TT 2022 ??

Barlow

11 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

The TT organisation has always struck me as consisting of mainly dogged enthusiatic amateurs, who are seemingly wilfully blind to their perceived organisational inadequacies.  The show must go on, at any cost.  Any cost.        

Except they're not amateurs are they?  Some of these people are being very well paid.

37 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I think you can increase the reliability of identification, but I don't think any of those measures would be absolute guarantees in sidecar crashes with significant fire and trauma.

Jesus fucking christ. How far can this apologist go?

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not the hospitals of course, they can only work with the information they are given and can't release anything extra they discover without the correct authorisation.  But the organisers should have known.  Not just because they set the rules and enforce them to make sure this sort of thing can't happen, but mainly because it's been four days.

You can see how such a thing could arise in the heat of the moment and when treatment is the top priority.  But they've had four days to sort this out and set the record straight.  It's clear they must have known at least some time before, as the families had been informed  last night.  But they must have thought that if they kept quiet it would all go away.  Only the mistaken belief that the Aintree patient had died forced them to react.

And even now the reaction is that everyone must keep quiet until all the facts are known.  While making sure that they never will be.

I respect your postings Roger, but I think you’re wrong. We don’t know, exactly, how the identification error occurred. But it did.

I don’t see a cover up. I see a natural chain of extraordinary events.

TT organisers don’t have a presence at Liverpool hospitals. They have no more right to medical information than the rest of the public, it’s protected by confidentiality and GDPR.

so, accident on Saturday. Move body and injured person appropriately. Preserve and document scene, clean up. Work on restoring road surface. Transfer unconscious person to Liverpool. You get the best person you can to identify. Notify families, direct or via the team ( different language ).

Families then start looking at how to get to IoM and Liverpool.  Not sure where families are based in Italy. They’ve got to book and get to an airport. There’s only one flight Rome - Liverpool daily. A few more to Manchester. Most are Luton and South East.  So, it’s unlikely family arrived Sunday, Monday perhaps, Tuesday more likely.

We don’t know how the error was discovered. Did he gain consciousness, and say “ I’m not X” or did family turn up and say “it’s not X”. If that happened Tuesday the first thing that would be done is the hospital and families sorting out, informing police here,  and confirming ID and telling each other. 

The tweet from family seems to have come around 11pm-midnight Tuesday. I don’t know if the organisers would be on duty then.

Possibly organisers  only became aware this morning. They then really do need to check and confirm before issuing the correcting statement.

Theres huge pressure for everyone to react and publish immediately. Social media ends of with rumour and counter rumour. Perhaps it’s a more haste, less speed situation. 

However, it does appear the Press Office needs a shake up. There are plenty of rumours about what basically happened. An official statement that doesn’t impinge on police/coroner might lance that boil. But it isn’t pleasant, or so I believe. And perhaps, in the event, it’s better it didn’t come before the identity mistake was discovered.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

It seems to me that whatever circumstances created mess, it is going to reflect very badly on the event and the reputation of the Island. Nothing positive can come of it and the families have had to endure a nightmare situation.  Everybody involved should be hanging their heads in shame. Frankly, the TT can’t finish permanently soon enough. It’s simply not worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

According to the NPM this afternoon the 4 cyclists caught on the mountain, when it was closed and no cycling allowed, have been given cautions. So much for taking a hard line and zero tolerance. Don’t upset them too much, as they probably fit our criteria for locate.im. Other acts of stupidity and you get the book thrown or heavily fined (and quite rightly so no excuses), why not in this case?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

According to the NPM this afternoon the 4 cyclists caught on the mountain, when it was closed and no cycling allowed, have been given cautions. So much for taking a hard line and zero tolerance. Don’t upset them too much, as they probably fit our criteria for locate.im. Other acts of stupidity and you get the book thrown or heavily fined (and quite rightly so no excuses), why not in this case?

Double standards. 

42 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

We get you dont like the TT . But for gods sake give it a rest. You've made your point countless times. 

He has, but when posters continually refer to things other than the death or the horrific injuries as being one of the worst things about an incident I think he has a reasonable point. I presume when people stop posting that the worst about somebody being killed or maimed is something a lot more trivial Observer will stop making the same comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lost Login said:

He has, but when posters continually refer to things other than the death or the horrific injuries as being one of the worst things about an incident I think he has a reasonable point. I presume when people stop posting that the worst about somebody being killed or maimed is something a lot more trivial Observer will stop making the same comment.

The deaths can be the worst thing with something else being "one of the worst things". Not sure that's a problem?

• Like 1