TT 2022 ??

Barlow

7 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

So as at the end of today a couple of races will have run at reduced distance and we still have three to run tomorrow.

The issues I see there are that one of not both of the remaining singles races will need to be shortened if not cancelled, and that fans have had a few days where the only singles race has been the super twin.

People have taken time off work and paid fortunes to visit, compete, sponsor etc.

Races could have been run yesterday other than the road closure stipulating  they must open between 5 and 6.  Without that relatively new constraint they could have had the super sport race.

If the roads could have closed earlier this morning we could have had a reduced distance super sport race.

So my question is nothing to with with if The TT should take place, because it does, but since people spend so much money on getting here should the island not show a bit more flexibility in road closures to allow the event to actually run?

Its and inconvenience anyway so does getting home from work late one night really make a big enough difference to locals to justify annoying the people who have come here with their hard earned cash?

It was raining at half 5 yesterday. 

26 minutes ago, HeliX said:
1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Many tolerate TT as it's the only time of year when the island has events like Bushys and the 1886 stage. 

There's no way we'd have the footfall for those events without the TT. Tens of thousands aren't going to pay steam packet prices to come to the Island for a couple of gigs.

Bushys probably - but that's a TT-related thing explicitly.  But the big 1886 gigs strike me mainly as aimed at locals - it would be interesting to know the split, they must have some idea as the majority will have been pre-booked.  And even at Bushys there seems to be a lot of locals.

I suppose you could argue that the TT gives locals the permission/opportunity to go on a spending spree, but arguably other things could do that.

I've long been unconvinced that the TT is a massive financial gain for the Island, indeed looking at the figures I wonder if it even makes any sort of profit, including economic 'benefit'.  And those figures tend to miss out a lot of hidden costs, opportunity costs and so on as well as a lot of the spend going straight off-Island, even for accommodation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

So as at the end of today a couple of races will have run at reduced distance and we still have three to run tomorrow.

The issues I see there are that one of not both of the remaining singles races will need to be shortened if not cancelled, and that fans have had a few days where the only singles race has been the super twin.

People have taken time off work and paid fortunes to visit, compete, sponsor etc.

Races could have been run yesterday other than the road closure stipulating  they must open between 5 and 6.  Without that relatively new constraint they could have had the super sport race.

If the roads could have closed earlier this morning we could have had a reduced distance super sport race.

So my question is nothing to with with if The TT should take place, because it does, but since people spend so much money on getting here should the island not show a bit more flexibility in road closures to allow the event to actually run?

Its and inconvenience anyway so does getting home from work late one night really make a big enough difference to locals to justify annoying the people who have come here with their hard earned cash?

Is there a reason the race wasn't run this morning? The weather forecast hasn't changed since yesterday. Why did they plan for this afternoon? 

42 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

since people spend so much money on getting here should the island not show a bit more flexibility in road closures

No. Visitors should just be grateful and show some respect to the GMT who pay for the event. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

That’s my point.  The road closure order doesn’t allow them to close the roads until 11:30 on the Tuesday or Thursday.

It was becoming apparent yesterday lunchtime that the windows for racing were then until late afternoon/early evening, and then this morning 

I suppose if a funeral service is booked then that's the end of that. 

1 minute ago, Bandits said:

We’ve now changed our minds. Bookings are actually up we just didn’t know. Are the booking numbers publicly available as it seems a big change to go from 1,000 people down to 10% up! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visitor-numbers-up-significantly-more-than-initially-thought/

They made a guess. The actual was a little higher than the guess. I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bandits said:

We’ve now changed our minds. Bookings are actually up we just didn’t know. Are the booking numbers publicly available as it seems a big change to go from 1,000 people down to 10% up! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visitor-numbers-up-significantly-more-than-initially-thought/

No doubt including the canny locals turning to the Liverpool boat in number because flying is shit

• Like 1