it just appeared to be accepted.  Having just been widowed recently l can only imagine how awful it must be for the family's, as l'm finding my own loss unbearable at a relatively younger age than normal  

I do think we all need to take some responsibility to make this sport safer so it may continue If that is the wish of others.

• Like 5

On 6/6/2022 at 9:56 PM, daisy said:

You do realise that racers dont just race here and they will continue to follow their dream in other locations equally dangerous?

On 6/6/2022 at 10:04 PM, Billy the Kid said:

I don’t wish to get into an argument with anyone but I’m pretty certain there is no other road race as dangerous, and even if there is it is not supported and funded by IOM Government.

On the NPM this morning, there is a report, many visiting TT visitors getting scammed over accommodation. Some are finding non existent accommodation and some are finding it not fit for purpose. I wonder what the politicos are going to do. Obviously Homestay isn’t working. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

On the NPM this morning, there is a report, many visiting TT visitors getting scammed over accommodation. Some are finding non existent accommodation and some are finding it not fit for purpose. I wonder what the politicos are going to do. Obviously Homestay isn’t working. 

Homestay is working, it is that people are not aware of it and how booking with a properly registered property protects them from scammers.  Substandard property that does exist is a different problem. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2112 said:

FFS so you’re blaming the government for people getting scammed now!! It’s nothing to do with homestay it’s a fraud via Airbnb 

• Like 7

Sadly if the TT itself does not survive more than a couple of years or so then all these riders will be forgotten about in 20 or 30 years time, except by the grandparents and great-grandparents who are around at the time. The great car racing names live on because they are not associated with just a single race track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

What you will actually find is that this has been totally overblown by IOM government to try to get more people to register for Homestay as numbers were massively down this year. We have to keep all those spoon counters in jobs! 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RoundTheCourse said:

Sadly if the TT itself does not survive more than a couple of years or so then all these riders will be forgotten about in 20 or 30 years time, except by the grandparents and great-grandparents who are around at the time. The great car racing names live on because they are not associated with just a single race track.

So the best way to remember people killed on the TT course is to keep killing more people on the TT Course. Makes sense. 

Without the help of Google or other sites, can you name everyone killed in the 1996 TT?

Edited by 0bserver
  • Confused 1

My view is that (in its current form at least) the TT is just too dangerous. I understand that thousands of visitors and many on MF will disagree for various reasons and I accept that - for me the ever-increasing power/ speed of the bikes needs to be curtailed before there are even greater numbers of casualties.

What I strongly object to is this government’s enthusiastic involvement in encouraging and promoting the TT to the rest of the world as unique ‘entertainment for masses’. For starters, the government’s involvement creates a confusing impression that it is promoting an event that it knows will inevitably lead to multiple injuries and fatalities. The inconsistency is that this cavalier attitude to the ‘health and safety’ aspects of the TT is so at odds with how they place ‘health and safety’ restrictions on many other aspects of life on the Island. This is the reason why I am particularly disturbed by the exuberant stance taken by Dr Allinson, who is supposed to be highly intelligent man, not to mention his medical background which should (in theory) have given him a very clear understanding of what a solid barrier does to a human being when the human being hits it while travelling at 150mph. Is the dosh that the TT brings to the Island is more important to him, and the rest of the government, than the health and safety of the riders?

FWIW, I believe that if the TT is to continue, going forward it should be privately organised/ managed (including paying for road closures and policing, etc.). The private operator should run it without any specific ‘help’ from IOMG. If the TT is that popular as everybody thinks it is, then it should be able to prosper on its own merit.

• Like 1