TT 2022 ??

Barlow

13 minutes ago, philwebs said:

QB to Bray Hill was resurfaced last year, from memory.

Accident in the same spot, both sidecars

Adverse camber?

Coincidence?

Just speculating.

(Remove if out of order)

One concerning snippet (to me) that came out of an interview with one of the drivers just before the race; the 600cc engines that the sidecars use are at their development ceiling - they can't get any more out of them.

So crews are now lightening components of the outfits in order to gain a power/weight advantage. The rules governing the materials that can be used in F2 sidecars are fairly strict, so if lightening is taking place by not resorting to exotic, disallowed materials, that may be compromising strength. That may be fine for short circuit racing but the TT course imposes a completely different set of mechanical stresses, far in excess of any short circuit.

One of the original reasons for banning the open class sidecars was lightness of construction deemed unsuitable for the TT course. We are going full circle.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Hear hear. In fact we should probably wait a few days after the announcement to be on the safe side.

Exactly so many angry clowns on here who seem to want all mention of anything banned. I believe there will be an announcement soon. 

• Haha 1

He was taking the piss.

The whole idea that you must not mention that anything bad has happened/potentially happened until an official statement has been released is utterly bizarre. I can understand not discussing identities etc in a public forum but otherwise why would you not talk about it? It's part of the racing, after all.

2 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Exactly so many angry clowns on here who seem to want all mention of anything banned. I believe there will be an announcement soon. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bandits said:

I think the point was, wait for the official announcement. What purpose is served by Gizo's post, bar trying to show that he is in the know? I hope he is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

You would think they would have checked for that already. But agree it’s odd for two crashes at the exact same spot. The first one was rumoured to be due to mechanical failure though rather than road design. 

In 1978 , two major sidecar crashes on Bray Hill, Mac Hobson/ Kenny Birch .. they hit  a drain cover that was too high and lost control,  just after the garage.. i think the other pair (whos names i cant remember )were further down the road perhaps Quarter Bridge road?.. 

Edited by Ďouglas Peel
Stupidity.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

In 1978 , two major sidecar crashes on Bray Hill, Mac Hobson/ Kenny Birch .. they hit  a drain cover that was too high and lost control,  just after the garage.. i think the other pair (whos names i cant remember )were further down the road?

The crash the other day was catalysed by mechanical failure I believe. It wasn’t something like that. There are some good points made above by non believer in relation to potential weight saving measures which are particular to sidecars though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I think the point was, wait for the official announcement. What purpose is served by Gizo's post, bar trying to show that he is in the know? I hope he is wrong.

There are people who have been spectating in that area. There are also people who have spoken to people who we’re spectating in that area. And there are people who know people who work in government or the emergency services who already know what is going on. You can’t assume that everyone on this forum or elsewhere knows ‘fuck all’. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

In 1978 , two major sidecar crashes on Bray Hill, Mac Hobson/ Kenny Birch .. they hit  a drain cover that was too high and lost control,  just after the garage.. i think the other pair (whos names i cant remember )were further down the road perhaps Quarter bridge road?.. 

Ernst Traschel, apparently a mechanical failure also. 

In the Mac Hobson incident, the hill had been dug up to lay a new drain and relayed with a huge jump off the end of High View Road. A white line had been painted in advance to warn riders, to no avail. 

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The Marshals Association has put out an appeal for marshals for tomorrow. This will be interesting as to whether there will be enough marshals. 

Yes, a lot are on the ferry home in the morning!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bandits said:

There are people who have been spectating in that area. There are also people who have spoken to people who we’re spectating in that area. And there are people who know people who work in government or the emergency services who already know what is going on. You can’t assume that everyone on this forum or elsewhere knows ‘fuck all’. 

Correct- I have checked in with a close friend who lives there as I did last week as his garden is often occupied for the races - thankfully all at his residence are fine however his comment of “worse than last week” is worrying.

It is not knowing “fuck all” or being disrespectful or gloating over avoidable deaths with a “told you so” attitude- it’s purely dealing with the fact it’s happened again.

• Like 6