TT 2022 ??

Barlow

16 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Motorsport the world over is dominated by white men.  Take a look at the F1 paddock etc.

It is, other than an eight times world champion being black! But then again, motorsport was created by white men, built by white men, then the Japanese, so it's traditions will relate to those societies. A lot more far eastern companies and competitors are involved from Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and China, but that doesn't answer the fact that black people don't generally get into the sport so readily? It's not as though several African countries are without very wealthy citizens or the means to promote motorsport?    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

He sort of has a point though. Do we have any coloured never mind LGBTQ+ or otherwise gender diverse TT riders? It does seem to comprise largely of stereotypical heterosexual white men some of whom have even been exposed as wife beaters. 

Gender diverse? Michael/ Michelle Duff in the sixties raced the TT  does that count?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It is, other than an eight times world champion being black! But then again, motorsport was created by white men, built by white men, then the Japanese, so it's traditions will relate to those societies. A lot more far eastern companies and competitors are involved from Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and China, but that doesn't answer the fact that black people don't generally get into the sport so readily? It's not as though several African countries are without very wealthy citizens or the means to promote motorsport?    

Seven.

And whilst there are indeed wealthy citizens in many countries, it's a numbers game isn't it. The more people of a particular whatever identifier you want to pick are funded and pushed into motorsport as kids, the more are going to come out racing as adults - and you might get the occasional world-beater.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

I was up the creg in the week and about half way down people were standing on the road and leaning over taking videos.  Seemed very unsafe, especially after the wheelies on the hump 

Standing on the road..? GTF ! Which day, as i marsheled there, and I'll call you out as a liar. Why didn't you notify a marshal, or call the police. 

2 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Another one of the positive posts from the numerous IOM TT Facebook Groups. Maybe we should heed the advice or someone who died nearly 20 years ago. 

C8504EFF-4DA1-4EB5-A1E1-4310588FF403.jpeg

Why shouldn't we? His viewpoint is valid, certainly. So are other people's. But he wasn't trying to force anyone to become a TT racer... some people are trying to prohibit others from being able to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Seven.

And whilst there are indeed wealthy citizens in many countries, it's a numbers game isn't it. The more people of a particular whatever identifier you want to pick are funded and pushed into motorsport as kids, the more are going to come out racing as adults - and you might get the occasional world-beater.

Yes, correct and that's the problem experienced everywhere by all sorts of groups rather than any attempt to keep sectors of a community out of anything. 

I deliberately said eight as I can't accept the decision made by Massi, and it's non reversal by the FIA :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Max Power said:

Yes, correct and that's the problem experienced everywhere by all sorts of groups rather than any attempt to keep sectors of a community out of anything. 

I deliberately said eight as I can't accept the decision made by Massi, and it's non reversal by the FIA :) 

I think motorsport is fairly inclusive at the TT level to be fair. Whether there are other society-wide problems around distribution of wealth which make non-white competitors less likely is probably a valid discussion to have, but not one that we're going to solve on here.

Throughout the course of the season the stewarding was probably equally badly applied against both Max and Lewis. It feels like more of an issue on the last race because it "decided" the championship, but had any of the previous piss-poor bits of stewarding gone differently, they'd have decided the championship too - just earlier in the year. The guy who led more laps than the rest of the field added together won the championship... which feels about right ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Markduc said:

Well this thread has sunk to new lows trying to drag race and gender into it 

you forgot to mention people with a disability tho shame on you. Tut tut

If you think this is a new low I'm not convinced you've read more than this page.

• Haha 1