TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

I would put money on the fact that he would.

Did you ever meet him?  Lovely guy and a massive supporter of all forms of road racing with a very level headed approach to and understanding of the risks involved.

Yes I met Davy several times. But he is one of the two fatalities of this years solo TT which you claim to have been such a success. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Have we measured the worth of this weeks wide ranging publicity in international media against say, that that was generated by the fairy houses? I think that was about 600k? This must be up in the long millions, or maybe long negatives of millions?

Is the government interested in measuring anything which might have negative connotations, unless it can be spun positively?  

13 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

People we’re predicting carnage this year

And it’s arguable that they got it however way you choose to dress it up. The Daily Mail had the footage of the first sidecar on fire against the garden wall on its website. The family whose garden he ended up in are going through trauma counseling. Then almost the same thing happened a few days later killing two members of the same family. It has been pretty much been absolute carnage. The doesn’t suit some peoples narrative and that’s fine. But if you hold that view you shouldn’t expect other people not to have an opinion that it was in fact carnage. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Have we measured the worth of this weeks wide ranging publicity in international media against say, that that was generated by the fairy houses? I think that was about 600k? This must be up in the long millions, or maybe long negatives of millions?

Sadly Derek, it will probably guarantee a bigger attendance at next years event. This is how the human mind works, they may be shocked at the terrible outcome, but are attracted by the danger. 

In some ways similar to visiting Ypres or the Somme perhaps? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

And it’s arguable that they got it however way you choose to dress it up. The Daily Mail had the footage of the first sidecar on fire against the garden wall on its website. The family whose garden he ended up in are going through trauma counseling. Then almost the same thing happened a few days later killing two members of the same family. It has been pretty much been absolute carnage. The doesn’t suit some peoples narrative and that’s fine. But if you hold that view you shouldn’t expect other people not to have an opinion that it was in fact carnage. 

I hope you are not a real Newsdesk person. Your post holds an unfortunate ambiguity.

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The trouble with sidecars is that there are always two casualties and a lot more debris flying about. They tend to be less reliable due to the strain of pulling an extra wheel and rider around and looking at their stability, this year in particular, it appears that they are on a fine line between being on the track and off it? 

I love the sidecars, they are more technically interesting than the showroom solo classes and I like the teamwork and speeds achieved. I just don't know how long they can be fired down Bray Hill in the hope that they will emerge at Quarterbridge? This may be a reaction to the horror of what has happened, but something has caused two machines to have identical accidents. Until we are sure that it can't happen again, I don't see how they can carry on?

I'm not sure you can remove all danger elements from road racing, unless you prohibit it, so to that extent I can see why you posted your last sentence.

However, how many sidecars managed to travel safely without incident through that stretch of road over the course of the fortnight?   Nearly all of them apparently. 

How many sidecar incidents occurred this year on other parts of the course, resulting in serious injuries?  Most of the injuries updates I've read about seem to be in respect of solo riders as far as I know, although I'm not an avid follower so might be wrong.  

20 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

there has not been a serious TT accident on Ago's leap for over 30years , and after resurfacing and other works during covid , 2 almost identical   dreadful fatal accidents ,  we had the same situation further up Bray Hill a few years ago when Mac Hobson and his passenger lost his life  due to a roadworks and a manhole ,     I really hope someone is going to fully investigate the  possible cause  of these racing accidents , 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Liam Beckett the BBC Sports Pundit just on BBC News this morning calling for sidecars to be banned from the TT. 

Yes, and there was someone clucking out the same thing down our pub last night. At least the guy down the pub knew a bit about what he was talking about, although of course he did not have the platform to spout his opinions as Beckett does.

I wonder if the new, smoother surface on the run through from Ago's to QB is tempting/inviting a faster approach through the bottom of Bray? To the best of my recollection there's been no sidecar incidents there since the death of Marty Ames in 1980?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I have already stated that the sidecar event was carnage and that it should be reviewed and possibly removed from the schedule.

but the solo's wasn't, remember. That was a qualified success

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I wonder if the new, smoother surface on the run through from Ago's to QB is tempting/inviting a faster approach through the bottom of Bray? To the best of my recollection there's been no sidecar incidents there since the death of Marty Ames in 1980?

Possibly surface related in my mind, I am sure you're right that Marty Ames was the last one. On TV, moments before the second accident, I commented that the outfits looked as though they were on ice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AOR said:

Yes, and there was someone clucking out the same thing down our pub last night. At least the guy down the pub knew a bit about what he was talking about, although of course he did not have the platform to spout his opinions as Beckett does.

I imagine Liam Beckett MBE knows enough about the subject. He was interviewed from Ballymoney and did most of the BBCs NW200 coverage. It’s odd that people would have an issue with people talking about things. That’s what forums like this and social media in general is for. 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Possibly surface related in my mind, I am sure you're right that Marty Ames was the last one. On TV, moments before the second accident, I commented that the outfits looked as though they were on ice.

Could be that the new surface is too grippy. If the unit gets in the air and comes down hard, if it can't slide it's going to bite hard and perhaps be thrown out of shape and then.....well you know.

Sorry to speculate.