TT 2022 ??

Barlow

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

End 2 end mountain bike event is pitched as an attraction to bring visitors here by the government.

People are injured and die doing that as well.  Do you want that banned?

It is not promoted as essential to our economy or even organised by the IOM government.

Big difference, Boy

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I think what Happy Diner is saying, and what I meant by my original post questioning who pays for the treatment of crashes on the TT races is this ---

Why on earth should IOM Taxpayers and the UK taxpayer, be paying for the rebuilding of bones and the reconstruction of facial features at multi million pound cost, for people who choose to ride in an event that is promoted by the IOM government as a MONEY MAKING ENTERPRISE?

It is nothing like mountain bikers, nothing like like weekend rugby players and even Snaefell mountain climbers. 

They are hobbies, the TT and the MGP are now sold on the ticket of money making enterprise for the islands economy,

In fact the events are now touted as ESSENTIAL(see "007 Alf's" interview on MTV)  to the survival of the islands tourist economy,

So 5 dead this year seem not to matter.

Plenty more willing to die here for our IOM profit, good - oh!

That means lots more deaths to come next TT and even before then, don't forget the  MGP "wobbler/ newbie" deathfest for the OAPs and kids.........

That is why the treatment of body destroying injury and/ or disfigurement resulting from a "money making enterprise" event, should be paid for by the promoting body, in his case IOM gov AND NOT US TAXPAYERS HERE OR THE REST OF THE WORLD.

The Scottish, Welsh, English promote going there for hiking, mountaineering, rock climbing, etc. etc. All activities where there are thousands of incidents every year, probably 10's or hundreds of injuries that need hospital treatment, many serious and life changing injuries and sadly many deaths. Because they promote us to go there to do that, should they pay if we get injured (They being the respective governments)..........?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

Taken from this year’s official medical information.

For UK residents, if you require admission to the hospital, the cost is covered by the Reciprocal Health Agreement between the Isle of Man and the UK. However, the cost of repatriation to the UK (if required) may not be covered so you should ensure that you have insurance to cover that. For Non UK residents, the cost of hospital admissions is not covered so you need to ensure that you have appropriate insurance to cover any medical costs (including repatriation to your home country).

Can we stop whining about this one now? There’s a reciprocal agreement. Entrants are insured. 

That is well known

Is it moral that we have to pay, as part of our taxes and the UK taxpayers, for the disfigurement caused by a money making enterprise on the IOM? promoted by IOM government as money making?

Say.....If I setup a competition, of any type, that paid the winner money and caused death and destruction, and I was going to personally profit from the competition,

Would you think it okay that the persons injured were patched up via general taxpayers funds and I walked away with a HUGE hip full of cash?

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I think what Happy Diner is saying, and what I meant by my original post questioning who pays for the treatment of crashes on the TT races is this ---

Why on earth should IOM Taxpayers and the UK taxpayer, be paying for the rebuilding of bones and the reconstruction of facial features at multi million pound cost, for people who choose to ride in an event that is promoted by the IOM government as a MONEY MAKING ENTERPRISE?

It is nothing like mountain bikers, nothing like like weekend rugby players and even Snaefell mountain climbers. 

They are hobbies, the TT and the MGP are now sold on the ticket of money making enterprise for the islands economy,

In fact the events are now touted as ESSENTIAL(see "007 Alf's" interview on MTV)  to the survival of the islands tourist economy,

So 5 dead this year seem not to matter.

Plenty more willing to die here for our IOM profit, good - oh!

That means lots more deaths to come next TT and even before then, don't forget the  MGP "wobbler/ newbie" deathfest for the OAPs and kids.........

That is why the treatment of body destroying injury and/ or disfigurement resulting from a "money making enterprise" event, should be paid for by the promoting body, in his case IOM gov AND NOT US TAXPAYERS HERE OR THE REST OF THE WORLD.

The riders insurance cover the medical bills , tax payers don’t 

look it up , it ain’t difficult 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

End 2 end mountain bike event is pitched as an attraction to bring visitors here by the government.

People are injured and die doing that as well.  Do you want that banned?

You may well have missed the boat on that one, it's already been cancelled

7 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I’m uncomfortable with your spurious allegations

They aren't spurious allegations, as in fake, bogus, false, phoney. This unfortunate chap did crash during the TT and has suffered awful injuries as a result. He was hospitalised, airlifted onwards and will need intensive medical interventions for years to come. People can fairly have the view that this is a price worth paying to hold the event, but it must also be the case that other people can hold the opposite view, that the cost in lives and suffering is just too high.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I may be missing something here but you seem to be suggesting that people should not do an activity when there is the potential for serious injury or fatality on the basis that it would certainly happen for someone. 

That just doesn't add up because even many day to day activities can result in possible serious injury or death including using a staircase, crossing a road, driving or being a passenger in a motor vehicle, hiking, playing football etc.

There are very few activities which do not carry am element of risk.  You seem very risk adverse which is fine, however, others aren't and that is okay too.

I think Happy Diner is trying to get across the idea that the level or degree of risks in the TT is of a different order to the things you mention, in fact they are so great that the event should be stopped. For example there are millions of individual hikes taken in the Lake District every year and of those millions an average of twenty people a year end up dead and hundreds hurt themselves seriously enough to need bringing down as a direct consequence of setting off on the hike. For most people that's an acceptable level of risk. The TT has a hundred or so competitors of which five are dead and others badly hurt which is a level of risk that is so high it has to be a valid question to ask if the event should be stopped.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The Scottish, Welsh, English promote going there for hiking, mountaineering, rock climbing, etc. etc. All activities where there are thousands of incidents every year, probably 10's or hundreds of injuries that need hospital treatment, many serious and life changing injuries and sadly many deaths. Because they promote us to go there to do that, should they pay if we get injured (They being the respective governments)..........?

Sorry to bang on, and I can only talk about the Lake District but there are an average of twenty deaths a year on the fells and perhaps a thousand injuries that need hospitalisation, overwhelmingly in the broken ankle category. The general consensus is that walking on the fells is beneficial to the health of millions and that the casualty rate is an acceptable risk.

2 minutes ago, Expat. said:

Sorry to bang on, and I can only talk about the Lake District but there are an average of twenty deaths a year on the fells and perhaps a thousand injuries that need hospitalisation, overwhelmingly in the broken ankle category. The general consensus is that walking on the fells is beneficial to the health of millions and that the casualty rate is an acceptable risk.

Oh yes I understand the scale is different. The TT is what though, a few days in total? If it was happening all summer, does that make a difference? I don't know. Just trying to rationalise it in my head. Is one death too many? Could you apply that to any pastime where death could result? 

It's honestly not worth the stress of worrying about the TT. 

Yes, it's abhorrent, reflects badly on the Isle of Man internationally and the organisers have a lot of blood on their hands... but it's not going to change. Yes, they're going to kill a load of spectators one day when a bike goes into a 'grandstand'. 

The TT is a cancer on the island that can't be removed. 

So until the big one, crack on! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's honestly not worth the stress of worrying about the TT. 

Yes, it's abhorrent, reflects badly on the Isle of Man internationally and the organisers have a lot of blood on their hands... but it's not going to change. Yes, they're going to kill a load of spectators one day when a bike goes into a 'grandstand'. 

The TT is a cancer on the island that can't be removed. 

So until the big one, crack on! 

No doubt you are sat in your hovel awaiting the opportunity to gloat and say I told you so. What a sad little individual you are

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1