TT 2022 ??

Barlow

6 hours ago, joebean said:

Having read through the threads of the last few days, it is clear that it is not possible to have a grown-up debate about the TT with people who enjoy it. At some point we are going to have to have a proper, thoughtful and ethical debate about it, either because the people who live here want to have it or because we are forced to.

I think that's a bit unfair, because there have been some thoughtful contributions from those who enjoy it, even if you don't agree with them.  What is the real problem is something that applies to too many topics over here - a desire on the part of some to shut any sort of critical discussion down and insult anyone who differs from their own viewpoint.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

No, the schedule has been changed for next year and in doing so I think sidecars will get more practice laps and more race laps (by that I mean no reduction in laps like has happened this week).

Its a very ambitious schedule though which I think is not feasable . Time will tell.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, joebean said:

The facts of the misidentification in the last episode are actually irrelevant. No doubt, some “reasons” for it will be made known but, sometimes things are unacceptable and whatever reasons created the unacceptable event, they remain unacceptable. This is one of those occasions. It should not have happened and the end result will be that the reputation of the Island will be diminished. 
These events tend to be tidied away quite quickly and consigned to history and the sidecar incident has been successfully managed in the same way. I suspect it may come back to bite us. 

Not quite irrelevant and mistakes can always happen.  You can see how two guys sharing accommodation might pick up each other's dog tags for instance if getting ready in a hurry.  What is important is how you deal with mistakes, how quickly you realise they have happened and what you do to put them right.  And in something as public as this, how you communicate what has happened and what you are doing about it.

In this case it took four days to realise the mistake - even though the two men were physically very different (Chanal was a good six inches taller and had long hair).  Clearly there was no further help or even engagement from the organisers after the accident.  All we've had organisationally is a vague assurance that some sort of review "in due course".  And of course the instruction that we should all shut up about it until they decide otherwise.

Obviously this isn't going to work, what with this new-fangled internet, and I found numerous references to the story not just in the UK (here's the Telegraph story via MSN for example, which shows some evidence of plundering this thread) but in a variety of other languages as well and both in sports and news pages.  And most report not just the mix-up but the other racing deaths as well, which would previously have gone unreported.  There may be more in-depth reportage in the weekend papers as well.  I'm not sure any of this counts as being 'successfully managed'.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not quite irrelevant and mistakes can always happen.  You can see how two guys sharing accommodation might pick up each other's dog tags for instance if getting ready in a hurry.  What is important is how you deal with mistakes, how quickly you realise they have happened and what you do to put them right.  And in something as public as this, how you communicate what has happened and what you are doing about it.

In this case it took four days to realise the mistake - even though the two men were physically very different (Chanal was a good six inches taller and had long hair).  Clearly there was no further help or even engagement from the organisers after the accident.  All we've had organisationally is a vague assurance that some sort of review "in due course".  And of course the instruction that we should all shut up about it until they decide otherwise.

Obviously this isn't going to work, what with this new-fangled internet, and I found numerous references to the story not just in the UK (here's the Telegraph story via MSN for example, which shows some evidence of plundering this thread) but in a variety of other languages as well and both in sports and news pages.  And most report not just the mix-up but the other racing deaths as well, which would previously have gone unreported.  There may be more in-depth reportage in the weekend papers as well.  I'm not sure any of this counts as being 'successfully managed'.

As I said, this may well come back to bite us. The essential fact is that the IOM Government, in support of a relatively small sector of the economy, promotes, funds and facilitates an event where men die in appalling circumstances, sometimes being rendered unrecognisable. That is a fact for many, that cannot be altered or explained by any enquiry, investigation or explanation. That is what makes the reasons that may be forthcoming, irrelevant. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, philwebs said:

QB to Bray Hill was resurfaced last year, from memory.

Accident in the same spot, both sidecars

Adverse camber?

Coincidence?

Just speculating.

You would think they would have checked for that already. But agree it’s odd for two crashes at the exact same spot. The first one was rumoured to be due to mechanical failure though rather than road design.