TT 2022 ??

Barlow

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was a little surprised at footage from the exit of Creg ny Baa showing spectators sitting on the hedges with their legs on the track side of the hedge only inches from the competitors flashing past, there was a time when marshals (and the Police) and race signage made it quite clear that spectators had to keep their legs off that side of the hedges and they'd have been told to do so for good reason.

All along the bank in Sulby village too

Just now, HeliX said:

Not sure that follows that it'd be the same for things that make it safer for the competitors. If a spectator wants to risk standing somewhere dangerous, its themselves (at least almost entirely) that they're risking. So far as I'm concerned any spectator who opposes improving safety for the competitors in a way that the competitors agree with can fuck off and not come back.

You see lots of spectators in viewing positions that are far from ideal when looking from a safety point of view, sitting on any grass verge/bank a foot away from a racer travelling at 180mph is absolutely insane on the face of it, but historically only viewing areas that have seen previous accidents join the prohibited list, so we only worry about it if/when the time comes. Behind the grass bank/hedgerow is relatively safe, but legs dangling on track sat on top of the bank is not.

9 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I'm not saying Paul Phillips believes in conspiracy theories. Bandits, on the other hand.....

Poor trolling by another idiot who rather than debate the issues just wants to bully and try to discredit posters who express views they don’t like. Nothing said anywhere is a conspiracy. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was a little surprised at footage from the exit of Creg ny Baa showing spectators sitting on the hedges with their legs on the track side of the hedge only inches from the competitors flashing past, there was a time when marshals (and the Police) and race signage made it quite clear that spectators had to keep their legs off that side of the hedges and they'd have been told to do so for good reason.

I was up the creg in the week and about half way down people were standing on the road and leaning over taking videos.  Seemed very unsafe, especially after the wheelies on the hump 

24 minutes ago, Zarley said:

So when an actual journalist writes an actual article with an actual quote, it means that the actual quote couldn't possibly be the opinion of an actual person* who believes in actual conspiracy theories?

Just sad.

Edited by Bandits

18 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Poor trolling by another idiot who rather than debate the issues just wants to bully and try to discredit posters who express views they don’t like. Nothing said anywhere is a conspiracy. 

Don't worry, I'm not trying to take your King Troll crown. You wear it so well!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Some cracking quotes from Paul Phillips here. He claims that the fans won’t let them make the course safer. Which is of course bullshit

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/deaths-are-a-tradition-at-the-isle-of-man-tt-they-shouldnt-be

“Phillips admitted that the TT organizers face a major pushback against attempts to improve safety and avoid deaths. “Of course, there’ll always be some resistance, especially around the safety and risk management stuff. You see people saying, ‘They don’t need to do any of that stuff because the riders know the risks.’"

That culture that exists around our sport isn’t something I can sign up to," however, Phillips said. "There are avoidable risks and risks that can be managed out, and that doesn’t change the essence of what TT is and the inherent risk that is part of the attraction. What it does do, though, is mean we are a sustainable and responsible organization."

Winning a race known for its death toll doesn't have a higher value for having cost other peoples' lives. The improved measures this year show that organizers understand the problem but with accidents still proving lethal, there has to be more that can be done, including ultimately changing the course. A safety management system is a good start but it clearly isn't stopping the deaths.”

Jesus H Christ - HE SAID THAT/ this....?

“Phillips admitted that the TT organizers face a major pushback against attempts to improve safety and avoid deaths"

Just WOW................... Fucking WOW 

The Civil Service on the IOM will do anything and say anything, it seems, to protect their income stream - for the avoidance of a misunderstanding for the off island Press reading these pages - the islands government has a government  department to organise this death race.

To the residents of the IOM - You must know by now that the races have an unacceptably HIGH death rate for a so called "sport" ? Why not do something about it?

A CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE SPONSORS OF THE TT like Monster and Milwaukee on their web sites may help. (I will never again buy a Milwaukee tool - I spend approx. £10,000 on hand tools a year for my business - their loss, I have bought plenty of their kit in the past - never again.

To quote Phillips again  - "The improved measures this year show that organizers understand the problem"

Real translation - THEY UNDERSTAND THEY CANT DO ANYTHING MEANINGFULL TO STOP DEATHS BUT IF THEY SPEND A LOT THEY CAN SAY  this -  " We have spent millions on the so called SMS so that means we, PERSONLLY,  have a clear conscience  regarding the yearly, very predictable deaths."

The truth is, you cant make the TT races safe, -  Fuck they died doing what they love - That argument is so stupid its not worth countering.

Bottom line it is an un-inclusive "Sport" with all white males and obvious lack of diversity, in fact many of the leading racers are openly homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic.

It is a, STATE SPONSORED, for profit , CARNAGE that accepts death as part of the process of bringing money to your sad little island in the middle of the sea that has lost all sense of common decency.

GET A FUCKING GRIP YOU MANX, YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO THE BRITISH ISLES

MY PREDICTION FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AND THE FOLLOWING WEEK -------

You will have your sad little island "politicians" saying the TT has been a success............

😞 FFS Sort yourselves out 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I was referring to the mistaken identity statement not the incidents. Sorry if that was unclear.

You can apologise or admit regret without admitting liability. It's natural and human to respond to someone telling you their Gran died with "I'm sorry to hear that" - it's not a confession.

In this instance, there's no debate that the misidentification happened, the investigation will be into how, so you could say "We are sorry that our statement released on Saturday, wrongly identified the rider who died. We deeply regret the additional suffering this has caused to the families and friends of both riders. Please be assured that a full investigation will be undertaken to understand how this unfortunate misinformation came to be released".

Yes.  I don't understand the apparent reluctance and reticence just to apologise or express regret for mistakenly announcing the death of the wrong competitor.  It doesn't really matter why or how the mistake occurred - everybody knows it happened.  It seems both churlish and disrespectful not to do so.  I don't see how not apologising can be considered acceptable.

I also agree that just expressing sorrow or regret isn't an admission of liability.  Not that I can see in this case what liability there could possibly be to anyone.  Yes, the families of both riders will have experienced enormous distress and upset as a result of the mistaken identity, but I wouldn't have thought that that was something that on its own was actionable under Manx law?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Hands up.  I was one of them.  I used to watch from inside at Brandish.  Hugely dangerous. The whites of the riders; eyes were only about half a metre from mine. I moaned my head off at the restrictions.  Looking back now I don't half feel a chump. it was bloody good fun tho - terrifying - but bloody good fun.

Fair enough. I’ve always been too much of a wuss to watch at the really hairy places so I never really got it. 😂

I still find it astounding that people are allowed to get so drunk so close to a race track. I know it is sort of funny watching some old fella topple of a hedge and face plant into the ground, but then it also feels kind of like I should not enjoy it, but if I do feel any guilt I just remind myself they are just doing what they love and then it's all OK.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

A CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE SPONSORS OF THE TT like Monster and Milwaukee on their web sites may help. (I will never again buy a Milwaukee tool - I spend approx. £10,000 on hand tools a year for my business - their loss, I have bought plenty of their kit in the past - never again.

I’m not sure that would work but similar things have happened in the past granted. It would only take one of the more wokey groups of campaigners to try to do the usual cancel culture thing on the TT sponsors. But even they don’t seem to be offended by death. It looks like they might possibly tolerate a family being fired through brick wall at 150 mph. But if Peter Hickman mis-gendered a member of his pit team or refused to admit that trans women are women then it might be grounds for such a campaign in the rather strange world we now seem to inhabit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I didn’t get to speak with the homeowners directly, but the estate agent certainly didn’t make it sound like they were given a choice, so what happens if a former landowner agrees to it but the new owner doesn’t, what happens then?

To be honest I am not sure. I would have to see the document. I had a feeling the agreements were renewed every few (maybe 5 years). I'll see if I can find out as I know a farmer whose field corner is restricted.

I do know that the restriction applies to everyone, including the land owner, once it is made but I don't know if it transfers to new owners. 

@John Wrightmight know if such legal agreements can stick with the property regardless of change of ownership. 

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

To be honest I am not sure. I would have to see the document. I had a feeling the agreements were renewed every few (maybe 5 years). I'll see if I can find out as I know a farmer whose field corner is restricted.

I do know that the restriction applies to everyone, including the land owner, once it is made but I don't know if it transfers to new owners. 

@John Wrightmight know if such legal agreements can stick with the property regardless of change of ownership. 

Wayleaves run with the land. So they bind subsequent owners. They can be registered against the title, and must be if for longer than 21 years. Same as phone posts, electric pylons, water/electric/gas mains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1