TT 2022 ??

Barlow

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Both the solo fatalities this year are listed as being on 600s.

The vast majority of solo TT fatalities in the last 20 years have been on 1000cc machines.

17 out of a total of 63 course fatalities were on 1000cc bikes. Some of those I know were not related to the size of the machine, rather other factors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That white line was there for years.  I also remember the event that led to it, no less pleasant than the reported events of Saturday 

1978....concerns were raised about the profile of a manhole cover after roadworks at the crest of the hill, during practice IIRC? They painted a long white line from the cover back up towards the Grandstand to warn competitors on their approach, sadly to no avail.

Over the winter of 78/79 the crest was reprofiled and Jock Taylor was brought in to carry out test runs using his outfit in early 79.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Sitting at home listening to celebratory fireworks. Having spend a fair proportion of today involved (indirectly)with the families of those involved in two tragic sidecar crashes, I feel totally empty. 

I’m sorry to hear that.

If it helps, I remember feeling the same when I lost a friend in a race a long time ago. Watching people still doing the normal TT fun stuff was an unreal experience. 
Take care of yourself. 

• Like 3

Just now, Max Power said:

17 out of a total of 63 course fatalities were on 1000cc bikes. Some of those I know were not related to the size of the machine, rather other factors. 

Take out the MGP and sidecar fatalities though Max....it makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Sitting at home listening to celebratory fireworks. Having spend a fair proportion of today involved (indirectly)with the families of those involved in two tragic sidecar crashes, I feel totally empty. 

Yes, a hollow feeling indeed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I’m sorry to hear that.

If it helps, I remember feeling the same when I lost a friend in a race a long time ago. Watching people still doing the normal TT fun stuff was an unreal experience. 
Take care of yourself. 

Thank you. First time I’ve cried for years. 

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Take out the MGP and sidecar fatalities though Max....it makes a huge difference.

Yeah that. I did a fagpacket count on just TT, just since 2000, and the 1000cc numbers were around double the 600cc numbers. Obviously someone who could be arsed could work out how many laps are run on each, how many competitors etc etc, but it passes a sniff test given that higher speeds = more lethality if you crash, and probably higher chance of crashing to start with.

Just wish one MHK would stick their head above the parapet on this, but I know not one would dare. Political suicide.

I believe High Admiral Watterson isn’t exactly a fan, tbh he’d probably be the only MHK who could survive a thorough TT “discussion “. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

1000cc races are 50% longer if run as scheduled, and the top guys definitely do more practice laps on the big bikes.

I can’t be arsed to work it out, but gut feeling is it’s not that big a difference.

Still irrelevant in regards to this year either way but I kind of go with what Max was getting at.  I think people are more likely to make a mistake wringing the nuts of a small bike than being more careful on a big one.

Either way you are probably going to hit something hard at high speed.

I don't think there are any points where the fast boys aren't giving it their all on the big bikes now though. I think looking at one TT in isolation is a pretty sizeable mistake.

• Like 1

When my mate who unfortunately has seen both sidecar fatalities this week said this one is worse.

That itself as a statement is astonishing- how can seeing someone die and someone injured beyond recognition which has been globally reported be essentially outdone within a week ?

Sit on a hedge tomorrow it’s all fine.

Not for me

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
Bloodbath
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1