TT 2022 ??

Barlow

27 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Ah ok, so not an incident statement then.

They can’t apologise for or regret something that hasn’t been investigated yet and that may be for any number of reasons.

Knowing what half the island know about what apparently might have happened I don’t think they have done anything wrong with that statement but guess we need to wait for the official details to be released before anyone can really pass comment

I was referring to the mistaken identity statement not the incidents. Sorry if that was unclear.

You can apologise or admit regret without admitting liability. It's natural and human to respond to someone telling you their Gran died with "I'm sorry to hear that" - it's not a confession.

In this instance, there's no debate that the misidentification happened, the investigation will be into how, so you could say "We are sorry that our statement released on Saturday, wrongly identified the rider who died. We deeply regret the additional suffering this has caused to the families and friends of both riders. Please be assured that a full investigation will be undertaken to understand how this unfortunate misinformation came to be released".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Unfortunately if they are wearing wrong ID tags as the swapped them, then it’s a little unfair to blame the organisers 

My point isn't about blame for the incident or the mix-up or even the organisers. It's about the PR / social media team's woeful messaging.

5 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I guess that in this day and age they also have to be very careful about anything that might be deemed to be an admission of responsibility prior to a proper investigation? 

Or they simply don’t think they have anything to apologize for. 

31 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Some cracking quotes from Paul Phillips here. He claims that the fans won’t let them make the course safer. Which is of course bullshit

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/deaths-are-a-tradition-at-the-isle-of-man-tt-they-shouldnt-be

“Phillips admitted that the TT organizers face a major pushback against attempts to improve safety and avoid deaths. “Of course, there’ll always be some resistance, especially around the safety and risk management stuff. You see people saying, ‘They don’t need to do any of that stuff because the riders know the risks.’"

That culture that exists around our sport isn’t something I can sign up to," however, Phillips said. "There are avoidable risks and risks that can be managed out, and that doesn’t change the essence of what TT is and the inherent risk that is part of the attraction. What it does do, though, is mean we are a sustainable and responsible organization."

Winning a race known for its death toll doesn't have a higher value for having cost other peoples' lives. The improved measures this year show that organizers understand the problem but with accidents still proving lethal, there has to be more that can be done, including ultimately changing the course. A safety management system is a good start but it clearly isn't stopping the deaths.”

Everyone knows you don’t like TT but please stop posting conspiracy theories shit all the time & stay off the thread, roll on 2023!!😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Everyone knows you don’t like TT but please stop posting conspiracy theories shit all the time & stay off the thread, roll on 2023!!😀

Oh it seems Mr Angry has woken up again. That’s an actual article written by an actual journalist with actual quotes attributed to Paul Phillips. 

Edited by Bandits
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I guess that in this day and age they also have to be very careful about anything that might be deemed to be an admission of responsibility prior to a proper investigation? 

That fear probably is indeed the root cause of the poor statement. Doesn't excuse it - they have PR professionals working for them - but even inexperienced customer service people (outside govt) know saying sorry something has happened isn't the same as admitting responsibilty - "I'm sorry your bill was more than you expected - I'll get the accounts team to check it's correct."

47 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

It never seems to be mentioned but how much money do the winners get, It is from memory quite a lot and was on the web somewhere if my memory is not totally screwed by age?

I do know from a couple of island friends that the top riders get paid a LOT of money to turn up, regardless of results. They would never tell me how much because they had to sign what I know know is called a NDA.

The "start" money is the blood money in my book.

Would a local be able to get the sums involved from a FOI?

Prize money Starts Section 12, page 63

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Where's the apology or regret that they released the wrong name in this statement?

https://twitter.com/ttracesofficial/status/1534486236894724098/photo/1

Their thoughts were with the families?  It depends on who did the mis-identification. Also you would guess that insurers would be clearing announcements to be sure there are no inadvertent admissions of liability. 

Paul Phillips has a point. When all the extra viewing restrictions were added in 2008, there was much wailing from many fans that claimed it was being sanitised and no more fun. Things along the lines of “I’d rather get hit by a bike while watching inside a hedge than being made to watch behind a fence”. 

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Paul Phillips has a point. When all the extra viewing restrictions were added in 2008, there was much wailing from many fans that claimed it was being sanitised and no more fun. Things along the lines of “I’d rather get hit by a bike while watching inside a hedge than being made to watch behind a fence”. 

Not sure that follows that it'd be the same for things that make it safer for the competitors. If a spectator wants to risk standing somewhere dangerous, its themselves (at least almost entirely) that they're risking. So far as I'm concerned any spectator who opposes improving safety for the competitors in a way that the competitors agree with can fuck off and not come back.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kevster said:

Prize money Starts Section 12, page 63

At first I wondered why the money is tiered on position in each lap rather than overall result but of course someone can lead for 3 laps and have a mechanical breakdown, so it’s actually a fairer way of doing things.

I wonder how it compares to other road races?

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

At first I wondered why the money is tiered on position in each lap rather than overall result but of course someone can lead for 3 laps and have a mechanical breakdown, so it’s actually a fairer way of doing things.

I wonder how it compares to other road races?

Can't find the numbers for the NW200, but I think it compares favourable to the (now gone) Ulster GP. In that they didn't pay out the winners for the last Ulster GP so far as I know.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Not sure that follows that it'd be the same for things that make it safer for the competitors. If a spectator wants to risk standing somewhere dangerous, its themselves (at least almost entirely) that they're risking. So far as I'm concerned any spectator who opposes improving safety for the competitors in a way that the competitors agree with can fuck off and not come back.

I was a little surprised at footage from the exit of Creg ny Baa showing spectators sitting on the hedges with their legs on the track side of the hedge only inches from the competitors flashing past, there was a time when marshals (and the Police) and race signage made it quite clear that spectators had to keep their legs off that side of the hedges and they'd have been told to do so for good reason.

16 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Oh it seems Mr Angry has woken up again. That’s an actual article written by an actual journalist with actual quotes attributed to Paul Phillips. 

So when an actual journalist writes an actual article with an actual quote, it means that the actual quote couldn't possibly be the opinion of an actual person* who believes in actual conspiracy theories? 

56 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Some cracking quotes from Paul Phillips here. He claims that the fans won’t let them make the course safer. Which is of course bullshit

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/deaths-are-a-tradition-at-the-isle-of-man-tt-they-shouldnt-be

“Phillips admitted that the TT organizers face a major pushback against attempts to improve safety and avoid deaths. “Of course, there’ll always be some resistance, especially around the safety and risk management stuff. You see people saying, ‘They don’t need to do any of that stuff because the riders know the risks.’"

That culture that exists around our sport isn’t something I can sign up to," however, Phillips said. "There are avoidable risks and risks that can be managed out, and that doesn’t change the essence of what TT is and the inherent risk that is part of the attraction. What it does do, though, is mean we are a sustainable and responsible organization."

Winning a race known for its death toll doesn't have a higher value for having cost other peoples' lives. The improved measures this year show that organizers understand the problem but with accidents still proving lethal, there has to be more that can be done, including ultimately changing the course. A safety management system is a good start but it clearly isn't stopping the deaths.”

Actually, I see so mention of "the fans" in the quotes you posted. That would seem to be a TTanon conspiracy of your own making. 

*I'm not saying Paul Phillips believes in conspiracy theories. Bandits, on the other hand.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1