TT 2022 ??

Barlow

28 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

On the subject of road conditions, it’s a road race so it’s a public road first and a race track second, the riders have to work with what they’re presented with and I’ve heard several sections of the course mentioned over radio/TT plus the past week which are considered less than ideal, but that is all part of road racing. If the road does have a defect it’s something all the other sidecars avoided, the Stocktons outfit also went down Bray Hill after already completing 1 lap and with prior knowledge of the previous sidecar incident. So if there is a road defect it would suggest it’s off the typical racing line. 

24 minutes ago, WTF said:

one would assume the ACU signed off on the surface as suitable ?

I wouldn't suggest that there is anything wrong with the road surface, I think if anything that it may relate to the sequence of the suspension bottoming out at the bottom of Bray Hill, then fully extending at Brunswick Road and how it reacts when it lands again, in combination with the tyre deflection. As I said, the other outfits looked unstable at this very point on TV. I've never ridden a sidecar outfit, and what I've said is based on what I've learned with solos, and there again, it could be total bollocks.

You may remember the reaction of Mark Higgins car at Selbourne Drive a few years ago?

Edited by Max Power
Add comment

21 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

It seems some people have a big issue with people having free speech when they say things they don’t agree with. 

3BD2637F-FA02-40A4-A3DF-2858BC3FFAA7.jpeg

"Some normal member of the public on FB has daft opinions" is pretty low hanging fruit innit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

I imagine Liam Beckett MBE knows enough about the subject. He was interviewed from Ballymoney and did most of the BBCs NW200 coverage. It’s odd that people would have an issue with people talking about things. That’s what forums like this and social media in general is for. 

I have no issue with anyone taking about this.

What I do find odd though, is people latching onto someone else's words  "Oh, so-and-so says this, same as me, so there" type of thing. 

19 minutes ago, AOR said:

I have no issue with anyone taking about this.

What I do find odd though, is people latching onto someone else's words  "Oh, so-and-so says this, same as me, so there" type of thing. 

That seems to be a rather bizarre issue to have. Why would someone not want to refer to the opinion expressed by an expert who appeared on BBC News this morning? That’s very much what news bulletins are for to inform the public and encourage debate. 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Sadly Derek, it will probably guarantee a bigger attendance at next years event. This is how the human mind works, they may be shocked at the terrible outcome, but are attracted by the danger. 

In some ways similar to visiting Ypres or the Somme perhaps? 

If you think about that, that's really silly.  No one goes to the WWI battlefields expecting to see young men being mown down by machine gun fire or visits Auschwitz and complains because they didn't see and Jews being gassed.

And if you genuinely think that the only way of increasing attendance at the TT is by pandering to the psychopath market, then maybe we should call it off now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you think about that, that's really silly.  No one goes to the WWI battlefields expecting to see young men being mown down by machine gun fire or visits Auschwitz and complains because they didn't see and Jews being gassed.

And if you genuinely think that the only way of increasing attendance at the TT is by pandering to the psychopath market, then maybe we should call it off now.

I don't see anywhere in Max's post that implies that it's the only, or even the predominant, way to increase the attendance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The trouble with all this blaming those pesky sidecars and pretending that there would be no problems without them is that the facts don't support this position.  If you look at the 69 deaths on the Course from 2000 on[1] only 10 of them (14%) involved sidecars.  Before this year that was only 7 (11%).  So very much a minority of deaths and fatal accidents. 

[1]  And the fact that these represent 26% of all deaths on the Course, suggests it's getting more dangerous, not less.   I haven't included the 6 non-competitor deaths in the period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not what I'm implying, I don't for a minute think anyone comes to the TT wanting to see anyone killed or injured. There is a human morbid curiosity unfortunately, it's that I was hinting at!

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble with all this blaming those pesky sidecars and pretending that there would be no problems without them is that the facts don't support this position.  If you look at the 69 deaths on the Course from 2000 on[1] only 10 of them (14%) involved sidecars.  Before this year that was only 7 (11%).  So very much a minority of deaths and fatal accidents. 

[1]  And the fact that these represent 26% of all deaths on the Course, suggests it's getting more dangerous, not less.   I haven't included the 6 non-competitor deaths in the period.

Sidecars only represent a small part of the entry and number of laps completed too Roger. This has to be considered.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

That seems to be a rather bizarre issue to have. Why would someone not want to refer to the opinion expressed by an expert who appeared on BBC News this morning? That’s very much what news bulletins are for to inform the public and encourage debate. 

He' not an expert though, is he. That's the point. As far as the TT and this particular issue is concerned, Liam Thingy is a talking head at most. The BBC are doing what you are doing. Find someone with some connection or other to motorbikes and is a big name, then farm their opinion.

Edited by AOR
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think the only way to get any sense out of such stats is going to be to figure it out per x number of competitor miles.

3 minutes ago, AOR said:

He' not an expert though, is he. That's the point. As far as the TT and this particular issue is concerned, Liam Thingy is a talking head at most. The BBC are doing what you are doing. Find someone with some connection or other to motorbikes and is a big name, then farm their opinion.

He’s one of the BBCs motorsport reporters and he did a lot of the NW200 reporting. Of course he’s an expert. Or are you claiming that you’re a better self appointed anonymous forum expert then someone who is paid by the BBC to provide reportage on high profile motorcycling events?