TT 2022 ??

Barlow

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Possibly surface related in my mind, I am sure you're right that Marty Ames was the last one. On TV, moments before the second accident, I commented that the outfits looked as though they were on ice.

The possibility can’t be discounted can it? Hopefully not another potential DOI ‘success story’ resulting in death. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

The trouble with sidecars is that there are always two casualties and a lot more debris flying about. They tend to be less reliable due to the strain of pulling an extra wheel and rider around and looking at their stability, this year in particular, it appears that they are on a fine line between being on the track and off it? 

I love the sidecars, they are more technically interesting than the showroom solo classes and I like the teamwork and speeds achieved. I just don't know how long they can be fired down Bray Hill in the hope that they will emerge at Quarterbridge? This may be a reaction to the horror of what has happened, but something has caused two machines to have identical accidents. Until we are sure that it can't happen again, I don't see how they can carry on?

put a chicane in before agos leap for sidecars ?  shell grip the whole area ?

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

For a start the riders compete knowing the dangers full well. For them, the thrill they get from racing at speeds of up to 200mph in terrifying circumstances outweighs the risks – and it’s their risk to take. These unpretentious leather-clad heroes line up on the starting grid not because they have a death wish but because they understand that the closer we come to death, the greater our sense of being alive. 

The film director Elia Kazan wisely said that you have to risk your life every six months to stay alive. The TT riders risk it every time they set out on the course.”

Worth a read.  Unless you are already got your own firmly entrenched views that it just needs banning and aren’t inclined to look at the other viewpoint.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-danger-and-glory-of-the-isle-of-man-tt

‘The brave do not live for ever, but the cautious do not live at all.’”

You're the biggest fool on here if you believe all that...

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

And it’s arguable that they got it however way you choose to dress it up. The Daily Mail had the footage of the first sidecar on fire against the garden wall on its website. The family whose garden he ended up in are going through trauma counseling. Then almost the same thing happened a few days later killing two members of the same family. It has been pretty much been absolute carnage. The doesn’t suit some peoples narrative and that’s fine. But if you hold that view you shouldn’t expect other people not to have an opinion that it was in fact carnage. 

Sadly five people lost their lives. To label it carnage is just stupid.

11 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

The possibility can’t be discounted can it? Hopefully not another potential DOI ‘success story’ resulting in death. 

That's such a crass, ignorant and cheap comment. It's a road. It's been resurfaced with tarmac, just like 99.9999% of all the roads in the world and to the same spec. 

Some people just cant help themselves making stupid and thoughtless comments can they?

Fair enough, blame the DOI where blame is due (and that's quite often). Not when it clearly isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

That is very much you opinion rather than a fact.

If people want to deny its carnage that’s fine but as an alternative what is the right word for someone slamming into a brick wall at 150 mph in a fireball and then their mangled remains being fired onto someone lawn if it isn’t absolute carnage? Serious question of what that sort of outcome could be called as an alternative if you don’t think it’s carnage?

2 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

That is very much you opinion rather than a fact.

Option a - dribbling in a chair and unable to feed or wash yourself at 93 having had no real quality of life for years.

Option b. - slow painful death from cancer in your forties watching you family see you deteriorating for months and unable to help.

Option c - instant death in your thirties living out a lifelong dream and absolutely buzzing with adrenaline and feeling more alive than most of the population ever will.

C every time for me thanks.

You don’t have to agree, but surely you can accept different views on living and death?

What a silly analogy. Riders don't usually die by option c.  Most survive. If they want to die quickly then throwing yourself under a train is  quicker and less risk of having option a at age 30 option.

• Like 2

On the subject of road conditions, it’s a road race so it’s a public road first and a race track second, the riders have to work with what they’re presented with and I’ve heard several sections of the course mentioned over radio/TT plus the past week which are considered less than ideal, but that is all part of road racing. If the road does have a defect it’s something all the other sidecars avoided, the Stocktons outfit also went down Bray Hill after already completing 1 lap and with prior knowledge of the previous sidecar incident. So if there is a road defect it would suggest it’s off the typical racing line. 

Those aren't the only options and you're focusing on the end. Option a will have had more 40 or 50 years of holidays, children growing, career successes, love affairs, parties, music, their team winning before their decline that option c misses out on.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's such a crass, ignorant and cheap comment. It's a road. It's been resurfaced with tarmac, just like 99.9999% of all the roads in the world and to the same spec. 

Some people just cant help themselves making stupid and thoughtless comments can they?

Fair enough, blame the DOI where blame is due (and that's quite often). Not when it clearly isn't. 

one would assume the ACU signed off on the surface as suitable ?

36 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I don't think the road surface has caused the incidents, and certainly not the 1st, tarmac is used in plenty of the other high-speed areas (the 11th Milestone where cornering adhesion is critical was surfaced with the same stuff earlier this year and there's been no incidents there since). Tyre compounds stick like chewing gum these days too.

As posted previously though, I think that the new, smoother run down to QB is inviting riders to hit it a bit faster to save some tenths. That can lead to other things....

• Like 1