TT 2022 ??

Barlow

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

HMmmm? Do I really need to say this? By not doing the activity if it's too dangerous and death is almost certain maybe?

How many activities do we undertake where death is 'almost certain'. Not that many I'd say. I know what you're inferring but I am pretty sure it's not 'almost certain'.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

HMmmm? Do I really need to say this? By not doing the activity if it's too dangerous and death is almost certain maybe?

Death isn't almost certain for the individual. For the whole event it is. But death is certain for a number of people commuting each year too...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

You appear to have mixed up "certain" with the word "possible"

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

How many activities do we undertake where death is 'almost certain'. Not that many I'd say. I know what you're inferring but I am pretty sure it's not 'almost certain'.

I can assure you I haven't. Why do you assume I was talking about TT? It was an example of of when you would not do an activity. If you have a brain (which you clearly have)  and actually read what's written (and the post I responding to) instead of what you assume is written you would be able to work that out for yourself.

FTR - Death for any particular individual in the TT is, in the main, possible. I agree. Death for at least one individual is becoming almost certain.

Edited by Happier diner
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Youaintseenme said:

And between birth and death it is down to the individual if they live a full life or simply exist.

Living tends to involve taking risks.  it’s not in everyone and some will never understand but the thrill that comes from living on the edge sometimes is what makes some people tick.

The world would be a much worse place in 2022 if there hadn’t been people who loved to take risk and live their lives to the full.

Often with no thought of the cost to others (both emotionally and financially)?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I can assure you I haven't. Why do you assume I was talking about TT? It was an example of of when you would not do an activity. If you have a brain (which you clearly have)  and actually read what's written (and the post I responding to) instead of what you assume is written you would be able to work that out for yourself.

FTR - Death for any particular individual in the TT is, in the main, possible. I agree. Death for at least one individual is becoming almost certain.

possibly because you are whining on a TT thread you balloon knot...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It was an example of of when you would not do an activity. If you have a brain (which you clearly have)  and actually read what's written (and the post I responding to) instead of what you assume is written you would be able to work that out for yourself.

I may be missing something here but you seem to be suggesting that people should not do an activity when there is the potential for serious injury or fatality on the basis that it would certainly happen for someone. 

That just doesn't add up because even many day to day activities can result in possible serious injury or death including using a staircase, crossing a road, driving or being a passenger in a motor vehicle, hiking, playing football etc.

There are very few activities which do not carry am element of risk.  You seem very risk adverse which is fine, however, others aren't and that is okay too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Passing Time said:

You should have carried on reading

"But the more I think about it, the more I realise that actually, losing a leg doesn’t have to be that big of a deal, if you don’t want it to be. I’ve seen people run marathons, climb mountains, race bikes and do all sorts of stuff, with prosthetic limbs. Things will be different, but it’s not the end of the world…. and crashing where I did, could (and probably should) have been a lot worse."

I read all of it, the underlying impression is he’s still feeling a bit shit about everything but is trying to think positive to get himself through the situation.

Only when I see a video of him laughing and joking about getting legless or going out on a limb is when I truly believe he’s over it, until then it’s a sink or swim situation and he’s in troubled water doing his best to swim. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I may be missing something here but you seem to be suggesting that people should not do an activity when there is the potential for serious injury or fatality on the basis that it would certainly happen for someone. 

That just doesn't add up because even many day to day activities can result in possible serious injury or death including using a staircase, crossing a road, driving or being a passenger in a motor vehicle, hiking, playing football etc.

There are very few activities which do not carry am element of risk.  You seem very risk adverse which is fine, however, others aren't and that is okay too.

I am not risk averse. Where have you got that conclusion from?

All activities have risks. Some negligible, some moderate, some high, some extreme.  Racing TT would go into the highest possible category. It's not a view, its a fact.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to do high risk activities. What I am asking is that should those who do activities where the risk passes a certain threshold, is it right for society to have to pay the price and for other people to relegated down the order for their treatment? IMV the answer is no. 

In many countries for some sports you would have to take out extra insurance and the state would not fund anything other than immediate treatment. I believe an example is off piste skiing in US.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Just to add.  If we start only funding health care for people who take low risks then all married men should have to pay for their future healthcare as they consciously decided to partake in a high risk activity with increased chances of heart attack, high blood pressure etc.

And married women, because most women who are murdered are murdered by their husband.

I think what Happy Diner is saying, and what I meant by my original post questioning who pays for the treatment of crashes on the TT races is this ---

Why on earth should IOM Taxpayers and the UK taxpayer, be paying for the rebuilding of bones and the reconstruction of facial features at multi million pound cost, for people who choose to ride in an event that is promoted by the IOM government as a MONEY MAKING ENTERPRISE?

It is nothing like mountain bikers, nothing like like weekend rugby players and even Snaefell mountain climbers. 

They are hobbies, the TT and the MGP are now sold on the ticket of money making enterprise for the islands economy,

In fact the events are now touted as ESSENTIAL(see "007 Alf's" interview on MTV)  to the survival of the islands tourist economy,

So 5 dead this year seem not to matter.

Plenty more willing to die here for our IOM profit, good - oh!

That means lots more deaths to come next TT and even before then, don't forget the  MGP "wobbler/ newbie" deathfest for the OAPs and kids.........

That is why the treatment of body destroying injury and/ or disfigurement resulting from a "money making enterprise" event, should be paid for by the promoting body, in his case IOM gov AND NOT US TAXPAYERS HERE OR THE REST OF THE WORLD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1