TT 2022 ??

Barlow

The fatalities yesterday were a story on the Main BBC Breakfast news today, along with the total of five deaths. I have been told there was also a spectator injured yesterday too. 

Gary Roberts tweeted about a very different story on the open roads. Not wishing to jinx it but no fatalities so far.and just thirty collisions. That is unprecedented.

But as Gary likes to ask, "is it because of us or in spite of us?". I've never subscribed to that personally whilst acknowledging luck does play a part. 

There can be no doubt that a wholesale rethink of speed limits, enforcement and an excellent campaign and relentless social media awareness efforts have contributed to those extremely low numbers. I'm absolutely delighted to see it, and congratulations are most definitely in order.

I suspect that the majority of the public will also be really pleased.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Painful as it is, if there is a full six lap exciting senior today with no major incident then tens of thousands of people’s minds will quickly shift to that and the thrill and excitement rather than yesterdays incident and social media chatter will nearly all be positive again.

I don’t agree. A big section of BBC news this morning on the deaths. It doesn’t really matter what people here think it’s what will be reported in the off island press that matters. Which is why they’re trying to pretty much silence everything so that they have limited information to report. 

8 minutes ago, Bandits said:

I don’t agree. A big section of BBC news this morning on the deaths. It doesn’t really matter what people here think it’s what will be reported in the off island press that matters. Which is why they’re trying to pretty much silence everything so that they have limited information to report. 

Can you identify define “they” as in “they’re trying to pretty much silence everything”?

ill give you a clue as to what is happening. Read point 71, here.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/guidance-no-25-coroners-and-the-media.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Genuine question. As the sidecar is pretty much based on a cottage industry how can they stress test their creations to TT level before heading out on the track?

Is the much-quoted 35mm of suspension travel, derived from short-circuit car racing, adequate for the roads and undulations of the TT course? Also consider the footage and complaints about Sulby Straight in that respect. It's time to take stock of the construction regulations in respect of the TT IMHO.

• Like 1

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

I am astounded this doesn’t seem to have been picked up on.  There was potential for both incidents down there to have been far, far worse than they were and as a massive TT fan I am surprised some temporary restrictions weren’t put in place following the first incident and until there had been a full review.

I know most spectators down there are on private property, but if there had been several taken out yesterday (and there nearly were) following a copycat incident earlier in the week that still hasn’t been fully explained then that would have been the end of the event in my opinion.

This is an interesting point. A large area at Signpost Corner has now been turned into a prohibited area, hopefully temporarily, losing a lot of spectator capacity, after a fairly minor incident at the end of practice week.

But  could they do the same thing on QB Road? Can the organisers actually stop people watching from their own gardens, driveways etc. regardless of the perceived level of risk?

10 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Invite … not force to compel.

Its a bit like the whole sub judice argument around Ranson. Stop all debate by threatening people. 

And your point is? 

Where’s the threat? Where is the compulsion?

You can’t compare an invitation by the Coroner to the press and organisers to the rule on sub judice in Tynwald. It’s totally different, in scope, nature and application.

Do you accept, now, that this may not be your “they”?