TT 2022 ??

Barlow

That was an excellent race, when things go well it truly is one of the best motorcycle races in the world! Hicky and Harrison are both great ambassadors for the sport, was there something troubling Cummins though? He just didn’t seem particularly happy in the press chats when he came 3rd, despite a great battle with Davey Todd who desperately wanted a podium finish, I was just expecting Cummins to be happier and yet he seemed as flat as a pancake.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

That was an excellent race, when things go well it truly is one of the best motorcycle races in the world! Hicky and Harrison are both great ambassadors for the sport, was there something troubling Cummins though? He just didn’t seem particularly happy in the press chats when he came 3rd, despite a great battle with Davey Todd who desperately wanted a podium finish, I was just expecting Cummins to be happier and yet he seemed as flat as a pancake.

He had a bit of a moment coming into the Verandah on lap 5 or 6, I forget which. Might've been a bit shit-up.

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I don’t know if it still happens, but there was a time that if you had a property that abounded the course where risk was foreseen, you were asked to sign a disclaimer.

personally my response would have been to ask what the organizers were doing to prevent collateral intrusion into my property in the event of an incident?

had a few done that I suspect we might not have an event today

What would have been the point in "asking" a property owner to sign a disclaimer?  What would happen when they refused?  Would they get arrested or would the organisers re-route the course or something?

I don't see how a disclaimer would achieve anything?

And if your property ends up being damaged or somebody is killed or injured when a competitor crashes into your property, isn't that exactly what the ACU's third party public liability insurance is for?

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

He had a bit of a moment coming into the Verandah on lap 5 or 6, I forget which. Might've been a bit shit-up.

That would make perfect sense and I didn’t hear anything mentioned about it on TT plus, he was clearly pushing hard for 3rd so wanted the podium, was emotional with his kids upon his return and all the things you’d expect but just didn’t seem particularly happy in that first interview/chat, I’ve no doubt it would cause some nasty flashbacks if it happened at Verandah.

4 hours ago, WTF said:

didn't juan turner raise the point that the organisers were required to make sure sufficient insurance was in  place for something or other and they didn't like it being pointed out to them.

But the organisers are covered aren't they?

Perhaps I'm misreading it, but according to the ACU handbook that somebody linked to earlier in this thread, doesn't the ACU have public liability cover for up to £40 million (Premier cover) or up to £10 million (Basic cover) in respect of any single accident? 

pp 86 - 91  01_ACU HANDBOOK_2020

Am I misreading that?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Disagree.

The only emphasis I have seen on do not speculate in any official communication has been about the mistaken identity, and that is for very good reason.

I haven’t  seen any bad news comms for the organisers that didn’t express sympathy and let’s be honest, if they said any more than that people would be on about them being insincere.

I honestly don’t know what you would like them to have done any differently? Do you have any examples?

Where's the apology or regret that they released the wrong name in this statement?

https://twitter.com/ttracesofficial/status/1534486236894724098/photo/1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

What would have been the point in "asking" a property owner to sign a disclaimer?  What would happen when they refused?  Would they get arrested or would the organisers re-route the course or something?

I don't see how a disclaimer would achieve anything?

And if your property ends up being damaged or somebody is killed or injured when a competitor crashes into your property, isn't that exactly what the ACU's third party public liability insurance is for?

My understanding is that if the property is in a prohibited area you can’t stand outside your own house whether you sign a disclaimer or not. I looked at buying a house on the course and was told categorically that watching from the front garden was a prohibited during the races, this was when new prohibited sections had been brought in and areas risk accessed.

What happens if you stand in a prohibited area is another matter, AFAIK if a marshal tells you to move and you refuse it becomes a Police matter, I guess if a marshal doesn’t tell you to move on then you’ve done so at your own risk.

• Sad 1

It never seems to be mentioned but how much money do the winners get, It is from memory quite a lot and was on the web somewhere if my memory is not totally screwed by age?

I do know from a couple of island friends that the top riders get paid a LOT of money to turn up, regardless of results. They would never tell me how much because they had to sign what I know know is called a NDA.

The "start" money is the blood money in my book.

Would a local be able to get the sums involved from a FOI?

30 minutes ago, Declan said:

They don't need to with you around.

Ah yes, I forgot that you’re the chief conspiracy creator when it comes to anything me. Never understood your strange obsession with my boring life but if it makes you happy, be my guest. 

• Like 1

Some cracking quotes from Paul Phillips here. He claims that the fans won’t let them make the course safer. Which is of course bullshit

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/deaths-are-a-tradition-at-the-isle-of-man-tt-they-shouldnt-be

“Phillips admitted that the TT organizers face a major pushback against attempts to improve safety and avoid deaths. “Of course, there’ll always be some resistance, especially around the safety and risk management stuff. You see people saying, ‘They don’t need to do any of that stuff because the riders know the risks.’"

That culture that exists around our sport isn’t something I can sign up to," however, Phillips said. "There are avoidable risks and risks that can be managed out, and that doesn’t change the essence of what TT is and the inherent risk that is part of the attraction. What it does do, though, is mean we are a sustainable and responsible organization."

Winning a race known for its death toll doesn't have a higher value for having cost other peoples' lives. The improved measures this year show that organizers understand the problem but with accidents still proving lethal, there has to be more that can be done, including ultimately changing the course. A safety management system is a good start but it clearly isn't stopping the deaths.”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

My understanding is that if the property is in a prohibited area you can’t stand outside your own house whether you sign a disclaimer or not. I looked at buying a house on the course and was told categorically that watching from the front garden was a prohibited during the races, this was when new prohibited sections had been brought in and areas risk accessed.

What happens if you stand in a prohibited area is another matter, AFAIK if a marshal tells you to move and you refuse it becomes a Police matter, I guess if a marshal doesn’t tell you to move on then you’ve done so at your own risk.

Areas can only be made restricted with the permission of the landowner.

So that scenario would be impossible. 

9 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Ah yes, I forgot that you’re the chief conspiracy creator when it comes to anything me. Never understood your strange obsession with my boring life but if it makes you happy, be my guest. 

Bit paranoid. You just popped up at the right time to illustrate the point I made earlier -

2 hours ago, Declan said:

What I am saying is the approach seems to be to manage the amount of media and social media discussion about uncomfortable matters. They do that early on - “please don’t speculate” more important than “we regret this bad news”. Then people in those communities, especially those with an agenda, latch on to the request to shut down debate. But it’s not a conspiracy- it’s done in plain sight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Areas can only be made restricted with the permission of the landowner.

So that scenario would be impossible. 

I didn’t get to speak with the homeowners directly, but the estate agent certainly didn’t make it sound like they were given a choice, so what happens if a former landowner agrees to it but the new owner doesn’t, what happens then?