TT 2022 ??

Barlow

8 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I think that Newsdesk is clearly in possession of some knowledge of what has actually gone wrong with the identification.

If it’s the same as I’ve heard I would suggest that those slamming the organisers and officials wind their collective necks in to avoid an embarrassing climb down when the full facts come out. 

The outcome remains the same. 

This is a monumental fuck up that is going to have massive backlash on a scale the TT has never seen before. 

5 minutes ago, FlissPaps said:

I've got it on good authority that this 'mistaken identity' incident is going to be high up the national broadcast news this evening, not a good look for the TT, and so much worse for those poor families and friends. 

Yes I said the other day when the circumstances come out it’s not going to look good for the TT audience and for the family even worse. It is easy to understand how it happened though. 

8 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

And yet idiots here continue to speculate as to what a massive cock up it is by organisers and those at the accident scene.

As I said earlier, people should really pipe down until they know the in and outs.

I don't think the criticism is aimed at those at the scene.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The outcome remains the same. 

This is a monumental fuck up that is going to have massive backlash on a scale the TT has never seen before. 

Can things get any worse or lower? Probably, when we least expect it. I thought the Mercer screw up was bad enough. 

22 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

As I said yesterday when the full events finally get reported on you might find that it’s easier to understand how mistaken identity could occur.

Well, we've been waiting a good while for the Mercer incident mistakes to be reported on.  We might be in for a long wait...

• Like 1

Not sure if something happened or they are just over eager today, but security turning away crew who didn’t have a picture on their team pass (many don’t bother and haven’t for the whole last week) is a bit odd. Who else would carry fuel and tyres up there? Also not checking everyone. Seems to be totally random. Ride past on a scooter: no checks. Walk past pulling kit for the bike: get checked. Then get checked again going to park ferme five meters later. Not that they actually check if the person on the picture is the person wearing the pass. Seems more like about a picture being on there. Feels like they got instructions from above on this, and apparently some high up g4s person was even confiscating passes with no pictures on them. 

58179097-AADB-4706-AD1F-65552AC0B741.jpeg

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It really isn’t as simple as that, is it?

The organisers wouldn’t have done the identifying themselves.

You've got a dead body and an unconscious patient. Neither can tell you. They’re in identical racing suits/helmets. They’ve been involved in a high impact crash and an intense fire.

The usual procedure would be a family member, assuming that’s not possible if family were in Italy, then a support team member who knew them. Someone will have given a positive identification.

As for the hospitals, they’ll have been given a name. How can they check? It’s unlikely that either had ever been treated before in IoM or Liverpool.

Its very unfortunate, but you can’t blame either the organisers or the hospitals.

So you don't make an immediate announcement of the name. You say "unfortunately there's been a fatality and we'll announce the name in due course, when families have been informed."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Not sure if something happened or they are just over eager today, but security turning away crew who didn’t have a picture on their team pass (many don’t bother and haven’t for the whole last week) is a bit odd. Who else would carry fuel and tyres up there? Also not checking everyone. Seems to be totally random. Ride past on a scooter: no checks. Walk past pulling kit for the bike: get checked. Then get checked again going to park ferme five meters later. Not that they actually check if the person on the picture is the person wearing the pass. Seems more like about a picture being on there. Feels like they got instructions from above on this, and apparently some high up g4s person was even confiscating passes with no pictures on them. 

who fucking cares. We're killing people here and we don't know who the fuck they are.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Picture of what or whom …………… Rob Callister? Or should the passes be photo id in which case why haven’t the organisers arranged for photos to be taken when ID passes made?

Just now, Declan said:

So you don't make an immediate announcement of the name. You say "unfortunately there's been a fatality and we'll announce the name in due course, when families have been informed."

They seem to have had identity confirmed though. Wrongly. But that’s not the organisers fault. It’d usually be police/coroners officer who would deal with that. It wouldn’t be done at scene, normally.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think you’ll find it is a genuine mistake. There were all sorts of rumours circulating within an hour of the crash up at the grandstand which look like they are true looking at the wording of that statement above. Looks like further information tonight then. I’d guess that it was fairly impossible to accurately establish their identities and so they just got it wrong until the other guy (who was apparently also in a complete mess) came round in hospital or was otherwise identified.

Edited by Bandits

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Unfortunately there’s all the idiots posting names on Facebook before anyone is informed officially, normally there’s a positive ID in the morgue for deaths but maybe injuries were too bad?

15 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

It does make you wonder the state each of the two individuals were in if they could not readily be identified.

I am amazed that competitors do not have to have some form of ID etc on them as seem to be required in other sports which are deemed to be risky. Compete on a horse in a cross country event and it is obligatory to wear an arm band with various details on it including I think blood group. 

They are required to wear ID

image.png.7215a6557ed064a8558b5c0867a520d2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Yes I said the other day when the circumstances come out it’s not going to look good for the TT audience and for the family even worse. It is easy to understand how it happened though. 

That may be the case but this is current news and there is a fair chance it will hit the headlines around the world that they misidentified who died and the majority of people will have the same horrified reaction. They won't be sitting there thinking lets wait until they release the full circumstances before I form a view. In making the announcement they should have given an explanation as to why it happened together with a fulsome apology.