TT 2022 ??

Barlow

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Celibacy doesn't 'cure' homosexuality and once the origins of AIDS was known, most homosexuals practiced safe sex.  Gladiators were invariably slaves who would die either way.

Exactly you are not too bright tonight

29 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Jokes don’t go down too well on here. It seems to be getting so very woke. It doesn’t seem to be about little else but who cries first and loudest about being outraged by something that was said by someone else. Even if it was a joke or an extreme example to provoke a response. Best avoided really. 

Jokes are fine. Let us know when you make one.

41 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Gladiators were invariably slaves who would die either way.

Not actually true:

[...] the paid volunteers (auctorati) who by the late Republic may have comprised approximately half – and possibly the most capable half – of all gladiators.

For the poor, and for non-citizens, enrollment in a gladiator school offered a trade, regular food, housing of sorts and a fighting chance of fame and fortune. [...] Gladiators customarily kept their prize money and any gifts they received, and these could be substantial. Tiberius offered several retired gladiators 100,000 sesterces each to return to the arena

However it's true that they technically didn't fight against lions.  That was the job of the bestiarii, while the term gladiator was reserved for those who fought other men.

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not actually true:

[...] the paid volunteers (auctorati) who by the late Republic may have comprised approximately half – and possibly the most capable half – of all gladiators.

For the poor, and for non-citizens, enrollment in a gladiator school offered a trade, regular food, housing of sorts and a fighting chance of fame and fortune. [...] Gladiators customarily kept their prize money and any gifts they received, and these could be substantial. Tiberius offered several retired gladiators 100,000 sesterces each to return to the arena

However it's true that they technically didn't fight against lions.  That was the job of the bestiarii, while the term gladiator was reserved for those who fought other men.

That is quite a selective quote, Roger.  Gladiators were despised as slaves, but later gained renown and status hinted at the late Republuc reference.  

Edited by Gladys

Just now, manxman1980 said:

So you have never accidentally run over any wildlife in your car? Ever?

How about insects on your windscreen?  They are wildlife as well..

No I have not as I don't drive erratically to the extent that I can't avoid killing a wild bird or other animal.  As for smaller creatures ie bugs, I have accidentally swallowed one or two cycling but always try to cough them back up so they can fly away.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I mean if we're saying deaths are fine because they know the risk, maybe we should throw up a coliseum and allow extreme cage fighting to the death? 

That would be popular.

I take it you want boxing banned as well - people die doing that and the objective of the participant is to hurt his rival?

And then we have the issues of footballers heading the ball, and god knows what harm the collisions in rugby cause.

For sure, they need to have a long and serious look at what has happened in this years races, and what can be learnt, both the facilitators and the competitors. But how risk adverse do you want society to be? How many die from drinking, smoking or even swimming, etc etc.

We have to be allowed a level of personal choice, I guess it's where you draw the line, and who draws the line.

In the meantime, we could leave the hyperbole out of it.

• Like 2